Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fish and Chips

Bought Cod and Chips last week cost £6.90,this week was £7.50.This was in Sittingbourne.What do you people in the London area pay on average.When I was a teenager in the fifties Cod and Chips cost
 1 Shilling(5p) 9 old pennies for Fish 3 pennies for chips.

Comments

• last week in Bexhill, medium cod and mini chips for the wife, scampii and large chips for me, and a guerkin. £21.05.
  • Derek1952 said:
    Bought Cod and Chips last week cost £6.90,this week was £7.50.This was in Sittingbourne.What do you people in the London area pay on average.When I was a teenager in the fifties Cod and Chips cost
    Yeah, it’s pricey. But then so are most things eh?

As an aside, just wondering - if you were a teen in the 50’s, why is your username @Derek1952 ?
    Not having a go, I previously just assumed that was your birth year…
  • Around £7:00 here in West Yorkshire. News item on local tv a few weeks ago was saying that around at least a third of Chippys set to close because the price of heating the oil, price of fish and potato’s are just too expensive and people are not now buying in the same numbers. Tragic really.
  • edited June 2022
    Derek1952 said:

As an aside, just wondering - if you were a teen in the 50’s, why is your username @Derek1952 ?
    Derek Ufton??  :)

To answer the OP question. In Hearn Bay 2 weeks ago it was the best part of £10 for large cod and chips.
  • Around £7:00 here in West Yorkshire. News item on local tv a few weeks ago was saying that around at least a third of Chippys set to close because the price of heating the oil, price of fish and potato’s are just too expensive and people are not now buying in the same numbers. Tragic really.

Probably cos they've sussed how appallingly bad it is for your health.

It's not a tragedy if people are choosing to stop eating shite regularly and making healthier choices. Quite the opposite really.
  • Derek1952 said:

English footballer Derek Ufton of Charlton Athletic FC August 1952 News  Photo - Getty Images
  • edited June 2022
    Around £7:00 here in West Yorkshire. News item on local tv a few weeks ago was saying that around at least a third of Chippys set to close because the price of heating the oil, price of fish and potato’s are just too expensive and people are not now buying in the same numbers. Tragic really.

It's not a tragedy if people are choosing to stop eating shite regularly and making healthier choices. Quite the opposite really.
    Well it’s a different argument really. The falling numbers of fish and chip suppers bought are directly due to rising cost. Nothing to do with any evangelical health awakening. I suggest Pizza and fried chicken are much worse.
  • £12.50 for a jumbo cod and £4.90 for large chips here in Essex. To be fair it's worth every penny, the cod is usually half the size of the plate! 

Well it’s a different argument really. The falling numbers of fish and chip suppers bought are directly due to rising cost. Nothing to do with any evangelical health awakening. 

Not where I'm concerned.   Nothing to do with cost but more to do with it being extremely unhealthy and therefore it will be few and far between when I eat them and I imagine millions up and down the country are the same.

It's a good thing that junk food is getting more expensive surely as that should incentivise people to eat healthier. 

The usual highly flawed argument that gets trotted out is that it's too expensive to eat healthily which is false. 

Well it’s a different argument really. The falling numbers of fish and chip suppers bought are directly due to rising cost. Nothing to do with any evangelical health awakening. 

Not where I'm concerned.   Nothing to do with cost but more to do with it being extremely unhealthy and therefore it will be few and far between when I eat them and I imagine millions up and down the country are the same.

It's a good thing that junk food is getting more expensive surely as that should incentivise people to eat healthier. 

The usual highly flawed argument that gets trotted out is that it's too expensive to eat healthily which is false. 

In this case I think you are missing the point completely 
  • Sponsored links:

Make the point more clearly then.  What is the "tragedy" about less people eating junk food regularly and a brand of junk food that is particularly unhealthy at that?
  • edited June 2022
    Around £7:00 here in West Yorkshire. News item on local tv a few weeks ago was saying that around at least a third of Chippys set to close because the price of heating the oil, price of fish and potato’s are just too expensive and people are not now buying in the same numbers. Tragic really.

i'm not disagreeing with you as such but, fish is VERY expensive compared to 10/20 years ago so even trying to eat fish as part of a healthy diet (not deep fried) is still very hard to do for some people.
  • edited June 2022

I absolutely love fish and chips. Due to that I often make it at home minus the batter (pan fried for skin crispiness and finished in the oven). Also use many different white fish a) for variety and b) because cod and haddock have risen steeply in price.

I wouldn't class fish and chips as junk food, either. Well, if there was a junk food scale I'd put it right at the bottom of the pile.

i'm not disagreeing with you as such but, fish is VERY expensive compared to 10/20 years ago so even trying to eat fish as part of a healthy diet (not deep fried) is still very hard to do for some people.

It is expensive yes but you can eat healthy fish far cheaper than junk food fish ie fish and chips or fillet o fish in  mcdonalds. 

Ie sardines, cod etc, tuna.  

I absolutely love fish and chips. Due to that I often make it at home minus the batter. Also use many different white fish a) for variety and b) because cod and haddock have risen steeply in price.

I wouldn't class fish and chips as junk food, either. Well, if there was a junk food scale I'd put it right at the bottom of the pile.
    i tend to use basa fillets at home, breadcrumbs and pan fried that than battered and deep.
  • Large cod £9 large chips £3 in Chislehurst the other week. 

I absolutely love fish and chips. Due to that I often make it at home minus the batter. Also use many different white fish a) for variety and b) because cod and haddock have risen steeply in price.

i tend to use basa fillets at home, breadcrumbs and pan fried that than battered and deep.
    Have used basa a lot myself. Most fish speaks for itself if seasoned well and cooked properly. For that reason alone I leave breadcrumbs and batter off the plate  :)
  • edited June 2022
    There’s a new chippy round by Albany Park Station .. superb. Quite expensive @ 17 for 2 medium cod and a portion of chips. But it ‘s very tasty and recommended 
  • £12.50 for a jumbo cod and £4.90 for large chips here in Essex. To be fair it's worth every penny, the cod is usually half the size of the plate! 
    What on earth is a Jumbo Cod out of Essex?!
  • Sponsored links:

Have used basa a lot myself. Most fish speaks for itself if seasoned well and cooked properly. For that reason alone I leave breadcrumbs and batter off the plate  :)
    i like something on the fish if doing a "fish and chips", if having with potatoes and veg etc tend to just fish it with a quick lemon and butter sauce 

Make the point more clearly then.  What is the "tragedy" about less people eating junk food regularly and a brand of junk food that is particularly unhealthy at that?
    Fish and chips are still one of the UK’s biggest and best loved takeaway meals. That’s a fact. Not been cheap for a long time but people still enjoy eating it but the current cost of living crisis is pushing it out of the reach of many. Because of that there are a lot of Chippys struggling and will go out of business. You can argue that’s a good thing but I don’t. I like most people eat relatively healthily but I do enjoy fish and chips when I’m at the coast and I expect most people on here do as well. The fact that a tradition and well loved and not the worst offender in terms of healthy eating is being priced out is I think to me a tragedy. Clear enough.?

Clear but ultimately flawed and no need to be so patronising in your tone SHG.   Especially when the medium to long term effects of  junk food on the population is far more harmful than covid and you've spent 2 years arguing about the priority of health etc which completely annihilated businesses and whole industries (and for the record I've agreed with 99% of what you've posted on that subject).

Some people love a beer and a fag.  That's gone up disproportionately the cost over the years and both are or were a national past time as much if not more. And that's a good thing if it's disincentivised people to stop killing themselves with cigs and (too much booze) surely.

If  people want to shovel shite into their bodies and place strain on the over burdened NHS then they will have to suck up the cost.

Unless you are at the coast regularly it's not people like you who are hitting the shops' bottom line iit's the drop in those likely eating it once or twice a week.

It's bad for the businesses of course but then that's the nature of change when you're living is made pumping out shite unhealthy food that will harm your regular punters and people are wising up that they need to take a bit more responsibility about what they feed themselves and their families regularly. 

Anyway I'm not spending a sunny Monday afternoon arguing the toss over fish and chips so will bail out. 
  • Large Cod & large chips £7.80 in Swanley, although price might have gone up over the last few weeks as I've not been in lately. And that is a very large Cod & the large chips will easily feed 2 people. 

As for the "healthiness" of it. All things in moderation. 
  • edited June 2022

i like something on the fish if doing a "fish and chips", if having with potatoes and veg etc tend to just fish it with a quick lemon and butter sauce 
    Lemon, butter, caper and parsley is my go to  :)
  • edited June 2022

Fish and chips are still one of the UK’s biggest and best loved takeaway meals. That’s a fact. Not been cheap for a long time but people still enjoy eating it but the current cost of living crisis is pushing it out of the reach of many. Because of that there are a lot of Chippys struggling and will go out of business. You can argue that’s a good thing but I don’t. I like most people eat relatively healthily but I do enjoy fish and chips when I’m at the coast and I expect most people on here do as well. The fact that a tradition and well loved and not the worst offender in terms of healthy eating is being priced out is I think to me a tragedy. Clear enough.?

Clear but ultimately flawed and no need to be so patronising in your tone SHG.   Especially when the medium to long term effects of  junk food on the population is far more harmful than covid and you've spent 2 years arguing about the priority of health etc which completely annihilated businesses and whole industries (and for the record I've agreed with 99% of what you've posted on that subject).

Some people love a beer and a fag.  That's gone up disproportionately the cost over the years and both are or were a national past time as much if not more. And that's a good thing if it's disincentivised people to stop killing themselves with cigs and (too much booze) surely.

If  people want to shovel shite into their bodies and place strain on the over burdened NHS then they will have to suck up the cost.

Unless you are at the coast regularly it's not people like you who are hitting the shops' bottom line iit's the drop in those likely eating it once or twice a week.

It's bad for the businesses of course but then that's the nature of change when you're living is made pumping out shite unhealthy food that will harm your regular punters and people are wising up that they need to take a bit more responsibility about what they feed themselves and their families regularly. 

Anyway I'm not spending a sunny Monday afternoon arguing the toss over fish and chips so will bail out. 
    Well perhaps you shouldn’t end your post with saying I need to make my point more clearly.

Well perhaps you shouldn’t end your post with saying I need to make my point more clearly.

Fair enough....sorry mate...ridiculous to get riled up over fisn n bleedin chips ha ha!   :-)

Apologies for derailing the thread.

• I can still work my way through an average pizza, Chinese or Indian with no drama, but ‘bad’ fish and chips is sooo disappointing. 

Love it, my regular shop is a cracker. Have it about once a month/ six weeks, but would have it every Friday if not such an outlay. 

Find basa to be very bland. Perfect for Thai fish cakes though
  • McBobbin said:

Find basa to be very bland. Perfect for Thai fish cakes though
    Yeah, it is. Needs to be heavily seasoned and the lemon and caper sauce is a must.

Red Snapper is a regular attendee at my local fishmongers. Lovely fish.