Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Makes me laugh when pundits complain about VAR decisions

Remember them complaining before it was introduced saying that it would take away the talking points
    No talking points = no need for pundits.
    Is the word 'pundit' used for any other sport or domain other than football?

'Pundit' comes from Hindi, meaning 'learned man or scholar' so it's quite inappropriate. I would rather call them 'waffleheads.'
  • Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 
    yeah...  because teams are always as good as they were 4 years previously... lol

you forgot about Belgium in our group btw ;) bye for the whole tournament right??
    Don’t think we played Germany and Denmark 4 years ago 
    Belgium were good 4 years ago
    all the other shit we played were pony 4 years ago 
    so.. you agree with me then..? 

teams being good in the past doesn't = good now.

glad we cleared that up
    I’m saying teams from 4 years ago we played were pony then (Belgium apart) 
    and teams last year in euros were pony and we duly dispatched all the pony teams 
    except Croatia 4 years ago 
    and if it helps a team is likely to be nearer to how they were  17 months on rather than 53 months on
    You can only beat what's in front of you.

We played Sweden in 2018 because Germany messed up in their group, Croatia because they were better than Argentina, Denmark last year because Netherlands lost in their part of the draw.

By the very fact those types of teams reached QFs, Semis, they were better than those that failed to.
    And we are better than all other London teams looking at the league cup .

better teams do mess up and don’t go as far as others 
    who would we rather in our side of the group Spain or Japan🤷‍♂️
    as ever we want the better teams to not qualify and I’d say I’d prefer to play Japan over Germany.

and of course we can only beat who we play but there are easier draws and we certainly had and took advantage of them last two tourneys , Croatia apart , who I believe everyone would take , at that point in time , forever for a World Cup semi final opponent forever …

who we all cheering on in France v Poland … exactly 
    Yeah but you said our knockout games in the euros were byes - that's very different to saying they were "easier" games on paper. A bye means an automatic win. And you based that assumption on results at a different tournament 18 months later.

In other words.. its bollocks.

in the knockout stage of the euros we had as pony a german team as there has been in our lifetimes
    ukraine in quarters , yes that one that lost to Wales
    Denmark in the semis .. come on they are as easy as we could wish for

i mean are you gonna take things literally,  please don't , of course we've had super easy draws last two tourneys and have performed decent enough , i think we've had the luck of the draw and took advantage till the failure in euros final and losing to croatia in a world cup semi 
    What if Poland beat France and we beat Senegal then Poland. Will Poland still be 'pony' to you?

If we beat Senegal and then France, will you give it a rest? 

Remember them complaining before it was introduced saying that it would take away the talking points

'Pundit' comes from Hindi, meaning 'learned man or scholar' so it's quite inappropriate. I would rather call them 'waffleheads.'
    or 'wafflaihaiad' in Hindi
  • Jesus and Telles ruled out for the rest of the tournament for Brazil
  • It's a blow but Jesus isn't really that critical for them. Their main priority is trying to get Neymar fit in time for the later rounds, i don't think they'll win it if he doesn't return. 
  • Argentina should beat the Aussies today but I quite fancy the US against the Dutch in the first game. Hopefully we'll see a few goals.
  • Good luck to Australia today.

My prediction that game will be 0-0 right up until 80th min then Messi taps one in
  • US manage to sing the anthem in time!

Yes, "pundit" is used in politics to describe someone who goes on TV to talk about the government or elections without ever doing a political job like being a minister or running an election campaign. The only real difference is that in football pundits are a mix of journalists and ex-players whereas in politics they tend to be journalists and lobbyists. So yopu might say a political pundit knows the theory but not the practice, while a football pundit often knows about the practice of 20 years ago but is out of touch with the modern game.
  • Oh the USA have to take chances like that, they've started well
  • Sponsored links:

• You have to think Pulisic will regret not making more of that chance.

US have started brightly.
  • edited December 2022
    Great team goal, flowing football, accurate passing and quality finish 👏
  • edited December 2022
    Sublime 21 pass move from the Dutch with a great finish at the end. After 10 minutes of defending they found a high gear to counter attack against the press.
  • There you go
    Punished. Clinical from Memphis Depay.
  • Given the way the States have started though... We might have a game on our hands
  • Pulisic has been so poor with his crossing this Tournament

Had a great chance to put the ball across the face of the Goalkeeper, and in No Mans Land too
  • Good game this, will be a few more goals in it
  • Bruce Willis ain't happy with the ref
  • USA giving the ball away so cheaply here. They can't deal with a side that counter press them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Weirdest commentary analogy yet 

horse racing
  • edited December 2022
    Feels like Netherlands will struggle against a better side

But for now, you feel they're going into the Quarter-Finals with that goal
  • That's a gut punch. Not much between these two at all. Netherlands just have players that can put the ball in the net
  • Double Dutch.

•  soapboxsam said:
    Sublime 12 pass move from the Dutch with a great finish at the end. After 10 minutes of defending they found a high gear to counter attack against the press.

21 passes you Doughnut!
  • The Dutch have managed to be pragmatic, yet also scored 2 good passing goals. The sign of a successful side
  • Half time analysis in the US studio. 

Really lazy tracking back from Tyler Adams - should’ve been there to put pressure on the shot for the first goal.

Watching that and thinking to myself that I’ve no doubt he’d have been there to make a tackle if they were playing England. 
  • edited December 2022
    Feels like Netherlands will struggle against a better side

But for now, you feel they're going into the Quarter-Finals with that goal
    They have Daley Blind playing left wing back. That’s going to be their downfall sooner or later.

US need to focus everything down that side. Double up Dest and Weah on him and get balls into the box.

I think Argentina (should they get past the Aussies) beat these lot down the flanks.
  • edited December 2022
    Depay and Gakpo are giving the Dutch a good twin attack with the willing runner Dumfries out wide.
    Timber and down went the defender.