Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One 2022-23

Comments

• 3 Gloucestershire teams. That must be a first for us.  
    Moving to Cheltenham this summer, so pretty happy about this. 😎
  • Gloucester cricket headquarters is in Bristol. North Bristol support Gloucestershire south Bristol people support Somerset. 
  • Bristol Rovers's ground is in Horfield, a suburb of the city of Bristol, in southwest England. It lies on Bristol's northern edge, its border with Filton marking part of the boundary between Bristol and South Gloucestershire

Horfield
    Map showing Horfield ward north of the centre of the city
    Boundaries of the city council ward
    Population12,826 (2011.Ward)[1]
    OS grid referenceST597769
    Unitary authority
    Ceremonial county
    Region
    CountryEngland

United Kingdom

Therefore Bristol Rovers are in the county if Bristol, not Gloucestershire, just as Charlton is in London, not Kent.
  • I've gone for Bolton .. though it could be Notlob (14/1)
  • The table looks much better in alphabetical order. We’re 7th. 
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Was going to start a thread about this next week. Definitely think we are better than the bookies give us credit. I think the five subs will help us more than clubs like Oxford etc.

I am confident to say we won’t be challenging for top 2. I don’t think we have that game changer yet up top. For example, if we had Fosu or Holmes from Robbo season then I would say that is the final piece for us. Don’t see DJ, Kirk or CBT getting anywhere double figures even if they all played 40 games+ for us.

Simply put to guarantee top 6 we need a minimum of 20 more points than we got last season. To achieve this we need to keep more clean sheets and score more goals. Definitely think we are in a better position to keep more clean sheets now as we have a better midfield and full backs. 

• edited July 2022
    The table looks much better in alphabetical order. We’re 7th. 
    Silly billy.. ;)
    Still miss out by one place...tel ya what, we stick with the  CAFC, and Whamo, top six, playoffs here we come... B)
  • Ask me on 30th July, but currently I'd say 7th-10th. Still haven't addressed up front & until we do we'll still not score enough to get top 6. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A few predictions from me to point and laugh at come May 2023:

Winner: Ipswich
    Dark horse: Bolton
    Biggest flop: Derby/Barnsley 
    Charlton: 5th
    Straight back down: Forest Green
  • edited July 2022
    Winner: Sheffield Wednesday.
    Second: Bolton Wanderers

Play-Offs: Ipswich - Peterborough - Charlton - Derby

Relegation: Morecambe - Shrewsbury - Fleetwood - Bristol Rovers

No particular order for Play-Offs / Relegation 
  • It’s probably 12 teams that will think they have a realistic chance of play offs. I would guess we aren’t in NTT20s top 9 that they are trying to squeeze into 6 which I think is probably right. At the moment I think we will be in the 9th-12th range

My top 6 in order is: Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Peterborough, Derby, MK and Barnsley 

Bottom 4: Morecambe (if they lose Stockton, if not Cheltenham) Forest Green, Burton Albion, Port Vale
  • Racing Post highlights how Charlton we’re lowest goal scorers in top 15 last season, and how solving that problem appears to be problematic. 
  • edited July 2022
    Racing Post highlights how Charlton we’re lowest goal scorers in top 15 last season, and how solving that problem appears to be problematic. 
    And it's got worse by getting rid of Washington (and to a lesser extent Davison) and not replacing either.

And then compounding the problem by having a striker (Stockley) who doesn't really fit in with your system. Garner may think he links up play well, but where it matter (in & around the box) Stockley is just not good enough with the ball at his feet.

As it stands we wont be scoring enough to get top 10.

• Racing Post highlights how Charlton we’re lowest goal scorers in top 15 last season, and how solving that problem appears to be problematic. 
    And it's got worse by getting rid of Washington (and to a lesser extent Davison) and not replacing either.

And then compounding the problem by having a striker (Stockley) who doesn't really fit in with your system. Garner may think he links up play well, but where it matter (in & around the box) Stockley is just not good enough with the ball at his feet.

I think it’s got better by getting rid of Davison, regardless of whether we have replaced him 😂

I would be curious to see how many goals the Swindon players got the season before Garner arrived… They ended up with more goals, shots and possession than anyone in the league. 
  • The table looks much better in alphabetical order. We’re 7th. 
    It usually does
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    Racing Post highlights how Charlton we’re lowest goal scorers in top 15 last season, and how solving that problem appears to be problematic. 

I think it’s got better by getting rid of Davison, regardless of whether we have replaced him 😂

I would be curious to see how many goals the Swindon players got the season before Garner arrived… They ended up with more goals, shots and possession than anyone in the league. 
    Relegated from L1, scored 55.
  • I reckon that Forest Green are going to surprise people. They will be in the top 6 at least until the World Cup period.
  • I reckon that Forest Green are going to surprise people. They will be in the top 6 at least until the World Cup period.
    They lost their manager and 3 of their best players this summer so I would be very surprised. 

Think it’s hard for teams to be a surprise in league 1 now. There’s a clear split down the middle of 12 teams with money and 12 without. Somehow we managed to be the only one of the 12 to not finish in the top half last season but there was a big gap between 11th and the rest. I would expect similar this season but hopefully this time we won’t be in the bottom group
    I'm almost certain they won't be.
    They only won a couple of games towards the end of last season and nearly blew a something like 20 point lead.
    I think the complete opposite.  Manager gone, two full backs poached, trailed off towards end of last season, they’ll be very lucky to stay up IMO.  

Bristol Rovers on the other hand I think will have a decent crack at it.
    What is your logic for thinking the opposite of nearly everyone else?
  • edited July 2022
    Because people focus too much on the manager and individual players. Success comes from club stability, good planning including planning for such manager / player losses, and dedication to a cause. 
    I believe that they will use the financial gains made from the loss of the manager and players, and will find the answers.
    In short, I have no actual logic, but I have more faith in Forest Green being successful than us. 
    There was no logic to Charlton and Wimbledon's success in the late eighties. It came down to good planning, teamwork, and other indefinable ingredients necessary in sports.
  • Bizarre incident in the Shrewsbury vs Accrington game, where Shrewsbury player Tom Flanagan picked up 2 yellows in the same incident, neither for dissent either. 
    I'm almost certain they won't be.
    They only won a couple of games towards the end of last season and nearly blew a something like 20 point lead.
    20th after losing 0-3 at home to Plymouth (do have 1 game in hand tbf).
  • Jimmy Floyd H was pontificating on the TV yesterday .. he'd do well to pay attention to his day job and get his Burton team at it