Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weekends Away (UK only)

124»

Comments

• I went to the Cotswolds end of Feb..lovely part of the world
    Ate at the Lamb Inn in Crawley (Cotswolds) - was amazing. One of the best meals I have ever had, let alone best pub meal. Dont get it mixed up with the Lamb Inn in Burford which is just down the road.
    Stayed in the Maytime Inn near Burford which I would highly recommend
  • Off to Devon next week - Lynmouth and Lynton. We have various restaurants and a BnB booked so i can report back
  • WHAddick said:
    Off to Devon next week - Lynmouth and Lynton. We have various restaurants and a BnB booked so i can report back
    I will give you a wave on the way through, we are off to our place in Cornwall for a week.
  • WHAddick said:
    Off to Devon next week - Lynmouth and Lynton. We have various restaurants and a BnB booked so i can report back

Spent a week in Dunster last September and went to Lynton/Lynmouth for a day as Mrs Idle likes them very much. We walked down through the woods from the mill at the top. We had lunch outside at the Rising Sun pub and it was one of those meals that you remember for ages because everything was spot on, from the weather, walk, service, beer and food.
  • Sounds great Hans. We are actually staying in the Rising Sun for a night and eating there. Glad to hear it was so good!
  • edited May 2022
    Hi mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    Ah glad to hear the George in Rye has been rebuilt. Without it the High St just lacked that something different and special.
    Just returned from Rye. The George reopened yesterday. 
    How was it? @Darty Valiant
    Didn’t go in but hoarding taken down last Wednesday and reopening event taking place.  Heard a number of locals talking about it. Looked a grand old building, repainted a shade of terracotta. 

Spent my time drinking in The Standard, The Old Bell and also the Waterworks micro pub - which I definately recommend to real ale and cider officionados.

I love beer.
    The Hope Anchor Hotel is very nice if anyone is considering staying overnight in Rye.
    There's also a decent pub called The William the Conqueror out by Rye harbour, which is a nice walk from the town.
    Just be wary of the seagulls if your sitting outside.
  • Agree with Bradford on Avon - nice town and a good base. Just a bus ride for a day in Bath.
    Also Buxton, a nice spa town with good pubs, a couple of brewery taps and useful for exploring the Derbyshire hills and dales.
    Ludlow in Shropshire is another great base,  with a fantastic location on the bend of a river, a picturesque castle, lots of listed buildings and pubs galore.
    I did like Lincoln, especially The Strugglers pub (very apt at the time) in the Cathedral Quarter. 
  • Been to a lot of these places, been to lots of others. 

Gonna take a different tack and recommend a place NOT to go. Don't go to Cirencester. It is terrible
  • BOWAddick said:
    Agree with Bradford on Avon - nice town and a good base. Just a bus ride for a day in Bath.
    Also Buxton, a nice spa town with good pubs, a couple of brewery taps and useful for exploring the Derbyshire hills and dales.
    Ludlow in Shropshire is another great base,  with a fantastic location on the bend of a river, a picturesque castle, lots of listed buildings and pubs galore.
    I did like Lincoln, especially The Strugglers pub (very apt at the time) in the Cathedral Quarter. 
    I'll second a couple of those.

The Peak District generally is superb - Buxton is lovely, as is Bakewell, and Chatsworth is always worth a visit. I'm lucky to live pretty much on the edge of the Peaks.

Ludlow again, fantastic - very good Christmas market as well and even better if you can combine the trip with a day at Ludlow races! It's also a bit of a foodie heaven.
  • Another thumbs up for Ludlow. Very pretty, and full of great places to eat and drink.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leamington spa. Some lovely parks in the centre of town. Good pubs and restaurants too
  • We're off to Brighton for a couple of days on Monday, can't wait.
  • Only read the thread to make myself feel homesick, those pictures are a right kick in the balls AFKA. 

Roll on 2024…. 😞 
  • St Ives Cornwall, New Year's eve. Brilliant, one of the best.
  • Theres got to be a lot of people earning good money out there.
    How do people do it with a family.
    A couple of times this month me and the missus done a couple of Sunday nights in Hythe, sitting there in the bar/restaurant on the beach
    Pint and a glass of Pimms not far short of £20.
  • Down in Brighton for a couple of days, really can’t beat it down here. Wife’s had to drag me away from Jump The Gun & Modfather clothes shops before I spend even more money in there. 
  • clb74 said:
    Theres got to be a lot of people earning good money out there.
    How do people do it with a family.
    A couple of times this month me and the missus done a couple of Sunday nights in Hythe, sitting there in the bar/restaurant on the beach
    Pint and a glass of Pimms not far short of £20.
    One way to save money is to replace trousers with shorts. 
    You must be minted mate.