Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fish and Chips

Comments

• Options
    Like the fact in Scotland a fish supper means 2 fish.
  • Options
    Is Kennedy's considered a good fish and chip shop? But, cor, I love their whitebait.
  • Options

Mid-sixties my mate John and I used the Welcome Fish Bar in Parsons Hill, next door to the Castle pub. The shop is still in business but as a Chinese takeaway, called the Happy House. Hard to give a review after nearly sixty years but the Welcome was ok.

• Options
    https://www.just-eat.co.uk/restaurants-tom-bell-new-orpington-br6/menu?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwJuVBhCAARIsAOPwGAT3Odr3Os734hxxffGrjg_mkNZ45GMuWw4PL_8a50j6fir1JumPv7oaAqKbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My local chippy.

Fried fish is good Jewish food by the way and one of the few foods not rationed during WW2.

Love fish and chips and I go a bit Northern and have mushy peas which should count as one of my five a day so keep RCT happy 😊 

It's not the very cheap option it once was but compared to say Wagamama, which I love, it's still more affordable.

• Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Coverd End.As I do not know how to incert a comment in the place where some one has written one,I have to write it here.Do I still go to the Valley! No. The last
     game was 2015 against Bournmouth.It was getting a little expensive with season ticket,driving up from kent,programme and having something to eat.And being on a pension I had to stop going.Back to Fish and Chips,does remember the chip shop at Sand Street?.Used to go there when I stayed with grandparents at Woolich.
    That rekindled a long lost memory of a Chippie my family used in the very early sixties in Woolwich, called "The hole in the wall". 
  • Options
    Some stunningly excellent fish and chip shops in Whitby if ever you’re in the vicinity 
    Aah - many happy memories of queuing for the Magpie Cafe back in the 80s/90s.  Delicious food - hope it's still as good!
  • Options
    Always a long queue on Fridays at my local chippy when I was a kid in the 60s.  

Mum told me it was the Catholics - something I never checked out until just now.   Seems like she was right.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14929199

• Options
    Collier Row 

Reg cod and chips. 9.60
    med cod and chips 10.95
    large cod and chips 11.95

pensioners can get regular cod and chips for £5.50 before 5:30 

• Options

Mum told me it was the Catholics - something I never checked out until just now.   Seems like she was right.  

Catholic steak on a Friday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derek1952 said:
    1952 was as far as I remember to be my first game at The Valley.Thats why I use it as my name.I would have been 10yrs old.
    Pipped me by 5 years Derek, my first game was 1957.
  • Options
    When I was a kid we used to go to Spray Street Woolwich for fish and chips sometimes. I'm talking about 55 years ago plus so that chip shop may no longer exist!
  • Options
    Some stunningly excellent fish and chip shops in Whitby if ever you’re in the vicinity 
    Aah - many happy memories of queuing for the Magpie Cafe back in the 80s/90s.  Delicious food - hope it's still as good!
    Never ever not a long queue to get into The Magpie. Best fish and chips I’ve had ever. The fish is walked across the road from the market straight into the shop. No more than twenty paces.
  • Options

She’s both right and wrong. Correct that many Catholics would not be eating meat and therefore be more likely to be in the queue. But the increase in the queue would also probably  include High Church (in the traditional sense) who also wouldn’t be eating meat.
  • Options
    The best fish and chip shop that ever existed was called the 'Ocean Breeze' on the Surrey Docks Underground Station one way system.
    The queues there on a Friday evening used to stretch back half way to Deptford.
    My confession is that since becoming a vegetarian the two things I miss are tinned salmon sandwiches, and Ocean Breeze Cod and Chips, even to the point of occasionally dreaming about the cod and chips!
    I wouldn't have fish now, but if desperate tormented and tempted after a long agonising while I might weaken for cod and chips.
    Gosh, I feel guilty and awkward even typing all that.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    1952 was as far as I remember to be my first game at The Valley.Thats why I use it as my name.I would have been 10yrs old.
    You just missed out on seeing Sam Bartram then SoundAsa£.  His last game was the year before.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Derek1952 said:
    Coverd End.As I do not know how to incert a comment in the place where some one has written one,I have to write it here.Do I still go to the Valley! No. The last
     game was 2015 against Bournmouth.It was getting a little expensive with season ticket,driving up from kent,programme and having something to eat.And being on a pension I had to stop going.Back to Fish and Chips,does remember the chip shop at Sand Street?.Used to go there when I stayed with grandparents at Woolich.
    That rekindled a long lost memory of a Chippie my family used in the very early sixties in Woolwich, called "The hole in the wall". 
    Was that in Raglan Road? 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Never ever not a long queue to get into The Magpie. Best fish and chips I’ve had ever. The fish is walked across the road from the market straight into the shop. No more than twenty paces.
    Great place, had to have Ham and Chips as i am allergic to fish, but the other half said her fish and chips was amazing. Great service also. Good to see the love for Chippy.
  • Options
    Great place, had to have Ham and Chips as i am allergic to fish, but the other half said her fish and chips was amazing. Great service also. Good to see the love for Chippy.
    Cor someone else that allergic to fish, I can’t even have it in the house, whilst I’m unable to eat fish which is bad enough, the smell of certain fish makes me violently I’ll, kippers being one of the most spectacular ones, it’s hard for my misses who loves fish to explain why I’m running out a restaurant when someone seats near to me and order “smelly” fish. When we do our cruises, she eat fish every day, lucky we now know what fish smells affect me, so she can. It’s one of my great regrets not being able to eat fish / shell fish etc, feel that I’ve missed out on so much in culinary terms, but most of all missed out on the great British tradition of fish and chips.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Derek1952 said:
    Was that in Raglan Road? 
    I can visualise the Hole in the Wall , but cant remember the name of the road.....it was a regular chippy for the family.

it lived up to its name as it wasnt a regular shop front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.just-eat.co.uk/restaurants-tom-bell-new-orpington-br6/menu?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwJuVBhCAARIsAOPwGAT3Odr3Os734hxxffGrjg_mkNZ45GMuWw4PL_8a50j6fir1JumPv7oaAqKbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My local chippy.

Fried fish is good Jewish food by the way and one of the few foods not rationed during WW2.

Love fish and chips and I go a bit Northern and have mushy peas which should count as one of my five a day so keep RCT happy 😊 

It's not the very cheap option it once was but compared to say Wagamama, which I love, it's still more affordable.

Surely Salisbury’s in Salisbury Road is fairly close to you.
    When I lived in Bromley I would often pop over there.
    Top class f&c takeaway.
  • Options
    Was a little surprised when 2× medium cod and chips,  with mushy peas set me back £30, it's a nice chippy with a great view over a lake,  but felt a little pricey. 
  • Options
    Kennedy's Streatham Hill is very good imo. Great portion size but is very expensive, i think £13ish for large cod and chips. 

• Options
    Agreed. Mentioned Kennedy's above. Shame they don't do their whitebait as a takeaway.
  • Options
    Cor someone else that allergic to fish, I can’t even have it in the house, whilst I’m unable to eat fish which is bad enough, the smell of certain fish makes me violently I’ll, kippers being one of the most spectacular ones, it’s hard for my misses who loves fish to explain why I’m running out a restaurant when someone seats near to me and order “smelly” fish. When we do our cruises, she eat fish every day, lucky we now know what fish smells affect me, so she can. It’s one of my great regrets not being able to eat fish / shell fish etc, feel that I’ve missed out on so much in culinary terms, but most of all missed out on the great British tradition of fish and chips.
    I know that feeling too well...I cant even have a left over that's touched fish on a plate. Strangely though I can eat tinned salmon or pilchards or fresh cockles. 

If I come in contact my lips swell up and the sensation in my mouth is like someone's put a sparkler in it.  lasts for about 20mins.

Same with fresh cherries, pears and peaches yet ok tinned. Yet noone else in my family is effected.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    You just missed out on seeing Sam Bartram then SoundAsa£.  His last game was the year before.
    Correct and didn’t attend the Huddersfield game either…..although that was in late 57 of course.
    Two of my biggest regrets.
    Though thankfully I did get to see plenty of Stuart Leary…….my all time favourite player. Years ahead of his time.
  • Options
    The last time I got caught out by it, was in a pub I had steak, boy was I bad lasted around 12 hours throwing up, wife was going to ring for an ambulance, she’s never seen me so Ill. Anyway went back to the pub and chatted to them explained what happened, and after much investigation they came to the conclusion it was either a dirty knife and fork or plate, they offered me a free meal, I didn’t take it up. My granddaughter has just developed the same symptoms and my son less so, but can suffer. I can eat prawns, but both myself and GD both suffer from the smell of fish, making walking past a wet stall impossible for us, I hold my breath and run. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Derek1952 said:
    Bought Cod and Chips last week cost £6.90,this week was £7.50.This was in Sittingbourne.What do you people in the London area pay on average.When I was a teenager in the fifties Cod and Chips cost
     1 Shilling(5p) 9 old pennies for Fish 3 pennies for chips.
    Large cod and medium chips (shared between me and partner) £10:75 Callington, Cornwall.  (Fresh fish mind).
  • Options
    Reading this thread the phrase "could have a fight in a room on his own" occurs to me.
  • Options
    I know that feeling too well...I cant even have a left over that's touched fish on a plate. Strangely though I can eat tinned salmon or pilchards or fresh cockles. 

If I come in contact my lips swell up and the sensation in my mouth is like someone's put a sparkler in it.  lasts for about 20mins.

Same with fresh cherries, pears and peaches yet ok tinned. Yet noone else in my family is effected.
    I have the same reaction to seafood. Got tested and was diagnosed with a severe dust mite allergy. Apparently the protein of crustaceans and dust mites are similar and so the body confuses them and has a defensive reaction when you eat them. It's not technically a seafood allergy since they're normally life threatening but it's bloody annoying nonetheless.