Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Are England and the USA the only unbeaten teams? 
    Netherlands also undefeated
  • Portugal vs Switzerland | Japan vs Croatia | England vs Senegal look the pick of the ties
  • philcafc said:
    Leuth said:
    As are Morocco and Croatia
  • edited December 2022
    How many changes did Brazil make?
    Nine I think? Eder Militao and Fred the only players who started both 2nd and 3rd games.
  • edited December 2022
    Six pot 1 seeds from the original draw:

A: Qatar played 3 lost 3
    B: England played 3 lost 0
    C: Argentina played 3 lost 1
    D; France played 3 lost 1
    E: Belgium played 3 lost 1
    F: Spain played 3 lost 1

Eight pot 1 seeds from the original draw:

A: Qatar played 3 lost 3
    B: England played 3 lost 0
    C: Argentina played 3 lost 1
    D; France played 3 lost 1
    E: Belgium played 3 lost 1
    F: Spain played 3 lost 1
    G: Brazil played 3 lost 1
    H: Portugal played 3 lost 1

Cheating a little bit because Netherlands were the best team in pot 2 and clearly Qatar were a "false" pot 1 side but it's still a nice stat.
  • Full Standings after the Group Stage, of course I wouldnt have done it had England not been top

philcafc said:
    Leuth said:
    As are Morocco and Croatia

And the USA
  • Hands up who had Morocco for the 3rd best record in the group stage?!
  • edited December 2022
    Leuth said:

Dutch haven’t lost, nor Morocco 
  • Sponsored links:

• Top Scorers in the competition so far...

Best Defences so far...

• I'm feeling quietly confident. No major dramas so far, everyone is beatable, yes we'll have to beat a few top sides along the way but why not

In short it's coming home 
  • Either way the group finished, England’s expected route to the final would’ve either been:

Senegal, France, Spain/Portugal
    or
    Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil

Upsets can, and probably will, happen. But right now it doesn’t appear as if there would’ve been any benefit in trying to finish 2nd in the group.

Brazil definitely have the easiest draw and I’d be shocked if they don’t reach the semi-final now.
  • No one wants to face us
  • edited December 2022
    Round of 16 stats:

27/32 (84%) group winners from the last four WCs (2006, 2010, 2014, 2018) have progressed to the quarter finals. The five exceptions were Russia & England (2018), Ghana (2010), Ukraine & France (2006).

15/40 (37.5%) L16 matches from the last five WCs have ended in a draw after 90 minutes.

14/40 (35%) L16 matches since 2002 have seen a goal in the 85th minute or later.
  • The “easy” draws of the last two tournaments distraction doesn’t apply now. Perhaps that will be a good thing for England and expectation levels will be reasonable. This is a very open tournament without an outstanding side. There are three or four good ones (England included) but there is no clear favourite. Brazil are understandably the bookies’ favourite but they are not outstanding. Game on. 
  • Stadium was 98% Brazil last night, they looked good but clearly took it easy as they were through. Lovely stadium too.

• Forgive me for looking beyond the Senegal game which will be tough but I recall a while back Mbappe saying that Walker was the fastest defender he has faced. If you stop him, you have a decent chance of stopping France so I would be tempted to rest Walker tomorrow or at least give him 20 minutes tops as we have options for Senegal and shouldn't risk him for the France game should they and us overcome our round of 16 opponents which we both should do.
  • edited December 2022
    Question: Are England a better team/squad than 2018 when we needed penalties to beat Colombia in the last 16 match ?

A. Most definitely despite the lack luster form pre WC.

Q. Did Southgate learn from the England Euro winning squad that the team for the last 30 minutes is as important if not more so that the starting 11 ?  Masterclass on using subs by Sarina Wiegman. 

A. Got away with keeping Kane on too long after the heavy challenge but hopefully Southgate is older and wiser after coming close in the last two major tournaments. Getting minutes for most of the outfield squad could reaped dividends in the KO rounds as possible 140 minutes could happen.

Q. Can England control the tempo and take our chances. Kane's form could be the difference as normally he is shagged out in the Summer after never being rotated for Spurs. Great assists by Harry so far. 

Q. 3rd gear excellent win against Iran who had other issues on their mind. Defensive don't lose draw against hardworking USA and another patient victory over a mediocre Wales side.

A. 3rd and 4 gear needed against the African champions and Gareth needs to get both the starting 11 and the potential 5 subs correct.

Q. Can England win and reach the Quarters for the 3rd time in a row in a major Tournament ?

A. Yes.

• The big question for me is how we would react to taking the lead against a good team. We have to keep looking for another, then another IMO. Failing to do so cost us getting to the last final and the Euros. I don't know the answer to that question but it will be answered soon enough. 

The thing is, being a front foot team suits England and its defence. If it maintains that approach, yes we can win this thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forgive me for looking beyond the Senegal game which will be tough but I recall a while back Mbappe saying that Walker was the fastest defender he has faced. If you stop him, you have a decent chance of stopping France so I would be tempted to rest Walker tomorrow or at least give him 20 minutes tops as we have options for Senegal and shouldn't risk him for the France game should they and us overcome our round of 16 opponents which we both should do.
    It's very dangerous to rest your best players in a knockout game. For me we need to field our best XI, get the game won and then bring players off early if we can, like we did v Wales.

It will also be 5 days since the Wales game and we then have 6 days until the quarter final so i don't think anyone really needs a rest.
    It's very dangerous to rest your best players in a knockout game. For me we need to field our best XI, get the game won and then bring players off early if we can, like we did v Wales.

It will also be 5 days since the Wales game and we then have 6 days until the quarter final so i don't think anyone really needs a rest.
    I would agree to a point. Without great pace against you the other options are more than decent. Walker is essential for Mbappe but not Senegal.
  • edited December 2022
    Don't like getting ahead of myself but if Walker plays then surely the French could play Mbappe on the right where Shaw wouldn't be able to cope with his pace and it would negate Shaw getting forward. Mbappe can tear down both flanks and central if needed and not sure if Walker could live with him if the French super star gets off his blocks first BUT as was proven in the Champions League final when Walker went off injured City were done for pace by Vinicus and the other young pacey players.

The last 16 game first but as it was mentioned. 
  • Don't like getting ahead of myself but if Walker plays then surely the French could play Mbappe on the right where Shaw wouldn't be able to cope with his pace and it would negate Shaw getting forward. Mbappe can tear down both flanks and central if needed and not sure if Walker could live with him if the French super star gets off his blocks first ?

The last 16 game first but as it was mentioned. 
    I fully expect Walker to play as the third center back against France.  If we go with a back 3 against Senegal first or not is the question.  I think.

He likes Trippier in the side for his set pieces.  One thing I really like about Southgate's approach to team selection is how he looks at what attributes he wants in the team, not necessarily who the best players are.  Set pieces will play apart now and both Stones and Maguire have been unlucky not to score yet and could have had a penalty or two as well.
  • 7 points looking a good return now! With all these crazy results though just means we can't afford to look past this Sunday.
  • Yeah knock all the talk of resting players on the head. If this World Cup has taught us anything is that you respect your opposition and want your best players playing to their best ability every game. One game as it comes.
  • Play your best team against Senegal. If that gives you a chance to rest a few players later in the game then that is a bonus. No point having a fresh player sat  watching France v Senegal on tv 
  • Yeah knock all the talk of resting players on the head. If this World Cup has taught us anything is that you respect your opposition and want your best players playing to their best ability every game. One game as it comes.
    I wasn't thinking of resting Walker but more that he has come back from injury so it is more about preserving him.
  • Gabriel Jesus is out of the World Cup... Expected to return for Arsenal in January

Knee injury by the sounds of things
  • Gabriel Jesus is out of the World Cup... Expected to return for Arsenal in January

Knee injury by the sounds of things
    Ignoring the obvious Jesus and Christmas jokes, that's a big blow for him.