Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smart Meter

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps those who object to smart meters also resent petrol pumps, checkouts in supermarkets etc. where you see straightaway what you spend and pay accordingly. 🙂
    Or road pricing where you see exactly how much it's costing as you drive. But that idea always seems to go down like a lead balloon - even with the most ardent technology enthusiasts!
    Interesting one
  • Options
    My car has the ability to let me see exactly what my fuel consumption is as I drive referenced against my current miles per gallon or litre. The faster I go or drive in a certain way the mpg falls. Now you might say no shit Sherlock but it has changed my style of driving. I get more mpg.  I don’t dwell on looking at my Home Screen that comes with my smart meter and I’m not stupid enough not to know that the more appliances I use the bigger my bill but it is a help to see things that you might have considered as insignificant do actually contribute to my energy consumption and therefore bill. It stops me being blasé about my daily energy useage. Now I don’t really care two tits whether anyone else changes to a smart meter or not but to suggest it’s a waste of time or an imposition I think is basically trying to defend the indefensible. You’ll all have them eventually because there will be no choice. 
  • Options
    yes I am sure we will all have to have one eventually - I have one now - but I will reiterate it does not do anything to reduce my energy use. It just saves me typing 10 numbers into my app each month to give my reading. 

Sorry if my thoughts on that are indefensible to you Shooters. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    yes I am sure we will all have to have one eventually - I have one now - but I will reiterate it does not do anything to reduce my energy use. It just saves me typing 10 numbers into my app each month to give my reading. 

Likewise
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Not in the slightest. You highlight another small advantage.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    My car has the ability to let me see exactly what my fuel consumption is as I drive referenced against my current miles per gallon or litre. The faster I go or drive in a certain way the mpg falls. Now you might say no shit Sherlock but it has changed my style of driving. I get more mpg.  I don’t dwell on looking at my Home Screen that comes with my smart meter and I’m not stupid enough not to know that the more appliances I use the bigger my bill but it is a help to see things that you might have considered as insignificant do actually contribute to my energy consumption and therefore bill. It stops me being blasé about my daily energy useage. Now I don’t really care two tits whether anyone else changes to a smart meter or not but to suggest it’s a waste of time or an imposition I think is basically trying to defend the indefensible. You’ll all have them eventually because there will be no choice. 
    This 100% sums it up for me. 

I use eco pro mode when I drive an automatic, and yes, it impacts how the gearing changes which is great. But it also flashes up when I am driving too fast or accelerating too quickly.

I could, if I were furiously resistant to change and hard of thinking say "it doesn't stop the way I consume fuel" or I could say "it gives me a gentle nudge" and through that, it helps change my style of drive, which it has. 

• Options
    But the smart meter has not changed my use of energy in any way shape or form. 

What can’t you understand about that ?
    I state again, apart from sending off the monthly reading, the smart meter has no effect on me. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I state again, apart from sending off the monthly reading, the smart meter has no effect on me. 
    But you accept it might for other people right ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Don't give him an inch.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I will invoke the spirit of Huskaris and state I accept that the educationally challenged may find a benefit other than not sending off a reading each month….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

I use eco pro mode when I drive an automatic, and yes, it impacts how the gearing changes which is great. But it also flashes up when I am driving too fast or accelerating too quickly.

I could, if I were furiously resistant to change and hard of thinking say "it doesn't stop the way I consume fuel" or I could say "it gives me a gentle nudge" and through that, it helps change my style of drive, which it has. 

Nudge being the key word. This has its basis in nudge theory of behavioural change and there is plenty of research that households use less energy post smart meter. Some may choose to ignore it and they are allowed to make that choice. Others may obsess over it (which isnt healthy) but also their choice. The majority of people will take the little nudges that it gives and use them to save money and reduce energy. For me its a case of a quick glance when i am in the hallway - occasionally current usage looks weird so I go and have a look to find the missus has left the computer, printer or a light on in the office upstairs despite going out an hour ago. So I switch them off. Simple as that.

Also I dont know about everyone elses but mine with British gas - the little plug in screen isnt the meter. that is literally a display that tells you usage. The meter itself is on the energy supply under the stairs where the old one was. This is what sends the readings to the company and it will do so whether or not the display is plugged in. so you can unplug the display and ignore it if you so wish or if you are worried about the miniscule amount of power it draws. Mine also goes to sleep at certain times to reduce its energy consumption.

No downside of a smart meter imo
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Huskaris said:
    The smart meters enable the energy companies to understand better the patterns in usage. It will be one of the key things that will help us understand how best to utilise wind/solar power apparently.

Worst case scenario of having a smart meter is that you never have to give a meter reading again. 
    With respect, that is a load of bollox. A smart meter does fuck all in helping us understand how best to utilise wind or solar power. 

There is only one advantage to having a smart meter and that is not having to have your meter read or your meter reading submitted manually. 
    Wrong. I have a mate who is an analyst working on net zero targets and smart meter power usage data is one of the main data sources they draw on.
  • Options
    I realise now that for me I don’t want to fart arse around with all the under the stairs preparation and restoration faff.
    I don’t really care how that might make me look in the eyes of some.
    I would need more incentive than there is at the moment.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Nudge being the key word. This has its basis in nudge theory of behavioural change and there is plenty of research that households use less energy post smart meter. Some may choose to ignore it and they are allowed to make that choice. Others may obsess over it (which isnt healthy) but also their choice. The majority of people will take the little nudges that it gives and use them to save money and reduce energy. For me its a case of a quick glance when i am in the hallway - occasionally current usage looks weird so I go and have a look to find the missus has left the computer, printer or a light on in the office upstairs despite going out an hour ago. So I switch them off. Simple as that.

Also I dont know about everyone elses but mine with British gas - the little plug in screen isnt the meter. that is literally a display that tells you usage. The meter itself is on the energy supply under the stairs where the old one was. This is what sends the readings to the company and it will do so whether or not the display is plugged in. so you can unplug the display and ignore it if you so wish or if you are worried about the miniscule amount of power it draws. Mine also goes to sleep at certain times to reduce its energy consumption.

I agree, there is no downside to them but switching a light off upstairs when you've not been up there for an hour is common sense. I was told back in my yoot in the 90s to switch the tv and lights off when not using them by the parents. Don't need a smart meter to tell me that.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I agree, there is no downside to them but switching a light off upstairs when you've not been up there for an hour is common sense. I was told back in my yoot in the 90s to switch the tv and lights off when not using them by the parents. Don't need a smart meter to tell me that.
    of course its common sense and maybe a light was a bad example, but something like a computer which can go to sleep but still be drawing power when not turned off. You might not notice it or you might miss something that someone else has forgotten to turn off. No one can be on top of every electrical device in their house unless you are V old and only have 3 electrical things! This is basically something that can alert you to those things.
  • Options
    Smart lighting I find really helps;

I have a single button by the front door that turns off all lights, dead easy. Also all others are controlled by an app (as well as switches) so I can see if the house is empty and turn off those left on. It's lazy I know but when you have two teenagers it makes life simple.

You can run automations as well so after dusk certain lights come on as someone approaches the front door etc.

Not sure it's actually saved me any money with the cost of all the lights but makes me feel morally better  :D
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Smart lighting I find really helps;

I have a single button by the front door that turns off all lights, dead easy. Also all others are controlled by an app (as well as switches) so I can see if the house is empty and turn off those left on. It's lazy I know but when you have two teenagers it makes life simple.

You can run automations as well so after dusk certain lights come on as someone approaches the front door etc.

Not sure it's actually saved me any money with the cost of all the lights but makes me feel morally better  :D
    We have some smart lights too more for security after we had an attempted break in 2 weeks after we moved in. Having looked into it though the smart light bulbs (we use phillips hue) are actually slightly less efficient to run than LED non-smart lightbulbs.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Huskaris said:
    The smart meters enable the energy companies to understand better the patterns in usage. It will be one of the key things that will help us understand how best to utilise wind/solar power apparently.

Worst case scenario of having a smart meter is that you never have to give a meter reading again. 
    With respect, that is a load of bollox. A smart meter does fuck all in helping us understand how best to utilise wind or solar power. 

There is only one advantage to having a smart meter and that is not having to have your meter read or your meter reading submitted manually. 
    Wrong. I have a mate who is an analyst working on net zero targets and smart meter power usage data is one of the main data sources they draw on.
    By telling the wind to blow harder at peak times …. 
  • Options
    I had another email from E.D.F telling me to have a Smart meter installed.It was almost a bribe saying I could win several thousands.As it still not compulsory how many
     people have taken up the offer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derek1952 said:
    I had another email from E.D.F telling me to have a Smart meter installed.It was almost a bribe saying I could win several thousands.As it still not compulsory how many
     people have taken up the offer.
    Yes they are insistent buggers , im getting emails text atleast everyday , they sent someone around last year to fit one and the fella said he couldnt do it as its located in a hard to get at position . 
  • Options
    We did last August and have been pleased that we did. We are far more conscious of what we are using.

We're with EDF as well. Had a 6 month review of our payments through on Monday, but the bill showed only the electricity part, which showed we were £700 in credit. The dashboard for our online account showed that a further bill is due tomorrow and I'm hoping that it shows the true picture, with the gas as well.

I've kept a spreadsheet of where I think we stand, using the monthly figures from the smart meter. It will be interesting to see how close it is to the balance on the bill.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Smart meters in 6 months ago  - brilliant, took under 2 hours. No readings now and with Octopus I opt in to their savings sessions when they offer them, some when we are out and use little electric so win win and have saved a few bob (not much but every penny helps). Can check that our our payments each month are now bang on. Don't bother with the smart display -  we save where we can and don't want to get obsessed with it. Also the replacements fit nice and snug in under stairs cupboard and we have some more spare space now  to fill with other crap.

Impressed with Octopus - online everything is up to date and they do plenty of savings sessions too. Was auto switched from Avro when they closed.
  • Options
    Out of interest how much is everyone roughly spending on Gas and elec per day?
    I'm still around the £10 mark
  • Options
    £5 to £7 most days, but we're still on a 2 year fix until June.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I had smart meters installed last year, probably took 1 to 2 hours to replace the old meters.
    Don't have to read the meters any more, although you can if you want to, in order to check.
    The little display, size of a mobile phone plugged in the hallway shows your usage.
    I can't see a downside to be honest.
    I can.
    Now you don’t have any control.
    What actual discount does a smart meter provide?
  • Options
    Last 8 weeks £430 for both
    £7.80 a day
  • Options
    Smart meters in 6 months ago  - brilliant, took under 2 hours. No readings now and with Octopus I opt in to their savings sessions when they offer them, some when we are out and use little electric so win win and have saved a few bob (not much but every penny helps). Can check that our our payments each month are now bang on. Don't bother with the smart display -  we save where we can and don't want to get obsessed with it. Also the replacements fit nice and snug in under stairs cupboard and we have some more spare space now  to fill with other crap.

Impressed with Octopus - online everything is up to date and they do plenty of savings sessions too. Was auto switched from Avro when they closed.
    I'm identical to above.
    Although I did sign up for the Octopus tracker last month, where you are kind of paying wholesale prices, so a third cheaper than the government capped price that most people are on.

I would have given everyone the heads up, but they created a 6 month waiting list whilst I was talking to them and only put me on the tracker, because I had twice requested it in January and they hadn't done it.
  • Options
    Well, about six months ago we had over 15 months of statements adjusted as the smart meter readings were incorrect resulting in us owing 600 odd quid so yeah, I can see plenty of downside and absolutely zero benefit for us. 

• Options
    Oh and for February our gas/electric bill is £589.