Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jesurun Rak-Sakyi - 2023-4 season progress.

Comments

• Options
    Been saying it for a while. Palace are exactly the sort of club that Charlton need to build a relationship with. They are established Premier League. Have a very good record of bringing through youth and are local. It’s good that TS has a relationship with Steve Parrish. Hurts to say it but they are light years ahead of us and we need to be realistic and get their youngsters in when it’s a help to us. I think in the last couple of seasons we’ve not used the loan system particularly well and several of the London clubs we’ve taken players from are probably thinking twice about loaning us more. Let’s not alienate Palace too. 

Galling but true.
    I refuse to except any of that statement even if it parts may be true. 
    I prefer to think they and us are potentially one season apart. I wouldn't want us to build a relationship with any club, it never works out well for the feeder which would most likely be us. Absolute bollocks to any ties to that club, I remember well the last time we thought it was a good idea to get involved with them. It took years to unwind that and here we are again.  
    Ral-Sakyi may well have potential but we are all born with potential, I seriously doubt he is any different to any of the countless youngsters who have been hoovered up by premiership clubs and then loaned out down the league pyramid. The only reason he is here is for Palaces long term potential benefit. 
    And we get nothing  from it ?
    We get what? Nothing is guaranteed in football, especially ability and form. 
  • Options
    Been saying it for a while. Palace are exactly the sort of club that Charlton need to build a relationship with. They are established Premier League. Have a very good record of bringing through youth and are local. It’s good that TS has a relationship with Steve Parrish. Hurts to say it but they are light years ahead of us and we need to be realistic and get their youngsters in when it’s a help to us. I think in the last couple of seasons we’ve not used the loan system particularly well and several of the London clubs we’ve taken players from are probably thinking twice about loaning us more. Let’s not alienate Palace too. 

Galling but true.
    I prefer to think they and us are potentially one season apart. I wouldn't want us to build a relationship with any club, it never works out well for the feeder which would most likely be us. Absolute bollocks to any ties to that club, I remember well the last time we thought it was a good idea to get involved with them. It took years to unwind that and here we are again.  
    Ral-Sakyi may well have potential but we are all born with potential, I seriously doubt he is any different to any of the countless youngsters who have been hoovered up by premiership clubs and then loaned out down the league pyramid. The only reason he is here is for Palaces long term potential benefit. 
    Building a relationship doesn’t and isn’t in Sakai’s case a formal one. Charlton have a need for an attacking wide player that isn’t currently satisfied by their own youth development programme and can’t afford to purchase one. Palace have a young player who currently isn’t ready for their first team squad but need to play more than PL 2 games. It’s a no brainer. Do you moan about Charlton loaning out their younger players to other teams to aid their development ? It’s a simple concept that I don’t think you’ve fully grasped.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    I think the concerns of “getting lumps kicked out of him” are a little unfounded.

Sure men’s football is different but so many teams in L1 and L2 are made up of youngsters/loanees and more and more teams focussed on playing football.

Other than a few teams, it’s not a league of cloggers.
    Agreed, one of the things that sealed Jacko's fate with Thomas I suspect was the fact that we didn't struggle last season because we were being bullied by dirty lower division journeymen, instead we were regularly being outfootballed by them. 

I have been impressed with both the quality of the football teams are trying to play, but also the pitches. Mud baths and barren pitches are very much the exception, even in non league football.
  • Options
    It is a promising loan, they all are.
    I only hope it is understood by all involved that he only plays on merit, not according to some clause or other.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    I think the concerns of “getting lumps kicked out of him” are a little unfounded.

Sure men’s football is different but so many teams in L1 and L2 are made up of youngsters/loanees and more and more teams focussed on playing football.

Agreed, one of the things that sealed Jacko's fate with Thomas I suspect was the fact that we didn't struggle last season because we were being bullied by dirty lower division journeymen, instead we were regularly being outfootballed by them. 

I have been impressed with both the quality of the football teams are trying to play, but also the pitches. Mud baths and barren pitches are very much the exception, even in non league football.
    Just rest him for the home game against Accrington!
  • Options
    WSS said:

agreed and there is no more physical league in the world than the premier league so if anybody thinks League 1 will be a bigger physical test, their wrong 
  • Options

Galling but true.
    Who’s talking about feeder club ? It’s about having a good working relationship with a club that might be able to offer us loans. That’s a mutual benefit. Technically we are one season apart but in reality Palace are way way ahead of us. 
    A working relationship with premiership clubs loaning out young players is in all but name a feeder system even if we choose to call it a loan system. We may well get some benefit from a player we will never own or profit from but its highly doubtful. A mutual benefit, I cant see it as being that equal. Are we expected to give him game time, at the expense of some of our players? Who's paying the wages and picking up the tab for training and medical facilities? I'm not a fan of loans full stop and the way the system has evolved over the years. Let the prem teams pay, train and bring through their players a their clubs. If they cant or won't, tough, the players will have to move on.  

we wouldn't be doing it if we didn't see a benefit to us - its just the way it is 
  • Options

Galling but true.
    Building a relationship doesn’t and isn’t in Sakai’s case a formal one. Charlton have a need for an attacking wide player that isn’t currently satisfied by their own youth development programme and can’t afford to purchase one. Palace have a young player who currently isn’t ready for their first team squad but need to play more than PL 2 games. It’s a no brainer. Do you moan about Charlton loaning out their younger players to other teams to aid their development ? It’s a simple concept that I don’t think you’ve fully grasped.
    It is a simple concept and one that I dont like. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    This has to be the signal for a smart exit for Charley Shirk, innit?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    I think the formation and options in that formation are pretty much settled now. Stockley and whoever is left and right of him need to provide assist and goals, look at England with this formation with Mount, Kane and Sterling  and the criticism there is the lack of goals. In terms of further additions, if JFC and Gilbey move on then I'd like to see another midfielder, what worries me is if we get an injury to either Stockley or Innis, the latter being more than likely. 
    Yeah but England play with 2 holding central midfielders. 
    i can see dobbo and mgrandles playing as 2 holding midfielders - would make sense if ourt fuill backs are going to be rampaging - allows fraser or payne (or morgan if he maintains form) to sit in the hole 
    Any manager wants options, it looks like that's been afforded to Garner now, where it wasn't for Adkins and Jackson, can't knock learning from previous mistakes and correcting them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    clive said:
    This has to be the signal for a smart exit for Charley Shirk, innit?
    They play on opposite wings. 
  • Options
    2 homes games next week. Hopefully we'll  get to see him in action. I don't expect him to start just yet but when he does will he be on the left or right ?  CBT is more natural on the left so I would like to think JRS replaces DJ on the right.

It seems that we might now have too many attacking midfielders.
    Not once the inevitable mid-season injury crisis kicks in. :neutral:

• Options
    Interesting that Garner tried to loan him last summer and in January.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/garner-we-go-there-full-confidence
  • Options
    WSS said:

He also played and scored in 'mens' football for Palace U21s at Wimbledon in the pizza cup last year.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What is Mark Bright doing these days?

Seeing that Steve Gallen mentions that he came to the training ground with Rak-Sakyi

Nice to hear that even Dougie Freedman was telling Gallen about him
    Bright is a full-time Palace ambassador.  He does a lot of the "nice stuff" with the players.  Sort of 25% Chris Powell 50% Tracy and 25% still a stripy c%£t 😜 

Top man is Brighty although I think he is the only Charlton player I have ever booed on his debut 🤣🤣😅🤣

TBF he told me he didn't blame me 

He is a Charlton legend as well.

He didn't just play in the Playoff Final but laid on the first goal for Mendonca. When I saw back the whole game in lockdown I had forgotten how good he had been for us and reading his autobiography it is clear he loves Charlton although clearly he likes Palace more.

Let's celebrate that he played a role in JRS coming here.
    He's also the reason it goes to Extra-Time... Took me a few years of watching it back, but the way Brighty moves into Perez's path, stops him from getting to the corner, and so giving Rufus an empty net to head into
    Bright may have played a part but it was the god of football that told Perez to strand himself in no-man’s land. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    If he’s as good as Palace think this is a great signing. They’ve got him signed up on a 5 year deal.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announcement/jesurun-rak-sakyi-secures-five-year-crystal-palace-contract-and-charlton-athletic-loan/2022-08-11/
    Aaaaaarghh. 

People may not notice that this link is cpfc not cafc. Links like this should carry a warning. Who knows what damage might be done to our phones, PCs and tablets.
    Not to mention our mental health
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but we have already come across our new signing.

In last year's pre-season game against Palace he scored a goal (courtesy of MacGillivray) against us.

Check about 50 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRpAX2Fg3Q0

Looking forward to him chasing back passes from the opposition already!
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but we have already come across our new signing.

In last year's pre-season game against Palace he scored a goal (courtesy of MacGillivray) against us.

Check about 50 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRpAX2Fg3Q0

Looking forward to him chasing back passes from the opposition already!
    So of the 4 people involved in that goal, Famewo has left, Pearce has retired, McGillivray is out of favour leaving only JRS likely to play much for us this season!
  • Options
    Someone with power seeking to further improve the value of his assets and gain more power is the world we live in. Crystal Palace are employing that MO in loaning out JRS just as we are employing that MO in loaning out ours.  

I think what grates is that we are seemingly empowering CP and some are not seeing that we also benefit. The rich get richer ~ yes,  but the poorer also get a bit richer too (promotion) 

Did we not ourselves (as Premiership club), loan out the very average Scott Parker to a lower League club and he came back A LOT better? 
  • Options

Galling but true.
    Who’s talking about feeder club ? It’s about having a good working relationship with a club that might be able to offer us loans. That’s a mutual benefit. Technically we are one season apart but in reality Palace are way way ahead of us. 
    A working relationship with premiership clubs loaning out young players is in all but name a feeder system even if we choose to call it a loan system. We may well get some benefit from a player we will never own or profit from but its highly doubtful. A mutual benefit, I cant see it as being that equal. Are we expected to give him game time, at the expense of some of our players? Who's paying the wages and picking up the tab for training and medical facilities? I'm not a fan of loans full stop and the way the system has evolved over the years. Let the prem teams pay, train and bring through their players a their clubs. If they cant or won't, tough, the players will have to move on.  

Whilst I understand your concerns, when it works well it can have significant benefits, eg Cullen and Bielik in our promotion season. We  will see how many loanees we have by the end of the window but only 2 so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m hoping for two permanent deals and two loans.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Finally. Looking forward to seeing him play and hopefully he’ll add goals to our squad.

Notice how the OS only calls him a forward.

Scoham said:
    Finally. Looking forward to seeing him play and hopefully he’ll add goals to our squad.

Notice how the OS only calls him a forward.
    That's for absolute sure...please heaven.
  • Options
    How many outgoing ?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    How many outgoing ?
    Two
  • Options
    I think we’ll sign 4 but 1 perm and 3 loans, although I’d obviously prefer what you say. Really hoping we’re after Ryan Edwards still. Simpson or McKirdy would be welcome additions as well.

Can see 2/3 leaving to not return (JFC and Craig McG) and 2/3 youth like Henry going on loan.
  • Options
    What makes you both think/hope we’ll get as many as 4 when Gallen and Garner are saying 1 or 2?

I expect 1 or 2 to go without being replaced, even indirectly in another position.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    What makes you both think/hope we’ll get as many as 4 when Gallen and Garner are saying 1 or 2?

I expect 1 or 2 to go without being replaced, even indirectly in another position.
    I could see 3/4 if JFC , Gilbey and MacG all leave. We would need another midfield option and certainly another keeper , either a veteran or a Prem loan of a youngster.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Scoham said:

I could see 3/4 if JFC , Gilbey and MacG all leave. We would need another midfield option and certainly another keeper , either a veteran or a Prem loan of a youngster.
    This is how I see it but also I think we’ve learnt to under promise and over deliver
  • Options
    I think atleast another 2 in. I cant see TS not buying a striker when it gets close to the deadline and some clubs are in a selling mood. I also think atleast 2 out if not 3. JFC, Gilbey and maybe a championship club could come in with a decent offer for Dobson or CBT I know they are great for us but at the end of the day if the £ is right I think we would sell
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think atleast another 2 in. I cant see TS not buying a striker when it gets close to the deadline and some clubs are in a selling mood. I also think atleast 2 out if not 3. JFC, Gilbey and maybe a championship club could come in with a decent offer for Dobson or CBT I know they are great for us but at the end of the day if the £ is right I think we would sell
    Be insane to sell Dobson or CBT - our 2 best players.