Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Elerewe - Signed permanently for Bromley (p4)

Comments

• Options
    I was at the Woking match today and despite his goal I wasn’t too impressed with him. Really casual the whole match. He could have really imposed himself against a fairly poor Woking attack but he just seemed content to stroll around. Didn’t give me the vibe of a player desperate to impress. He’s massive though, didn’t have too much trouble from Woking’s tiny frontline 
    Maybe Hector is his idol which will be absolutely fine as long as he doesn't have off moments/days
  • Options
    I was at the Woking match today and despite his goal I wasn’t too impressed with him. Really casual the whole match. He could have really imposed himself against a fairly poor Woking attack but he just seemed content to stroll around. Didn’t give me the vibe of a player desperate to impress. He’s massive though, didn’t have too much trouble from Woking’s tiny frontline 

If he got little trouble from a tiny Woking frontline and Bromley kept a clean sheet what else was he meant to do to impress? Not a dig and I wasn't there.  But if a CB is playing limited opposition isn't it just a game it is hard to impress in?

https://frombromleywithlove.substack.com/p/woking-0-1-bromley?r=6x19i&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

This guy calls him heroic in defence and gives 8/10.
    ‘Heroic’. Fucking hell. I was there and I was watching him very closely. He didn’t do badly by any stretch but considering how much bigger and stronger he was than the Woking players he could have imposed himself more. Woking had most of the play and if they’d been a bit less thick with their final ball it would have been a much worse day for Bromley. They scored off a corner resulting from one of the two decent counter attacks they launched. Woking had more of the ball and had 15 corners. On those Deji spent far too much time worrying about holding his man rather than winning the ball in the air which was weird considering he should have been dominating. A lot of Woking’s play started with their right back and died with their right midfielder who was pretty poor but I felt Deji was easier to get at than the CB on the other side and showed too much respect to their players. He wasn’t poor at a but he could have been more aggressive. That’s what surprised me, considering the level he’s at and the fact I thought he’d be looking to impress I was surprised at how lax his approach was. Not bad, but I was hoping for more 
  • Options

If he got little trouble from a tiny Woking frontline and Bromley kept a clean sheet what else was he meant to do to impress? Not a dig and I wasn't there.  But if a CB is playing limited opposition isn't it just a game it is hard to impress in?

https://frombromleywithlove.substack.com/p/woking-0-1-bromley?r=6x19i&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

‘Heroic’. Fucking hell. I was there and I was watching him very closely. He didn’t do badly by any stretch but considering how much bigger and stronger he was than the Woking players he could have imposed himself more. Woking had most of the play and if they’d been a bit less thick with their final ball it would have been a much worse day for Bromley. They scored off a corner resulting from one of the two decent counter attacks they launched. Woking had more of the ball and had 15 corners. On those Deji spent far too much time worrying about holding his man rather than winning the ball in the air which was weird considering he should have been dominating. A lot of Woking’s play started with their right back and died with their right midfielder who was pretty poor but I felt Deji was easier to get at than the CB on the other side and showed too much respect to their players. He wasn’t poor at a but he could have been more aggressive. That’s what surprised me, considering the level he’s at and the fact I thought he’d be looking to impress I was surprised at how lax his approach was. Not bad, but I was hoping for more 
    Seems like the majority disagree with you.

Can't comment either way as I wasn't there but maybe you're trying to hold him to too high a standard?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Seems like the majority disagree with you.

Can't comment either way as I wasn't there but maybe you're trying to hold him to too high a standard?
    Depends on the majority really. Seems most people commenting didn’t even see him play which is quite weird. The standard I’m holding him to is just the standard of a player looking to make it in a L1 team. I’m sure National League Bromley are chuffed with him but what I’m saying is that I didn’t see a lot about him to indicate he was anywhere near the level he’d need to be to do anything for us in the near future, which considering how well thought of he was a couple of years ago is disappointing. It’s just one game that I watched though, I honestly wasn’t expecting the level of tantrum it’s produced from others 
  • Options

Thanks for your detailed answer.  I hope he makes it but from what I have seen so far he certainly needs to improve in those areas you mention.
  • Options
    A couple of years ago he was barely 18.
    He has certainly physically altered since then, maybe he is yet to stop growing.
    He has actually made some progress since we first became more conscious of him, maybe not the progress some would like, but I repeat he is a young player.
    Maybe he isn’t going to make it at first team level with us, but I think it is still too early to judge with Deji.
  • Options
    Bromley are playing Blackpool in the Cup at the Ben Hayes Stadium so it will be interesting to see how Deji gets on against League 1 strikers.
  • Options
    Bromley are playing Blackpool in the Cup at the Ben Hayes Stadium so it will be interesting to see how Deji gets on against League 1 strikers.
    Live on Saturday, 5.45 on BBC2.
  • Options
    If he's allowed to play... He wasnt involved in their 4th Round Qualifier

But then again he had only just joined them, so they may not have wanted to risk it
  • Options
    I hope that Deji can play against Blackpool, as it will be an interesting test for him. Lucas Ness’ experience of playing for Torquay against Derby last season certainly benefited him and us, given his form earlier this year.

I’ve only seen Deji once this season at Crawley, where he (along with his fellow defenders) was shaky. A big season for him, although central defence is probably the most difficult position for youngsters who are still learning the game. A statement of the obvious but players like Gomez, Konsa, Rufus and (going some way further back) Peter Reeves and Paul Went are very much the exception, rather than the rule. 

Players like Matt Elliot and Michael Turner had to work their way up through the leagues after leaving us and look at how long it took Bolton’s defensive lynchpin, Ricardo Santos, to come to prominence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would be a shame for the club if Deji,Ness and Michell are no further to a first team spot after their experience.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Blucher said:
    I hope that Deji can play against Blackpool, as it will be an interesting test for him. Lucas Ness’ experience of playing for Torquay against Derby last season certainly benefited him and us, given his form earlier this year.

I’ve only seen Deji once this season at Crawley, where he (along with his fellow defenders) was shaky. A big season for him, although central defence is probably the most difficult position for youngsters who are still learning the game. A statement of the obvious but players like Gomez, Konsa, Rufus and (going some way further back) Peter Reeves and Paul Went are very much the exception, rather than the rule. 

Players like Matt Elliot and Michael Turner had to work their way up through the leagues after leaving us and look at how long it took Bolton’s defensive lynchpin, Ricardo Santos, to come to prominence. 
    Charlton have asked not to have him cup tied, same reason he didn't play against Wealdstone in the 4th qualifying round
    We actually think we might still be in the cup after tomorrow !!    
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Blucher said:

Charlton have asked not to have him cup tied, same reason he didn't play against Wealdstone in the 4th qualifying round
    Thats a shame, would have been good to have seen him up against League One opposition tonight.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Blucher said:

Seems short sighted to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    LouisMend said:
    Blucher said:

Yeah even if we get to the Third Round, we have: Hector | Jones | Ness | Abankwah | Thomas ahead of him @ Centre-Back.

Mitchell is on the bench today for Colchester, so he'll be Cup-Tied if he appears today... With Zak playing at a higher level, you'd expect him to be recalled first in January if needbe
  • Options
    deji in starting line up for Bromley ton
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Blucher said:

Mind games from Woodman, he starts
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    LouisMend said:
    Blucher said:

Mind games from Woodman, he starts
    Notice James Vennings on the bench

Is he getting much game time @ Bromley?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    LouisMend said:
    Blucher said:

Yeah even if we get to the Third Round, we have: Hector | Jones | Ness | Abankwah | Thomas ahead of him @ Centre-Back.

Mitchell is on the bench today for Colchester, so he'll be Cup-Tied if he appears today... With Zak playing at a higher level, you'd expect him to be recalled first in January if needbe
    Mitchell was a season loan though, so certainly the plan was for him to be away all season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mitchell scored again yesterday.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Deji loves to get Forward and not just for free Kicks. Seems to play too much on the left for Bromley but at least he is given licence to get forward. Had opportunities to score in his 3rd match in a row against Blackpool.
    His coaches from his school days always thought he would be a ball playing CB but at the moment more like a young Ming's in his early days at Ipswich when he was out wide more than a out and out CB.

Still hopeful Deji can continue to improve.  
  • Options
    Sounded like he had a good game for most of yesterday too
  • Options
    He wasn’t getting game time. It’s unfortunate but hopefully adds a bit to the budget for summer. First refusal makes this a glorified line if he’s pushes on

• Options
    Didn’t expect that, but not surprising when thinking about the number of young CBs we have. As well as Ness we have Mitchell getting regular game time in L2 and Laqeretabua in the u21s. Potentially Bakrin and Toure if we offer them new deals too.