Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weekends Away (UK only)

Comments

• Options
    Done a few pub crawls along Rose Street Edinburgh.

Snap!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    cafcfan said:
    bobmunro said:
    Edinburgh is a great destination for a short break - especially for the Festival and the Tattoo. 
    A very, very short break. Maybe an afternoon.

If you've ever wondered why news items from Edinburgh always have the castle as a backdrop, it's because it's the only fecking thing there!  And it looks more like a Govan tenement building surrounded by walls rather than a proper castle. Even the main drag only has shops on one side. (They put a park on the other.) In any event, all you can buy is tartan tat and Edinburgh rock, both of which are highly undesirable.  In fairness the shortbread is okay but you can get that in your local Tesco. Oh, and it will rain.

If you really must go to Scotland, Glasgow is much, much better. A vibrant city with the added bonus of Sauchiehall Street and the fabulous Burrell Collection which has just reopened after a 6-year refurb - and it's free too!

You are not looking properly. I did say festival and tattoo. Hogmanay is great also if you like that sort of thing. I would imagine a bit of Scottish heritage helps as well.

I won't disagree with Glasgow though - brilliant buzz but with a hard edge (no bad thing).
  • Options
    Highly recommend Portmeirion in Wales. Architecture is not British and you can learn the history behind it and take in its uniqueness. 
  • Options
    Highly recommend Portmeirion in Wales. Architecture is not British and you can learn the history behind it and take in its uniqueness. 
    Careful you don’t get banged up though. 
  • Options
    Shamelessly hijacking the thread here but if anyone fancies a weekend away 17th to 19th June there are two places available on the CL trip to Bayeux and The Normandy Beaches WW2 weekend. PM me if interested.
  • Options
    Shamelessly hijacking the thread here but if anyone fancies a weekend away 17th to 19th June there are two places available on the CL trip to Bayeux and The Normandy Beaches WW2 weekend. PM me if interested.
    Am so looking forward to this.
  • Options
    BertieB said:
    DA9 said:
    Weekend in Bournemouth end of June, 1/2 price fizz friday. Afternoon tea and Sunday carvery over the weekend, large pool and sauna etc.
    weekend in Canterbury end of July for a Buble’ concert at the cricket ground 
    Just back from an enjoyable weekend away with the missus in Canterbury.  Falstaff hotel and The Goods Shed for dinner both excellent 
    We’ve stayed in the Falstaff before, nice place.
    Is that the one in the high street? 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    BertieB said:
    DA9 said:
    Weekend in Bournemouth end of June, 1/2 price fizz friday. Afternoon tea and Sunday carvery over the weekend, large pool and sauna etc.
    Just back from an enjoyable weekend away with the missus in Canterbury.  Falstaff hotel and The Goods Shed for dinner both excellent 
    We’ve stayed in the Falstaff before, nice place.
    Is that the one in the high street? 
    No, that's the Abode.

Falataff is by Westgate.
  • Options
    BertieB said:
    DA9 said:
    Agreed on the Goods Shed, superb food.
  • Options
    Belfast, great city, fantastic people and reasonably priced. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whitstable, Rye, Sandwich and Broadstairs in Kent.

Cromer, Hemsby and Aldeburgh on the east coast.

Tenby in Wales.

Whitby up North.

Oban, Fort William, Bowmore, Inverary and Tayvallich in Scotland.

Ilfracombe and Mevagissey in the South West.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Ah glad to hear the George in Rye has been rebuilt. Without it the High St just lacked that something different and special.
    Just returned from Rye. The George reopened yesterday. 
  • Options
    Just booked a weekend in Hathersage in the peak district, three of us in a pub with rooms (one of my favourite phrases, along with beer garden and free bar). We will do some walking, some eating but mostly glug beer
  • Options
    Whitstable, Rye, Sandwich and Broadstairs in Kent.

Cromer, Hemsby and Aldeburgh on the east coast.

Tenby in Wales.

Whitby up North.

Oban, Fort William, Bowmore, Inverary and Tayvallich in Scotland.

Ilfracombe and Mevagissey in the South West.
    That's quite a lot of traveling for a weekend though
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Just booked a weekend in Hathersage in the peak district, three of us in a pub with rooms (one of my favourite phrases, along with beer garden and free bar). We will do some walking, some eating but mostly glug beer
    A few crisp pints?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Did a similar in Castleton at The George Inn, a good few nice pubs in the area too
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Lovely part of the world, you'll love it.

If you have time, try and get to Castleton which is not far from Hathersage. It's a beautiful old village with stunning scenery, Peveril Castle, blue john mines and some super pubs serving great food. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

If you have time, try and get to Castleton which is not far from Hathersage. It's a beautiful old village with stunning scenery, Peveril Castle, blue john mines and some super pubs serving great food. 
    Sorry, lonelynorthernaddick beat me to it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Ah glad to hear the George in Rye has been rebuilt. Without it the High St just lacked that something different and special.
    How was it? @Darty Valiant
  • Options
    Hi mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    Didn’t go in but hoarding taken down last Wednesday and reopening event taking place.  Heard a number of locals talking about it. Looked a grand old building, repainted a shade of terracotta. 

Spent my time drinking in The Standard, The Old Bell and also the Waterworks micro pub - which I definately recommend to real ale and cider officionados.

I love beer.
  • Options
    Dymchurch - RHD Railway, Dungeness, Hythe, Folkstone - and an  hour away .
  • Options
    Always try and find time for a weekend down there every year. Usually stay in Romney Sands caravan park and take my mum with us. Dymchurch high st has improved over the last few years, there’s a micro pub, a couple of nice cafes, decent butchers & bakery (no candle maker though). The beach is lovely and you’ve got the funfair for the kids.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Worth noting if anyone stayed in Castleton you can easily walk from the village, up Winnat's Pass, then across to Mam Tor, and along the ridge then back to the Village, in an afternoon at a easy pace - we did it and was a very enjoyable day!

The 3 mines available are also all within walking distance - 30 max maybe to the furthest one.
  • Options
    Hi mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    Didn’t go in but hoarding taken down last Wednesday and reopening event taking place.  Heard a number of locals talking about it. Looked a grand old building, repainted a shade of terracotta. 

Spent my time drinking in The Standard, The Old Bell and also the Waterworks micro pub - which I definately recommend to real ale and cider officionados.

I love beer.
    The Hope Anchor Hotel is very nice if anyone is considering staying overnight in Rye.
  • Options
    Off to the Yorkshire Dales this weekend. Nidderdale region
  • Options
    Hi mendonca said:
    mendonca said:

I love beer.
    The Hope Anchor Hotel is very nice if anyone is considering staying overnight in Rye.
    There's also a decent pub called The William the Conqueror out by Rye harbour, which is a nice walk from the town.
  • Options
    Always try and find time for a weekend down there every year. Usually stay in Romney Sands caravan park and take my mum with us. Dymchurch high st has improved over the last few years, there’s a micro pub, a couple of nice cafes, decent butchers & bakery (no candle maker though). The beach is lovely and you’ve got the funfair for the kids.
    My kids loved holidays in Dymchurch when they were little  - the Wife's Parents had a caravan on Pipers. Great times. And Folkstone also had a wonderful kids permanent fair too in those days.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Edinburgh is a great destination for a short break - especially for the Festival and the Tattoo. 
    Edinburgh is wonderful. Don't know how well others on here know it e.g. Weegie, but happy to come up with some ideas if anyone wants, as know it pretty well