Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Options
    Meanwhile...

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Haaland going back to Dortmund. Lewandowski back to Bayern.

Poor old Plzen won't be getting much from their group.
    Be lucky to get nul points. What a joke.
    Surely that’s what they want though?

Must be better than getting Frankfurt, Shakhtar and Benfica 
    I believe you get  a fair bit of money every time you earn a point, and I think if you finish 3rd you drop into the Europa League ( although I may be hazy on this). Playing the actual games dont bring that much extra in. Viktoria’s capacity is 11k. Mind you, Bayern is almost a derby, they could take a fair few to the Allianz. If my buddy has a spare ticket I’m gonna go to one of these games, but with that capacity it isnt easy even for him.
  • Options
    Last season it was 2.8million euros for a group stage win and 900k for a draw.
    that’s on top of the 16million for qualifying to the group stage.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    MrOneLung said:

I believe you get  a fair bit of money every time you earn a point, and I think if you finish 3rd you drop into the Europa League ( although I may be hazy on this). Playing the actual games dont bring that much extra in. Viktoria’s capacity is 11k. Mind you, Bayern is almost a derby, they could take a fair few to the Allianz. If my buddy has a spare ticket I’m gonna go to one of these games, but with that capacity it isnt easy even for him.
    Exactly, what's the annual revenue at a club like Plzen? Even 1 group stage win would surely be huge for them.

And yes 3rd does go into the Europa although i think they have to play a 2 legged play off against a Europa league group runner up first.
  • Options
    Chris_from_Sidcup said:
    MrOneLung said:

Exactly, what's the annual revenue at a club like Plzen? Even 1 group stage win would surely be huge for them.

And yes 3rd does go into the Europa although i think they have to play a 2 legged play off against a Europa league group runner up first.
    Oh sure, last season, knocked out of the Europa Conference early, i wouldn't be surprised if the revenue and wages budget were less than Charlton. It definitely was, the season SCPs team got promoted while Viktorka were in the UCL, I got hold of the figures for both. In a sense they are already laughing, the money will probably be used for the long planned stadium expansion - but where's the romance? I was half persuading myself that they'll be playing with nothing to lose, and Barca in their current state especially might not fancy it on a cold Tuesday night in Plzen - and then I remembered they've got Lewandowski, he's Polish and learnt his trade in stadia and towns like that.
  • Options

That's obscene money. The inequalities this must create in a lot of domestic leagues is insane
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

That's obscene money. The inequalities this must create in a lot of domestic leagues is insane
    Yep. To illustrate your point, you can watch a league game at Viktoria for as little as £4.50. The max you will pay, best seats for Slavia or Sparta games, is £17. So would estimate the average gross takings for a league game to be about £92k. 15 games brings them to £1.4m for the season. Sneaking one win in a UCL group stage game apparently brings double that!! So actually, Frankfurt, Benfica and Shakhtar would have suited them fine, because welcoming those teams to the city is a glamorous event (and I've been there to witness it, Napoli and Sporting Lisbon especially were unforgettable nights, in and outside the stadium), and I reckon there'd be 5 points for Viktoria there, and possible further Euro games. So I think it's a all a bit crap. But in the boardroom they'll be rubbing their hands at the £16m, and I guess the team will just say, sod it, let's give it a go.
  • Options
    This uses the figures from a couple of seasons ago but it’s well worth a read as an explanation of where the money goes and how it’s shared between the clubs

Nice, easy to understand breakdown 

https://www.danielgeey.com/post/how-champions-league-clubs-make-their-money/
  • Options
    This uses the figures from a couple of seasons ago but it’s well worth a read as an explanation of where the money goes and how it’s shared between the clubs

Nice, easy to understand breakdown 

https://www.danielgeey.com/post/how-champions-league-clubs-make-their-money/
    It is the UEFA coefficient money that does the damage. 

• Options
    Jac_52 said:

Well we all know that is the case. There's not many new sides in the CL because the same sides qualify most years.

Frankfurt got in by winning the Europa.
    Rangers are in for the first time in ages but have some decent European pedigree in the last couple of years.
    Celtic got an automatic spot because Russian clubs are banned, otherwise their spot would probably be taken by Zenit who were always in it.
    Plzen have qualified before and are always top 2 in the Czech league.
    Maccabi Haifa are the only real new name i can see in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:

Well we all know that is the case. There's not many new sides in the CL because the same sides qualify most years.

Frankfurt got in by winning the Europa.
    Rangers are in for the first time in ages but have some decent European pedigree in the last couple of years.
    Celtic got an automatic spot because Russian clubs are banned, otherwise their spot would probably be taken by Zenit who were always in it.
    Plzen have qualified before and are always top 2 in the Czech league.
    Maccabi Haifa are the only real new name i can see in there.
    Mind you,@Chris_from_Sidcup,Plzen is an example that UEFA might use of “levelling up” as post the revolution Sparta and Slavia totally  dominated untl 2007. The biggest non Prague rival, Banik Ostrava had fallen on hard times and never recovered. Plzen isnt a big city but it has a hinterland and did well with its academy (e.g.  Petr Cech and Pavel Nedved) When they won the title in 2008 it was I think first time ever. The stadium wasnt UEFA compliant by a long way so they played their home UCL games at Slavia’s gaff. But they invested the money well and now it is true  that Viktoria acts as a permanent disruptor to the Sparta- Slavia hegemony. Which really pisses off fans of those two. I get a lot of stick for choosing Viktoria! But its hard to see how any other club will join them. Even Slavia is only in the Conference thing this season and there isnt much money there. 

• Options
    The first goal of this seasons group stages hits the back of the net as Orsic put Dinamo Zagreb 1 up v Chelsea.
  • Options
    Whoops... Dont think that was part of the plan for Chelsea

Lovely finish, didnt think it had the weight or the accuracy on the shot at first.
  • Options
    2 for Mbappe v Juventus, Haaland scores v Sevilla.

If you were bored of 15+ years of Messi or Ronaldo debates, get ready to go through it all over again.
  • Options
    Going to need to introduce a handicapper and start making haaland wear weighted boots, it's not really fair on other teams
  • Options
    Goals scored after their first 20 Champions league games.

Ronaldo 0
    Messi 8
    Haaland 25
  • Options
    Until he burst onto the scene, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Roberto Soldado shared the record for most Champions League goals in their first 20 appearances - 16.

Haaland has managed 25
  • Options
    Boys against men in the Ajax v Rangers game, 3-0 to the hosts in the first 30 mins. 
  • Options
    That’s where VAR works in the Barca game. No pen and red card and a booking for the forward.
  • Options
    Joe Gomez making some poor mistakes and Napoli 2 up in 30 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went wrong for Klopp in the 6th/7th years at Mainz.
    Went wrong for Klopp in his 7th year at Dortmund.
    Now coming into his 8th year at Liverpool....
  • Options
    Gomez and Trent 🤣

England defenders are having a mare this season. Bodes well.
  • Options
    Gomez and Trent 🤣

England defenders are having a mare this season. Bodes well.
    Maguire is going to be fresh at least  :D
  • Options
    Klopp to Chelsea at this rate!
  • Options
    Klopp won't last the season at this rate.  Liverpool look so poor
  • Options
    Liverpool 4 down. 

I love this game. 
  • Options
    Neither Joe Gomez or Trent Alexander-Arnold are first choices for England. 

As Trent gets better going forward his defending is getting worse. Joe has had a nightmare this evening and lucky that he signed that 5 year contract recently. Joe was always so smooth but his ball control is letting him down.
  • Options
    I'd forgotten he'd briefly  played there...

• Options
    “Bonjour”