Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smart Meter

Comments

• Options
    I would say I am too bog lazy to do some things, but prepared to put the effort into other things.
    Isn’t that like everybody?
  • Options
    Oh Seth.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I have read the bulb company orders regarding preparation.
    Not hassle free at all.
    The meter reader has not been round my gaff for years, one of us reads the numbers using a torch looking through a little hatch, the other one writes them down, and I phone them in.
    Making space under my stairs by moving stuff is not something I want to do, not because I am not ‘green’, but I can’t be arsed, don’t have the energy, and am too lazy to do the work for no benefit but at the risk of putting my back out again.
    Indeed I do a lot for the planet by being vegetarian, probably a lot more than having a smart meter installed which I would probably ignore once the novelty wears off.
    By sheer good fortune I got a fixed rate until November next year just before the price explosion happened.
    Maybe by November 2023 I can be persuaded if I am still alive.
    There you go pile on crew, a lot of personal information about me to fuel further criticism, fill your boots.
    No thank you.

You started by saying there are problems you need to see disproved then effectively admit it’s a laziness thing and/or need to rebel in a small way. I and others have shared enough to disprove the concerns. 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Far be it from me to defend Seth, by why should he have to get a smart meter if he doesn't want one? Why should anyone get one if they dont want one?

At the moment his electricity is working just fine. He flicks a switch when he wants it and turns it off again when he doesn't. Perfect. Same system we've had for years without any problems.

Im not anti smart meters at all, but I dont really see how it will save energy, unless you go and stare at it every time you boil a kettle. I've heard all sorts of stories about people becoming obsessed with their meters. Fuck that!

I can see how it might save you money if you get a cheaper tariff though, not available to those without a smart meter. The trade off there is presumably the energy company saves cost by not having to rely on meter readings - from you or someone coming round - so the saving is passed on.

But that isn't the case with my energy provider, so why change unless there is a compelling reason?
    Agree but it's cool tech init.

I'm not anti smart meter either. I actually have one because i needed it to get a certain tariff. However I'll carry on as I always have done pre my smart meter and switch lights off upstairs when I'm not up there and continue to boil the kettle all day long to get my usual 20 cups of coffee in.

I've chucked the smart meter under the stairs somewhere and havent looked at it since the week it was installed.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Far be it from me to defend Seth, by why should he have to get a smart meter if he doesn't want one? Why should anyone get one if they dont want one?

At the moment his electricity is working just fine. He flicks a switch when he wants it and turns it off again when he doesn't. Perfect. Same system we've had for years without any problems.

Im not anti smart meters at all, but I dont really see how it will save energy, unless you go and stare at it every time you boil a kettle. I've heard all sorts of stories about people becoming obsessed with their meters. Fuck that!

I can see how it might save you money if you get a cheaper tariff though, not available to those without a smart meter. The trade off there is presumably the energy company saves cost by not having to rely on meter readings - from you or someone coming round - so the saving is passed on.

But that isn't the case with my energy provider, so why change unless there is a compelling reason?
    If your energy provider contacted you and 
    simply said we’re updating our meters. The new meter will not mean you need to send in regular meter readings and we’ll provide you with a free little screen device that could help you to see how your energy is being used. ? It’s because it’s called a smart meter and conspiracy theories have grown up around that. You’ll have one eventually because I think in a few years they won’t make anything else. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

If your energy provider contacted you and 
    simply said we’re updating our meters. The new meter will not mean you need to send in regular meter readings and we’ll provide you with a free little screen device that could help you to see how your energy is being used. ? It’s because it’s called a smart meter and conspiracy theories have grown up around that. You’ll have one eventually because I think in a few years they won’t make anything else. 
    Ive already had the letters telling me to book my appointment. Then the ones "suggesting" I have one. Then the ones that use weasel words to make it sound like I dont have a choice when I do. 

All comes back to the same thing though, why?

I'm not that into gadgets that I feel compelled to get the latest thing. It wont be any cheaper for me - though it will save money for the energy company. And I have to pay to run it because it uses electricity. Not much at all, but more than I'm paying now. And it's a bit of a faff trying to arrange dates for installation, though not that much really.

But I'm still not getting why I need to change to one when theres no upside and only downside, albeit minor downside.
  • Options
    The smart meters enable the energy companies to understand better the patterns in usage. It will be one of the key things that will help us understand how best to utilise wind/solar power apparently.

Worst case scenario of having a smart meter is that you never have to give a meter reading again. 
  • Options
    One would imagine energy companies already know usage patterns sufficiently. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    The smart meters enable the energy companies to understand better the patterns in usage. It will be one of the key things that will help us understand how best to utilise wind/solar power apparently.

Worst case scenario of having a smart meter is that you never have to give a meter reading again. 
    With respect, that is a load of bollox. A smart meter does fuck all in helping us understand how best to utilise wind or solar power. 

There is only one advantage to having a smart meter and that is not having to have your meter read or your meter reading submitted manually. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How do you stop the disk spinning with a smart meter?
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    How do you stop the disk spinning with a smart meter?
    Yeh!  Anyone wanna buy these magnets?
  • Options
    Nope, got a very small drill bit.
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    Nope, got a very small drill bit.
    So I’ve heard 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Huskaris said:
    I would urge people who are against smart meters to rethink their position. 

If nothing else, to break free of the relationship I have noticed between people who don't want a smart meter, and low intelligence. 

Ignorance is strength and all that..

I'm saying this from a position of intense frustration that my SMETS1 no longer works since changing supplier. Desperate for it to start working again. The data is incredibly useful for helping you to reduce your bills at a time where we all need to be more aware of our outgoings. 

Being against that is like rallying against the loom, or being against the internet. 
    Relationship between people who don't want a smart meter, and low intelligence

Lol, yet you are banging the drum for having one so they can see when to switch off appliances. 

I am 64 years old and in total control of my energy usage without the need of a digital read out to tell me when to turn the upstairs lights off because we are all downstairs. 

I will never have a smart meter fitted and it has bugger all to do with my intelligence 
    Within ten or more likely five years there won’t be any other sort of meter. What will you do then ? Light candles ?
  • Options
    eaststandmike said:absl
    Huskaris said:

If nothing else, to break free of the relationship I have noticed between people who don't want a smart meter, and low intelligence. 

I'm saying this from a position of intense frustration that my SMETS1 no longer works since changing supplier. Desperate for it to start working again. The data is incredibly useful for helping you to reduce your bills at a time where we all need to be more aware of our outgoings. 

Being against that is like rallying against the loom, or being against the internet. 

Lol, yet you are banging the drum for having one so they can see when to switch off appliances. 

I am 64 years old and in total control of my energy usage without the need of a digital read out to tell me when to turn the upstairs lights off because we are all downstairs. 

I will never have a smart meter fitted and it has bugger all to do with my intelligence 
    Absolutely. The cost of this 'roll out', meter cost, fitter salary etc is only paid by increased bills to the consumer. Possibily by increase of the standing charge  that rocks up  time after time. Someone pays for it and its not the provider. 
    PS. What size drill bit?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Within ten or more likely five years there won’t be any other sort of meter. What will you do then ? Light candles ?
    Why are you being so obtuse about it? You got shares in the smart meter manufacturers?
  • Options
    It's a shame because a lot of posters I like, despite what I said above, are clearly anti smart meters. 

I don't know if I need to rethink the posters I like or rethink my statement about the link between intelligence and smart meters ;)

I might put it down as an age thing instead. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    eaststandmike said:absl
    Huskaris said:

Absolutely. The cost of this 'roll out', meter cost, fitter salary etc is only paid by increased bills to the consumer. Possibily by increase of the standing charge  that rocks up  time after time. Someone pays for it and its not the provider. 
    PS. What size drill bit?
    If everyone had a smart meter I guess a cost saving would be no need to employ meter readers anymore?
  • Options
    Perhaps those who object to smart meters also resent petrol pumps, checkouts in supermarkets etc. where you see straightaway what you spend and pay accordingly. 🙂
    What have those things got to do with smart meters? There is no correlation at all 
  • Options
    Perhaps those who object to smart meters also resent petrol pumps, checkouts in supermarkets etc. where you see straightaway what you spend and pay accordingly. 🙂
    Or road pricing where you see exactly how much it's costing as you drive. But that idea always seems to go down like a lead balloon - even with the most ardent technology enthusiasts!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    It's a shame because a lot of posters I like, despite what I said above, are clearly anti smart meters. 

I don't know if I need to rethink the posters I like or rethink my statement about the link between intelligence and smart meters ;)

Definitely not an age thing. We have one and Apart from not sending off monthly readings I still fail to see any other benefit to having one. 
  • Options
    Isn’t the thing that initially people want to kick back against potential imposition?
    Those who have smart meters have presumably made an active choice to have one. I say fair enough for them.
    Once they have one, one consequence is to declare to others what a cool choice they have made, like buying a car and extolling it’s virtues.

• Options
    We haven't had a smart meter installed yet, but are now considering it. After reading of the problems with first generation meters we decided not to have one until we could get a second generation meter.  EDF have recently been pushing for us to have one, so I have read the faqs and it seems they will install second generation meters so will probably go ahead and have one fitted.

The only question I have, is that our meters are in a detached garage, does anyone now if that is likely to be a problem?
  • Options
    I think the blurb when ours were fitted just said the main smart meter is installed to the electric meter and the gas one must be with 25 feet of the electric one to work properly 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Dont feel bad about it. To err is human.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think the blurb when ours were fitted just said the main smart meter is installed to the electric meter and the gas one must be with 25 feet of the electric one to work properly 
    I think your only issue will be WiFi connectivity. If that’s good in your garage then no problem. If it’s iffy then I doubt it’s doable.