Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• I hate this ref, irritates me.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm clearly in a minority here but gutted to see a team that gets into a WC semifinal by grinding teams down and hope for a penalty shootout.
    Oh I think most would rather see Brazil through compared to Croatia.

Doesnt stop their defeat being funny though
    You may be right: not many seem happy that Croatia is in the semis - mostly that Neymar's ego has been deflated.

But I can't see how anyone could be inspired to love football by watching that win.
    What about a 10 year old child, from a county of less than 4 million people just beat the most famous national team in history with a population of about 210 million people?
    Yeah, 'anyone' was a bit strong on my part, but the 210 million in Brazil would think that watchable football doesn't pay, which would be a shame.
    I think "negative" football is perfectly valid if its your best chance of winning.  No point being positive and "nice to watch" if you don't win. 
  • Being half 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 half 🇭🇷 I am hoping for the pair in the final. I hate losing - how I have survived following the Addicks for so long - no idea? 

Fancy the Dutch to upset Argentina. Great WC at the moment.
  • Christ on a bike! How many Argies out there!

I thought the Argentina economy was in bits??
    Lots of Asians support Brazil and Argentina and I expect a lot of them are at these matches.

The surrogate Brazil-Argentina rivalry in Bangladesh is mad
  • Brilliant from Messi.
  • The game needed that. Good goal
  • Some through ball that. Striker took it well too. Good goal.
  • Unbelievable ball from the 🐐 
  • Sponsored links:

• Both average teams separated by a world class player
  • Both average teams separated by a world class player
    If Argentina are average then the Dutch are definitely way below average.
  • FIFA will certainly be hoping Argentina progress, based on what i've seen today a Holland v Croatia semi final in that 90k stadium at Lusail could be embarrassingly empty.
  • FIFA will certainly be hoping Argentina progress, based on what i've seen today a Holland v Croatia semi final in that 90k stadium at Lusail could be embarrassingly empty.
    Surely a World Cup semi final will be a sell out regardless of who’s playing? Absolutely shocking if not
  • se9addick said:
    FIFA will certainly be hoping Argentina progress, based on what i've seen today a Holland v Croatia semi final in that 90k stadium at Lusail could be embarrassingly empty.
    Surely a World Cup semi final will be a sell out regardless of who’s playing? Absolutely shocking if not
    Not if most of the tickets have been bought by Brazil/Argie fans who then won't go or even locals who wanted to see Brazil or Messi.
  • Might be my memory failing me but I feel like 10/15 years ago blatant deliberate handballs like that one were a pretty much guaranteed red card, doesn’t seem to happen anymore. 
  • Argentines losing their rag a bit.
  • Might be my memory failing me but I feel like 10/15 years ago blatant deliberate handballs like that one were a pretty much guaranteed red card, doesn’t seem to happen anymore. 
    They never were if it wasn't to prevent a goal
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm clearly in a minority here but gutted to see a team that gets into a WC semifinal by grinding teams down and hope for a penalty shootout.

You may be right: not many seem happy that Croatia is in the semis - mostly that Neymar's ego has been deflated.

But I can't see how anyone could be inspired to love football by watching that win.
    What about a 10 year old child, from a county of less than 4 million people just beat the most famous national team in history with a population of about 210 million people?
    Yeah, 'anyone' was a bit strong on my part, but the 210 million in Brazil would think that watchable football doesn't pay, which would be a shame.
    I think "negative" football is perfectly valid if its your best chance of winning.  No point being positive and "nice to watch" if you don't win. 
    I often wonder about this: would I rather watch amazing football and lose, or a lucky win from a really dull team full of journeymen and 'seasoned pros'.

I would hope the amazing football would win in the long run, so I'd go for the former.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I often wonder about this: would I rather watch amazing football and lose, or a lucky win from a really dull team full of journeymen and 'seasoned pros'.

I would hope the amazing football would win in the long run, so I'd go for the former.
    I’d be very happy with Charlton winning every match 1-0 with hoofball. If I’m watching a match as a neutral then quality of football becomes a consideration. 
  • Sponsored links:

• No better win, as a supporter, than a backs to the wall ground out away win where you face a barrage then have one shot on target in the 89th minute and it goes in.
    As a neutral, different story altogether.
  • IdleHans said:
    No better win, as a supporter, than a backs to the wall ground out away win where you face a barrage then have one shot on target in the 89th minute and it goes in.
    It's a strange one that doing that at home is less acceptable. It's the old "it's up to the home team to entertain". But is it if the ends justify the means anyway? 
  • Anyone got a spare paper bag?

🤮
  • According to Rio that Messi pass ‘defied physics’

Knob.
  • IdleHans said:
    No better win, as a supporter, than a backs to the wall ground out away win where you face a barrage then have one shot on target in the 89th minute and it goes in.
    It also depends on how good you are.

If you're playing opponents that are much better than you, then it's entirely justifiable to try and play negatively, whereas if you have excellent attacking players, and sacrifice that to just counter the opposition, you'll get slaughtered if you lose!
  • Well yes, everyone has this list 

Free flowing attractive winning football. 
    Pragmatic winning football. 
    Free flow attractive losing football. 
    Any other losing football. 

• I don’t think people wanted Croatia to win, they just wanted Brazil to lose. 
  • se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I’d be very happy with Charlton winning every match 1-0 with hoofball. If I’m watching a match as a neutral then quality of football becomes a consideration. 
    Yeah, me too. I guess that's possible in some scenario/leagues (knock out competitions being a prime example).

I guess ultimately football is entertainment (or life and death?) but I don't think it is sustainable as such with hoofball (not being a rugby fan, I would say it's one of the reasons rugby is not as popular world wide as football).
  • I'm clearly in a minority here but gutted to see a team that gets into a WC semifinal by grinding teams down and hope for a penalty shootout.
    Normally I might agree. 

But as it's Brazil and their stupid dance I say fuck em.