Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carabao Cup Draw 22/23 - QF Draw: Man Utd v CAFC (p48) - confirmed 10th Jan

Comments

• Sorry, think some of our fans are delusional… How can anyone truly believe  7,000 are going to rock up at old Trafford on a Tuesday,Weds,Thur in early January. We get a 0-0 draw at home and win a poor pen shot out, and a season of complete bollocks is forgotten about. 

Ok, is great, been a while since we had a cup run that culminates in a decent big game. But, let’s be honest it will go no further, we will lose 3 or 4 nil, and most likely limp out like we have in so many league games. The older generation have seen us at Old Trafford on a number of occasions, so not a massive first for many of us. 

I think we would be do really bloody well to sell 3,500 half the allocation. So can see no problem anybody getting a ticket. I will be one of those, but only because it’s a chance to meet up with friends in the Manchester area, who I haven’t seen in a while.
    Bah humbug…!!!
  • edited December 2022
    Curb_It said:
    I was just going to say that kaf.  The young adults are going to be well up for it.... those that are allowed out of school.  

Lot of kids will be having some cold issues me thinks…🤔
  • Off_it said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    se9addick said:
    This is going to be one of those away games where people think they’re entitled to sit in the seat actually printed on their ticket, isn’t it?
    Real kick in the bollocks for punters who been to every away game this season including Stockport 
    What's a kick in the bollox?

This is the sort of thing I dont understand. A plum cup draw in a totally shit season, and people looking for things to be negative about.

The draw was last night. Just enjoy the feeling. The announcements on dates and tickets will come.
    You keep moaning about people being negative but it seems like you are whining more than anyone else. 
    Oh I'm not whining mate, trust me. I'm chilled and enjoying it. If you really wanted to see me whine ..... ;-)
  • I think you will be surprised how many we’ll take @RaplhMilne
    Agree

I've done 1 away in 10 years - that was Wembley - and this game is calling me.

Bit like the Brighton game - I expected a drubbing, wasn't massively looking forward to it. But the fixture called me to attend.

Same for Man U - I expect a drubbing, not even that excited by the fixture or the venue (like many - seen it, been there, done it, etc). But the fixture is calling me to attend. Some kind of pre-programmed Charlton supporter defect that's making me want to go.

That's the best I can explain it.

I reckon 3-5k without support from the club on transport. Another 1-3k on top of that if the club makes it easy to get there. I'm in the latter group.
  • I think you will be surprised how many we’ll take @RaplhMilne
    Agree

Bit like the Brighton game - I expected a drubbing, wasn't massively looking forward to it. But the fixture called me to attend.

Same for Man U - I expect a drubbing, not even that excited by the fixture or the venue (like many - seen it, been there, done it, etc). But the fixture is calling me to attend. Some kind of pre-programmed Charlton supporter defect that's making me want to go.

I reckon 3-5k without support from the club on transport. Another 1-3k on top of that if the club makes it easy to get there. I'm in the latter group.
    Edit to the above - 1 away since Sheff Utd in the Cup in 2014 - that was a call of duty, too!
  • How many CAFC fans are booking hotels? The one I stayed in in summer for about £70 a night going at £180 on Tuesday 10th!

I can't go anyway as I'm just starting a new job thought I'd look out of interest.
  • We took 4000 to Doncaster on a Sunday. We will take at least 5k to OT.
  • edited December 2022
    I think you will be surprised how many we’ll take @RaplhMilne
    Agree

I hint done an away game outside of Norfolk (i.e. Carrow Road and our PSF at Lynn a couple of years ago - EDIT: I went to Wembley in 2019 but I'm not counting that as an away match especially as we were nominally the home team :)) since our first game at St Mary's when we helped Southampton pop their cherry at their new ground (I don't think I've even ventured over the border to Portaloo Road in the intervening years).

For some strange reason this game is starting to feel tempting despite the inevitable let-down you know is coming ...
  • Sidarn! 😜
  • Sponsored links:

• Premier Inn Old Trafford booked for Tuesday and Wednesday night - pay on arrival and can cancel anytime so will do once date of game confirmed. Honestly can’t wait, been wanting a big tie for years and finally got one. We’ll probably get an absolute hiding but will be a night to enjoy whatever happens on the pitch 
  • Great draw. We will take 5k easily. Pleased for the diehards who go all over with Charlton 
  • I’ll be in either Mexico City or sunning myself in Cancun. 😎🌞
  • A lot of people will be taking a few extras to this, I will have 4 when normally I go solo to away matches 
  • I plan to go ....... my two sons plan to go ........ my daughter and her partner plan to go. I expect to get beat and I don't care. Its Charlton at OT in a quarter final

If I had never gone to games I expected to lose I will have missed a hell of a lot over the last 40 years !
  • Curb_It said:
    I was just going to say that kaf.  The young adults are going to be well up for it.... those that are allowed out of school.  

Lot of kids will be having some cold issues me thinks…🤔
    bad parenting if you're not letting your kids bunk off for this imo
  • Absolutely all over this, went to uni in Manchester too so can crash at a mates for the night too. 
  • edited December 2022
    Any peeps in the Twitters-sphere heard anything about this from Tommy Banjo yet?
  • Off_it said:
    Any peeps in the Twitters-sphere heard anything about this from Tommy Banjo yet?

Just the opening riff to Smoke on the Water.
  • barstool said:
    A lot of people will be taking a few extras to this, I will have 4 when normally I go solo to away matches 
    Same, usually go solo most times got 2 more coming who have done 1 away game between them all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Showing up in my Charlton linked Google Calendar as 8PM on Tuesday 10th January.
  • How many CAFC fans are booking hotels? The one I stayed in in summer for about £70 a night going at £180 on Tuesday 10th!

I can't go anyway as I'm just starting a new job thought I'd look out of interest.
    Plenty of £60-80 availability in the city centre. The grim Britannia near Piccadilly Gardens has jacked its prices up, though, but the usual suspects are offering decent deals. 
  • Sorry, think some of our fans are delusional… How can anyone truly believe  7,000 are going to rock up at old Trafford on a Tuesday,Weds,Thur in early January. We get a 0-0 draw at home and win a poor pen shot out, and a season of complete bollocks is forgotten about. 

Ok, is great, been a while since we had a cup run that culminates in a decent big game. But, let’s be honest it will go no further, we will lose 3 or 4 nil, and most likely limp out like we have in so many league games. The older generation have seen us at Old Trafford on a number of occasions, so not a massive first for many of us. 

I think we would be do really bloody well to sell 3,500 half the allocation. So can see no problem anybody getting a ticket. I will be one of those, but only because it’s a chance to meet up with friends in the Manchester area, who I haven’t seen in a while.
    I would be amazed if we don't take more than that. I think the full 7k might be a push but we can definitely get 5-6k.
  • bobmunro said:
    Booked the midland hotel for the Tuesday only £130 stayed there’d before for an insurance conference when it’s been £600 so happy with that 

Very good hotel.
    Where Mr Rolls met Mr Royce as the sign in the lobby says!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Need to figure out how I’ll get there and back from Leeds minus the car that day 😬
    Let me know if you figure it out!!
    Getting there shouldn’t be an issue. Train (if possible) or coach. Getting home is unlikely so could be a hotel. 
    If the trains aren't on strike you can get a train from Manchester to Leeds all through the night because of the airport. 
    Ahh yes of course…looks strikes are on though. Once we know a date I may be able to drive depending on when my wife is working. Somehow we’ll get there!

Where are you based exactly?
    Tong, right on the Leeds/Bradford boundary, you?  
    Ah yes, I know where you are. I’m in Ilkley. 
  • I predict the ambulance strike on the 11th will get called off but that it will be nearer to the date.

At the moment it's an attempted cut throat form of forceful negotiation that the conservative party cannot ignore. They won't have any validated excuse to ignore it. 

If they do allow the strike to go ahead, then they know that its blood on their hands and there is no way they would have any chance of staying put in the next general election.

If a lot of examples such as a loved ones desperately need an ambulance very quickly at a critical time but they can't get one...

There will be riots happening all over the place in reaction to that. It will build up immensely.  

The pain anger and frustration will get passed around very rapidly.

I believe the 11th will get resolved and there eventually won't be anything to worry about 
  • Dave2l said:
    I predict the ambulance strike on the 11th will get called off but that it will be nearer to the date.

At the moment it's an attempted cut throat form of forceful negotiation that the conservative party cannot ignore. They won't have any validated excuse to ignore it. 

If they do allow the strike to go ahead, then they know that its blood on their hands and there is no way they would have any chance of staying put in the next general election.

If a lot of examples such as a loved ones desperately need an ambulance very quickly at a critical time but they can't get one...

There will be riots happening all over the place in reaction to that. It will build up immensely.  

The pain anger and frustration will get passed around very rapidly.

I believe the 11th will get resolved and there eventually won't be anything to worry about 
    Wasn’t there an ambulance strike a couple of days ago?
  • Solidgone said:
    Bet the club will be stupid and wont run a Valley Away service...

Even if they do it'll probably be one or two coaches, especially if there is to be a Rail Strike!!
    Back in 74 the only way to get up to Manchester was make your own way up there.
    Lewis Coaches said no coach travel due to too much trouble up in Manchester.

As I recall 9 of us back of Bedford van went up together . Cost of ticket seats 1 pound 10 pence .

I went by train. 
    We went by train group of us from Eltham must have been about 30/40 of us. We’re in a pen on half way line. Charlton went 1-0 up, then all hell broke out on the terrace. Police with truncheons wading in as well. We were all put up on edge of pitch and March to another section opposite side of ground, across the front of Stratford End, all spitting at us. By time we got there. We’re losing 2-1.
    We had seats under the electric scoreboard in corner of ground .Still have ticket. As you say all went off, even end of match walking down stairs from seats was unsafe.