Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One 2022-23

Comments

• Options
    I reckon that Forest Green are going to surprise people. They will be in the top 6 at least until the World Cup period.
    I'm almost certain they won't be.
    They only won a couple of games towards the end of last season and nearly blew a something like 20 point lead.
    22nd after a 5-0 mauling at Sheff W.
  • Options
    I believe a club like ours gains success by continuous improvement. That may sound obvious but you have to get the right conditions in place then support what you need to support to make it happen. Pretty much what happened with Curbs. The trick is finding a Curbs then backing your manager as far as possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I reckon that Forest Green are going to surprise people. They will be in the top 6 at least until the World Cup period.
    They only won a couple of games towards the end of last season and nearly blew a something like 20 point lead.
    I will wait for someone to excuse us drawing with them because they are a good side and will cause a lot of teams problems.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I will wait for someone to excuse us drawing with them because they ate a good side and will cause a lot of teams problems.
    Where as I do think you have a point, and we will eventually need to start picking up wins away from home and teams like Forest Green should really be where we are doing it. 

I also do think people do underestimate the quality of coaching and player down at league one level, and how good/solid/competitive/hard to break down teams are at home. 
  • Options
    I believe a club like ours gains success by continuous improvement. That may sound obvious but you have to get the right conditions in place then support what you need to support to make it happen. Pretty much what happened with Curbs. The trick is finding a Curbs then backing your manager as far as possible.
    Cool, let’s just find a Curbs and give him lots of backing. Job done! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I will wait for someone to excuse us drawing with them because they ate a good side and will cause a lot of teams problems.
    Where as I do think you have a point, and we will eventually need to start picking up wins away from home and teams like Forest Green should really be where we are doing it. 

I also do think people do underestimate the quality of coaching and player down at league one level, and how good/solid/competitive/hard to break down teams are at home. 
    I actually think people under estimate how much we have been let down by so many people over the last two years.  Players, managers, who ever manages the budget (not sets it, it's always been enough), recruitment.  I could go on.

That now the only defence left is to big up the opposition.  Yes they are good.  The general standard of league 1 is significantly better than it was 20 years ago.  I lot of that is trickle down economics, but we should be well above a lot of clubs we aren't.

That's mismanagement, both long term and short term.
  • Options
    It's certainly going to be an interesting season.

The top four already look very good and could be hard to catch. But they will all have their own wobbles whether they're in November, December or February, March.

Forget what everyone else is doing and aim for 2 points per game on average for automatics. If we missed out on 92, that would be quite unlucky.

Aim for 1.7 points per game for top six. Again, missing out with 78 points would be very unlucky. I'm not expecting a repeat of last season in that respect.
  • Options
    the current top 6 are what you might expect .. Bolton a disappointment so far as are MKD, Oxford and Wycombe .. we are in a handy position but rather like the effects of the French Revolution .. it is far too early to tell .. come the season's end there will still be a few 'big clubs' lingering in L1
  • Options
    Can't find the Joey Barton talking bollocks thread so I'll drop this here.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thinking back to 1969 when I started to follow Charlton i never had any thoughts about being promoted to the first division, although I think that year we were close. And after that season it never bothered me whether we gained promotion or not as it was always about following Charlton - win lose or draw. We of course ended up in the third division. But since our hazy days winning promotion to the dizzy heights of the Premier League we seem to have suddenly adopted that we have a right to belong in the premiership (Div 1) or the very least Div 2 and no longer just follow the team because its our local team. I guess we have higher expectations nowadays.  
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Thinking back to 1969 when I started to follow Charlton i never had any thoughts about being promoted to the first division, although I think that year we were close. And after that season it never bothered me whether we gained promotion or not as it was always about following Charlton - win lose or draw. We of course ended up in the third division. But since our hazy days winning promotion to the dizzy heights of the Premier League we seem to have suddenly adopted that we have a right to belong in the premiership (Div 1) or the very least Div 2 and no longer just follow the team because its our local team. I guess we have higher expectations nowadays.  
    Maybe it was because we were younger,football was also played more open.
    Still having footballers that had time for you.
    Yes football was fun back then we had no need to play top flight football.
    Today is another world and for the likes of the teenagers back in 1969 todays football is nothing. 
    Have you seen the coach driver Eddie or ye he’s by the piano,here we go again.
  • Options
    Forest Green beat Sheffield Wednesday .. love it !!
  • Options
    the Owls have taken 3 points from their last 5 games (3 draws, 2 losses), yet still top the table
  • Options
    the Owls have taken 3 points from their last 5 games (3 draws, 2 losses), yet still top the table
    Played a game more than both Plymouth and Ipswich now though. Would drop out of the top two if they both win their game in hand.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Glad to see that Accrington are in a good place despite their relegation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65608164

Yeovil for example never recovered when they reached the Championship, it was just too high for them

Never liked facing Accrington though, due to their horrible / gritty approach, it worked for them for five years so fair play - Never overly liked Holt's approach to the Salary Cap or iFollow either, but he was still decent enough to meet with our fans over club ownership back in 2018-19 (?) - One comment has always stuck with me, when he mentioned that an owner from outside Charlton will never have the same interest for the club, as us fans...

Gentle reminder about expectations for the next lot as well
  • Options
    Someone got excited and put Stockport in there. Definitely a much weaker division next season.
  • Options
    mouthwatering fixtures 

my only hope is we're out of the efl shitclub trophy asap
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone got excited and put Stockport in there. Definitely a much weaker division next season.
    Yep, even we must be able to get promo...t  ah  shit!
  • Options
    Some how we are 7th favourite for the title next season. Not sure how they have worked that out but they’ve got it ahead of Blackpool.
  • Options

Incredible that Stockport AND Carlisle got promoted. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Someone will get promoted next season. Why not us?
  • Options
    Some how we are 7th favourite for the title next season. Not sure how they have worked that out but they’ve got it ahead of Blackpool.
    Sadly that is probably based on our performances over the last couple of seasons.
  • Options

• Options
    https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/english-league-one/winner

Early days but bookies have us 7th favourites at the moment
  • Options
    looking ahead to next season i would say on paper we are one of the Big 6 - really is a case of if not promoted next year wont go up for a few. 

Pompey
    Blackpool
    Barnsley 
    Derby 
    Reading 

would be the others i would consider as historically big clubs who will have promotion on there minds, ive discounted wigan as they are on -8 before a ball is kicked. 
  • Options
    I would throw Bolton in the mix as well. They should be there or thereabouts next season.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    I would throw Bolton in the mix as well. They should be there or thereabouts next season.
    completely agree thought they were the best side we played at home last season