Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Remind me - is the order of the first 5 takers set in stone before the shootout starts, or could it be switched up? Could they have brought Neymar up the order one to take the fourth?
    Pretty sure the referee is given a list of the five takers.

Then for sudden death its whoever has the balls
    Given a list yes, but the question is - is that list ordered and set in stone? I see no reason why it should be and there should be some tactics allowed?? I'm sure there is some obscure FIFA law 5.6.735J: amendment 12 or some other such nonsense that says it has to be though !
  • By the time of the next WC it will be 24 years since Brazil since won. Indeed if Argentina don't win, it will be 24 years since a non European side won.

Just a guess but it might be something to do with the European players playing with and against the best of Brazil and Argentina week in week out. They know their games far better than they used to.
  • Too many discounting Portugal (who do need to get past Morocco first themselves of course).
    They looked frighteningly good the other night
    Us, France and Portugal have all looked really good at various points during the tournament and at other times have looked very ordinary. Really not much at all between them. 
  • I'm clearly in a minority here but gutted to see a team that gets into a WC semifinal by grinding teams down and hope for a penalty shootout.
  • edited December 2022
    bobmunro said:
    By the time of the next WC it will be 24 years since Brazil since won. Indeed if Argentina don't win, it will be 24 years since a non European side won.

Just a guess but it might be something to do with the European players playing with and against the best of Brazil and Argentina week in week out. They know their games far better than they used to.
    I think what made Brazilian and Argentinian players unique - which was their ability on the ball in one-on-one situations - has been adopted into the coaching of European youth systems and their edge in international competitions has waded as a result. 
  • I'm clearly in a minority here but gutted to see a team that gets into a WC semifinal by grinding teams down and hope for a penalty shootout.
    Oh I think most would rather see Brazil through compared to Croatia.

Doesnt stop their defeat being funny though
  • bobmunro said:
    By the time of the next WC it will be 24 years since Brazil since won. Indeed if Argentina don't win, it will be 24 years since a non European side won.

Do the odds massively favour a European team winning it the more teams in it, the more likely the winners are European?

I suspect they do. 
    I would have liked to see a Brazil vs. Argentina semi-final. I suspect we may get Netherlands vs. Croatia which is much less appealing on paper.

I've never minded teams that grind results out though. It's a legitimate way to win at football and the way that different sports have room for contrasting styles, and seeing those contrasting styles come up against each other, is part of what makes sport fascinating.

You may be right: not many seem happy that Croatia is in the semis - mostly that Neymar's ego has been deflated.

But I can't see how anyone could be inspired to love football by watching that win.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Surely that works both ways though

You may be right: not many seem happy that Croatia is in the semis - mostly that Neymar's ego has been deflated.

But I can't see how anyone could be inspired to love football by watching that win.
    What about a 10 year old child, from a county of less than 4 million people just beat the most famous national team in history with a population of about 210 million people?
  • Yet another MWF on the BBC. Didn't they do all this last time?
    (Messi wankfest)
  • All European semis?
    After this result, yes, quite a lot.
    Full stiffies in the rest of South America.
  • Likely to be another close one tonight. An Argentina defeat would leave Morocco as the only non european team left. Don't think many would have predicted that.
  • It's very seasonal , The Netherlands national anthem: 'On the first day of Christmas' 
  • ...and a red card for Lionel Messi
  • Croatia have only held a lead for 46 minutes during the tournament (vs Canada) and find themselves in the semi final.
    I would have liked to see a Brazil vs. Argentina semi-final. I suspect we may get Netherlands vs. Croatia which is much less appealing on paper.

I've never minded teams that grind results out though. It's a legitimate way to win at football and the way that different sports have room for contrasting styles, and seeing those contrasting styles come up against each other, is part of what makes sport fascinating.
    I like contrasting styles too, but can't say I would get excited about Netherlands vs Croatia.

I'd rather Morocco vs Japan, Argentina vs England etc. An all European final does not inspire me imho.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Psychologically it's hard to be scared of players when you're so familiar with them. Especially when many of them aren't even at the top European sides.
  • Been even less impressed with The Netherlands in this tournament than Croatia.
    Croatia massively upped their game today, but not sure the Dutch can do the same.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm clearly in a minority here but gutted to see a team that gets into a WC semifinal by grinding teams down and hope for a penalty shootout.

What about a 10 year old child, from a county of less than 4 million people just beat the most famous national team in history with a population of about 210 million people?
    Yeah, 'anyone' was a bit strong on my part, but the 210 million in Brazil would think that watchable football doesn't pay, which would be a shame.
  • Keeper lucky to get away with that pass out.
  • Dutch fans clearly didn't fancy turning up for this one.
  • Dutch fans clearly didn't fancy turning up for this one.
    Spent all their money following Max Verstappen.
  • Netherlands Argentina feels like a proper world cup match. The sort of fixture you'd play on FIFA 94 on the Mega Drive.
  • Christ on a bike! How many Argies out there!

I thought the Argentina economy was in bits??

I like contrasting styles too, but can't say I would get excited about Netherlands vs Croatia.

I'd rather Morocco vs Japan, Argentina vs England etc. An all European final does not inspire me imho.
    We played in one a few years ago.  It seemed to inspire quite a lot of people back then...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm clearly in a minority here but gutted to see a team that gets into a WC semifinal by grinding teams down and hope for a penalty shootout.

Yeah, 'anyone' was a bit strong on my part, but the 210 million in Brazil would think that watchable football doesn't pay, which would be a shame.
    In general, people do appreciate attractive, attacking sides. Hence why the Brazil 1970 team is idolised whereas the 1994 team isn't. And why the 1970s Dutch sides are loved far more than the functional one which reached the WC final in 2010.

As such a football powerhouse, with such a history, Brazil do have the pressure from their fans of being expected to win AND to win it the Brazilian way.