Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fleetwood Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 17th September @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Two poor teams in a poor league.  £34.  Meh.
    Fleetwood charge £34? Are you sure that is not for a box on the halfway line.
  • Charlton away
    Northeast of England
    Confidence low

3-0

Garnerball turns to Wobbleball
  • One small thing I noticed on Tuesday:
    CBT was tightly marked and there were a few occasions when Chin had the ball, clocked the situation, and looked elsewhere for an outlet.
    But what *can* work is when the fullback carries the ball towards our their fullback, who then has to make a decision: back off, and stay on top of our winger, or try to make a tackle. 
    In each scenario at least we’re moving up the pitch, and in the second scenario CBT might be on for the through ball. If a CB comes across to cover that might well leave Leaburn or Stockley a little more space. 
    I just thought we looked very predictable on Tuesday, and our patterns of play repetitive, so any variation might be useful. 
  • We are seeing exactly what Swindon supporters were saying, some good moments but not enough goals, given then that this is just a continuation of that it won’t end anytime soon, if we concede more than 1 we’ll lose.
  • Has there been any official update on Chuks?
    Or do we assume he is one of the legendary unnamed?
    We need somebody who can make a difference and knows where the goal is.
  • Jack Payne, pending he has no tightness from Tuesday has to start, he’s tenacious and got some great footwork.  Can him and Fraser play together?  I can’t see why not when we’re retaining the ball well this season.  

I’m not ready for Kirk either, so ineffective, rather have Leaburn out wide or DJ starting.

I think we’ll win. 1-2, Fraser (followed by cradle celebration) and Leaburn.

Payne and Fraser together might leave us too open in midfield?
    Perhaps, but scoring is the issue, we’ve got to gamble a bit.
    Defending is also a problem though. Just one clean sheet all season
    We were destined not to get clean sheets once that darned song was released. 
  • The only positive from losing is we don’t hear it!
  • Charlton away
    Northeast of England
    Confidence low

3-0

I don’t think it will be that bad, but I do think this will be the start of the unravelling and highlight the weaknesses of a transfer policy that relied on free transfers from a league below us

Stockley will be back in, as will Fraser.  Fleetwood aren’t good, but I think Brown will have them fired up if he’s done his homework he’ll know we’re not playing well.  If they bring it physically, they should get a result.

I am expecting a turn in the next few games, not for the better.  Think we’ll be in ‘Sangaard sort it out territory’ come Oxford in 2 weeks as we slip to defeat tomorrow, defeat at Barnsley and dare I say it, defeat at home to Oxford 
  • Sponsored links:

• our trajectory is starting to follow last seasons at this point in the season, we are only 5pts better off after 8 games than last season. 
    like then you can see the confidence has drained from the team, so will go Fleetwood 1 Charlton 0.
  • Redrobo said:
    Two poor teams in a poor league.  £34.  Meh.
    Fleetwood charge £34? Are you sure that is not for a box on the halfway line.
    D'oh!
  • edited September 2022
    cabbles said:
    Charlton away
    Northeast of England
    Confidence low

3-0

I don’t think it will be that bad, but I do think this will be the start of the unravelling and highlight the weaknesses of a transfer policy that relied on free transfers from a league below us

Stockley will be back in, as will Fraser.  Fleetwood aren’t good, but I think Brown will have them fired up if he’s done his homework he’ll know we’re not playing well.  If they bring it physically, they should get a result.

I am expecting a turn in the next few games, not for the better.  Think we’ll be in ‘Sangaard sort it out territory’ come Oxford in 2 weeks as we slip to defeat tomorrow, defeat at Barnsley and dare I say it, defeat at home to Oxford 
    Compared to Forest Green Rovers they look like Real Madrid, 12th and one defeat all season.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Hope we start Payne. Very similar to Fraser, but worth trying together?
    I think we should have a look at it. They are not that similar IMO. As long as they don't stand on each other's toes which I doubt they would.
  • I am expecting one or two back from injury and it is time to ‘have a go’ after another frustrating result last time out. First away win of the season 2-1 to the Addicks (JR-S and Stockley).

Can see Kirk left out again, Chin retaining his place if Sessegnon not yet fit. 
  • This looks like it has "draw" written all over it, and I think I would take an away draw at the moment, even though a win is what is really needed.

I would go with Clayden and Kirk on the left for this one. They seem to have started to develop an understanding. I think CBT off the bench is more of a threat.

In midfield there has surely got to be no place for McGrandles? Hopefully Fraser will be back, and Payne surely deserves another start after Tuesday.

I would be very surprised if Leaburn starts ahead of Stockley.

A&Eke on the bench? I think I just saw a pig fly past! It would be a very pleasant surprise if he was on the bench though. We urgently need his goal scoring threat.
  • I can't belive CBT who looks like a more than decent footballer can't do better with his shots. Surely a bit of work on his technique should reap rewards. Is this happening? Maybe we will see some signs of this soon. Hopefully tomorrow. I think we have to do two things to have a half decent season. Firstly Rak Sakyi and CBT are key and are clearly our main goal threat. We need to get around the 20 goal mark each from them. Secondly, we need goals in the midfield. Dobson has to play so the other places as it stands need to be between JFC, Fraser and Payne.  All have shown they have goals in them or in the case of Payne might have. I think we want about 25 goals from midfield.
    Shouldn't CBT be playing on the right? He can't seem to wrap his left foot round the ball often missing the near post by a mile. Rak-Sakyi should be good enough to switch sides. 
  • I can't belive CBT who looks like a more than decent footballer can't do better with his shots. Surely a bit of work on his technique should reap rewards. Is this happening? Maybe we will see some signs of this soon. Hopefully tomorrow. I think we have to do two things to have a half decent season. Firstly Rak Sakyi and CBT are key and are clearly our main goal threat. We need to get around the 20 goal mark each from them. Secondly, we need goals in the midfield. Dobson has to play so the other places as it stands need to be between JFC, Fraser and Payne.  All have shown they have goals in them or in the case of Payne might have. I think we want about 25 goals from midfield.
    they do about 15 minutes of shooting practice before each home game if thats any help?  
  • Can't see anything but a defeat - we will start brightly, miss a lot of half chances then it will go a bit end to end then we will let one in with about 15 to go. Game over.
  • edited September 2022
    Talal said:
    I can't belive CBT who looks like a more than decent footballer can't do better with his shots. Surely a bit of work on his technique should reap rewards. Is this happening? Maybe we will see some signs of this soon. Hopefully tomorrow. I think we have to do two things to have a half decent season. Firstly Rak Sakyi and CBT are key and are clearly our main goal threat. We need to get around the 20 goal mark each from them. Secondly, we need goals in the midfield. Dobson has to play so the other places as it stands need to be between JFC, Fraser and Payne.  All have shown they have goals in them or in the case of Payne might have. I think we want about 25 goals from midfield.
    Shouldn't CBT be playing on the right? He can't seem to wrap his left foot round the ball often missing the near post by a mile. Rak-Sakyi should be good enough to switch sides. 
    I think the fact that defenders stand off him and he gets in position to strike cutting in from the left so often is why he should play there. The issue is what you have said about his shooting but my point is he is a professional footballer so surely this is not a skill beyond improvement. I'd have him on it for a few hours a week in training. Just him and a keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Has to be a draw. 1-1.

• Hope for a win expect a draw there will be a melt down if we lose. We only have ourselves (the fans) to blame. I read it on twitter so must be true
  • edited September 2022
    Only one team has drawn more games than us this season: Fleetwood.

Another 1-1 nailed on, which will make it four one-all draws in five matches.

Stockley likes scoring there so I’ll say Stockley for us. His first headed goal of the season.

I could see Payne starting as one of the front three if CBT is unable to start after looking knackered towards the end of midweek. I’d personally like to see Kirk back in the team but it’s understandable if Payne keeps the shirt.

Bringing in Payne would also give us the flexibility to go to a diamond 4-4-2 if 4-3-3 is proving ineffective against their 4-2-3-1.
  • 0-1, more in hope than expectation.
  • Garner Sat 17:00

Fleetwood hard place to go…….
    Not many teams will come to Fleetwood and get a result……
    Fleetwood are surprising everybody……

I am very pleased with our hard fought point……
  • NabySarr said:
    Jack Payne, pending he has no tightness from Tuesday has to start, he’s tenacious and got some great footwork.  Can him and Fraser play together?  I can’t see why not when we’re retaining the ball well this season.  

I’m not ready for Kirk either, so ineffective, rather have Leaburn out wide or DJ starting.

I think we’ll win. 1-2, Fraser (followed by cradle celebration) and Leaburn.

Kirk has got to come back in for me. After Tuesday night where we put in poor cross after poor cross we need our only wide player who has actually shown he can put a decent delivery in back in the side. Before Bolton away he’d had a promising start to the season so hopefully being left out gives him a kick up the backside to get back to those levels 
    Naby……how many more kicks up the arse are we going to give Kirk, I’ve lost count mate?
  • Chin was promising but was a bit fortunate we were at home to FGR. 
    I think it was planned and not based on fortune to blood him in that game. Good move, too.
  • edited September 2022
    I know it was almost last chance saloon and desperation where he put two up top but I personally would like us to go 4-4-2 Saturday. as much as some nice football at times results aren’t really there. 
                   Wollacott 
    clare  lavelle O’Connell. Clayden
    Rak sakyi. Dobbo Fraser. Kirk 
               Stockley.  Leaburn 

harness Thomas chin Morgan cbt Payne DJ

• edited September 2022
    Sage said:
    What’s Kirk done to deserve coming back into the side? Wouldn’t bring him in personally. CBT has to start. Him and JRS are our only real attacking threats. We need goals, Kirk won’t bring us that, CBT does.
    If he's been out of the team, what could he possibly do to deserve coming back in? Think he's harsh to say JRS and CBT are our only attacking threats when Kirk sits top of our G+A rankings alongside Fraser and JRS (ahead of CBT).

Agree that CBT should start if he's able to, he gets fans off their seats. I hinted that he may not be fit enough, in which case I'd like to see Kirk but can understand if Payne got the nod instead. I don't see a world in which Fraser isn't back in the starting XI.