Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One 2022-23

Comments

• Options
    Are the Wendy’s expected to keep most of their squad? Without having looked at their accounts am I right in thinking that if they don’t go up within the next two years they MUST be breaking ffp? There’s no way a league one club sustains one players 30k a week wages for 3 years let alone the rest of the squad. Personally hope they finish 7th on goal difference next year, or relegated. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Richard J said:

I think Wycombe will be weaker next season. The squad is ageing but I suspect Bolton will be stronger. They have brought well this last few windows. 

I know for a 100% certifiable fact, that one of the players they bought in the past year was told that they had a 2 year build plan to get promoted and year 2 will be next season so expect another further build on their squad this summer and them proper going for it. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

11th favourites for promotion, 18/1 for the title.........
    What about relegation?

I think we'll finish above Morecambe and Fleetwood. Who else will be in the bottom four?
  • Options
    Daft odds. No one's been bought or sold yet. We might suddenly sign 6 players worth £5m each. At least wait until the start of the season & see how all 24 squads match up. 
    Bloody hell! There must be some wicked free drugs knocking about Swanley these days.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Bolton 4/1 to be promoted looks great value IMO

Why do you say that Callum as it difficult to tell at the moment ? Is 4/1 great value when there are about 10 teams who could all come good. Ipswich will strengthen again and are rightly favourites.

I thought Bolton played with adventure which was a strength in that they go for the jugular (Cafc 1 Bolton 4) but also snatched defeats from the jaws of victory with their attacking intent.

They have the makings of a good team already. Means they don't have to go through a summer of heavy recruitment to be there or there abouts.

You rightly point out that their focus needs to be on improving their defence. Nonetheless, they've already started bringing in players to address that with the signing of Jack Iredale from Cambridge.

Add to that the fact that Ian Evatt knows what he's doing and has his teams improving season-over-season everywhere he's been and I'd be very shocked if Bolton were not top six at a minimum in 22-23.

With all of that in mind, 4/1 to get promoted looks like the best bet of the bunch for me.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What about relegation?

I think we'll finish above Morecambe and Fleetwood. Who else will be in the bottom four?
    I bet Christmas eve was a right laugh when you were kids.

All the presents are going to be shit, the turkey will be dry, eastenders will be shit, I bet the film is one we have already seen. 
    Then to top it all off Charlton on boxing day.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What about relegation?

All the presents are going to be shit, the turkey will be dry, eastenders will be shit, I bet the film is one we have already seen. 
    To be fair Eastenders always was shit!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What about relegation?

To be fair Eastenders always was shit!
    And we always watched a bloody film we'd seen before. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What about relegation?

If you look back through CL history, you will find that I'm normally an optimistic or at least realistic guy.

Back when we were younger at the match I would be telling golfie to stop being so negative.
    Also we were always in the top or second division.

Unnecessary negativity is pessimism.
    I'm being realistic. You've all got rose-tinted glasses on if you're looking at Charlton's promotion odds.

Imagine that I'm in the betting office with you with a spare 10000 quid. I promise you a commission on any winnings. How on earth could you convince me of a top half finish?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

What about relegation?

If we get Taylor I’ll be backing Exeter to go, they’re a bit of a league 1/2 yo-yo side anyway over the last couple of decades and losing your promotion manager will never be easy.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What about relegation?

If you look back through CL history, you will find that I'm normally an optimistic or at least realistic guy.

Back when we were younger at the match I would be telling golfie to stop being so negative.
    Also we were always in the top or second division.

Unnecessary negativity is pessimism.
    I'm being realistic. You've all got rose-tinted glasses on if you're looking at Charlton's promotion odds.

Imagine that I'm in the betting office with you with a spare 10000 quid. I promise you a commission on any winnings. How on earth could you convince me of a top half finish?
    I won't be backing us for a top half finish but I am not concerned that we will be relegated either. 
  • Options
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any convincing arguments as to why we'll even finish top half next season.

A better manager than last season?
    Better players?

Could you persuade the neutral betting man more successfully than the supporters of other clubs? If so, how?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any convincing arguments as to why we'll even finish top half next season.

Better players?

Could you persuade the neutral betting man more successfully than the supporters of other clubs? If so, how?

As a betting man the bar is low. Basically, we need an extra two points more than last  season, not the highest bar. There is a reason why we have never finished lower than 13. 

If Stockley stayed fit the whole season would have been an extra two points. We have replaced Aneke with Aneke which means we are stronger. Don’t think any club who finished in the bottom half has a player of Scott Fraser ability. We have resources which probably 15th teams can’t match at this level.

I am confident to say we will get more points that last season, because we just will. The bar is that low. Won’t make a proper assessment until we see the transfer window activity, but certain we will get more points than last season.

• Options

Better players?

At this stage no but I think realistic judgement points in predicting how the season will likely pan out will be at the start of the season (30 July) and the close of the window (end of August?) when the manager and squad will be in place.

It's irrelevant speculation until then really albeit it is probably and advantage to have a manager and majority of the squad in place for a settled pre season sooner than later rather than using the first month or two of the league to bed players in.
  • Options

Better players?

As a betting man the bar is low. Basically, we need an extra two points more than last  season, not the highest bar. There is a reason why we have never finished lower than 13. 

If Stockley stayed fit the whole season would have been an extra two points. We have replaced Aneke with Aneke which means we are stronger. Don’t think any club who finished in the bottom half has a player of Scott Fraser ability. We have resources which probably 15th teams can’t match at this level.

I am confident to say we will get more points that last season, because we just will. The bar is that low. Won’t make a proper assessment until we see the transfer window activity, but certain we will get more points than last season.

The last 4 seasons a team has finished in the bottom half with a player of exactly Scott Fraser's ability.  Scott Fraser himself in fact.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Better players?

The last 4 seasons a team has finished in the bottom half with a player of exactly Scott Fraser's ability.  Scott Fraser himself in fact.
    2 seasons actually, and both times the team finished 13th so only just bottom half 
  • Options
    Accrington Stanley
    Barnsley
    Bolton Wanderers
    Bristol Rovers
    Burton Albion
    Cambridge United
    Charlton Athletic
    Cheltenham Town
    Derby County
    Exeter City
    Fleetwood Town
    Forest Green Rovers
    Ipswich Town
    Lincoln City
    MK Dons
    Morecambe
    Oxford United
    Peterborough United
    Plymouth Argyle
    Port Vale
    Portsmouth
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Shrewsbury Town
    Wycombe Wanderers
  • Options
    Couple of trips to the north west then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

From an away games perspective looks a boring league. Mainly because most of the nearest grounds we have played at numerous times in last 10 years.

Pompey is great still.
    Probably our 5th or 6th visit to; Oxford, Wycombe, MK, Peterborough, Bristol in recent years.
  • Options
    It looks like we have to create an artificial rivalry with Wycombe Wanderers, as our nearest team next season  :D
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Better players?

2 seasons actually, and both times the team finished 13th so only just bottom half 
    Didn't Burton finish in the bottom half?

Edit: Finished 9th and 23rd in the championship 

Anyway it's incorrect.  Will Keane and Twine both finished in the bottom 6 last season.  Stockton and many others who will get biggish moves in the summer did this season.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Better players?

Didn't Burton finish in the bottom half?

Edit: Finished 9th and 23rd in the championship 

Anyway it's incorrect.  Will Keane and Twine both finished in the bottom 6 last season.  Stockton and many others who will get biggish moves in the summer did this season.
    Scott Fraser didn't play in the Championship, he joined them after they'd been relegated. He finished 9th and 12th in his two seasons with Burton. But yes, you're right, the teams position doesn't mean none of the players are good enough. George Dobson didn't deserve to finish in a bottom half team for example. 
  • Options
    So our local derby is with West Wycombe Wanderers !
  • Options
    3 Gloucestershire teams. That must be a first for us.  
  • Options
    3 Gloucestershire teams. That must be a first for us.  
    3  ???  Where do you get 3 from ?? FG & Cheltenham are the only teams in Glos. You should know that living the other side of the bridge. 
  • Options
    Bristol rovers 
  • Options

From an away games perspective looks a boring league. Mainly because most of the nearest grounds we have played at numerous times in last 10 years.

Pompey is great still.
    Probably our 5th or 6th visit to; Oxford, Wycombe, MK, Peterborough, Bristol in recent years.
    Next season looks to me like the most miles we will have had to travel in years, if not ever. Some long hauls in that fixture list and no derbies.
  • Options
    Bristol rovers 
    Bristol is a cityceremonial county and unitary authority in England.[7]Situated on the River Avon, it is bordered by the ceremonial counties of Gloucestershire to the north and Somerset to the south