Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weekends Away (UK only)

Comments

• Options
    Roly’s fudge shop in Lincoln was worth a visit (if you like fudge) had never heard of them before, didn’t realise they were a nationwide chain, he’s really branching out after fudging us up.
  • Options
    Sadly, I find Broadstairs a tad boring and dare I say it, gets a bit tiring finding out which part of SE London everybody is from either for the day trip or house move. 

I do like it on a quiet midweek day and a nice coastal walk go Ramsgate.
  • Options
    Always enjoyed going down to Hastings.
    Just stick to the Old Town, though some parts of St Leonards are nice.
  • Options
    Walmer/Deal lovely walks along the front good pubs and plenty of nice places to eat.
  • Options
    Walmer/Deal lovely walks along the front good pubs and plenty of nice places to eat.
  • Options
    Roly’s fudge shop in Lincoln was worth a visit (if you like fudge) had never heard of them before, didn’t realise they were a nationwide chain, he’s really branching out after fudging us up.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Sadly, I find Broadstairs a tad boring and dare I say it, gets a bit tiring finding out which part of SE London everybody is from either for the day trip or house move. 

I’ve got visions of you pacing up and down the streets and stopping every passer by and asking where they come from. 
  • Options
    Oxford and Cambridge, both fairly obvious but nonetheless worthwhile.  
  • Options
    Weekend in Bournemouth end of June, 1/2 price fizz friday. Afternoon tea and Sunday carvery over the weekend, large pool and sauna etc.
    weekend in Canterbury end of July for a Buble’ concert at the cricket ground 
  • Options
    Couple of days in Rye, E.Sussex soon. Never been, supposed to be a decent spot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Bournesnr said:
    Deal to Dover is a nice walk and you can get the train back to Deal from Dover. If that's a bit much of a walk a wander down to the Zetland Arms at Kingsdown is quite nice.
  • Options
    It's nice, we're staying there in November at a place called The George, which is supposed to be lovely.

We've also booked a night in Brighton for half term week. Been there loads over the years but still one of our go to places for a weekend away. 
  • Options
    It's nice, we're staying there in November at a place called The George, which is supposed to be lovely.

We've also booked a night in Brighton for half term week. Been there loads over the years but still one of our go to places for a weekend away. 
    Any place you recommend to an ex Hurstmerian (left 1984) where to eat/ drink visit? 

• Options

Any place you recommend to an ex Hurstmerian (left 1984) where to eat/ drink visit? 

I left in '84 too. Never actually stayed there before, only ever visited for the day when we've been down that way. Just mooched about the shops for a bit and grabbed a bite to eat in one of the pubs in the high st. Been quite a while since we've been though so can't really recommend anywhere.
  • Options
    Try visiting the Waterworks when your there (micro-pub) assuming you like a real ale that is.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Edinburgh is a great destination for a short break - especially for the Festival and the Tattoo. 
  • Options

The George has recently been done up since it was badly damaged by fire, look forward to visiting the bar the next time I'm in Rye.
  • Options
    Oxford and Cambridge, both fairly obvious but nonetheless worthwhile.  
    Agreed, but prefer Oxford
  • Options

Stayed there over twenty years ago, beautiful old place, all uneven floors and little nooks. Maybe the refurb Hastings mentions will have lost some of that, but I bet it's still nice.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Have been a few in last few years 
    rye - stayed at the mermaid inn 
    Oxford - done Bicester at the same time 
    Cambridge - I didn’t rate 
    tenterden - lovely Italian 
    Stratford upon Avon and Bourton on the water - lovely 
  • Options
    Ah glad to hear the George in Rye has been rebuilt. Without it the High St just lacked that something different and special.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Weekend in Bournemouth end of June, 1/2 price fizz friday. Afternoon tea and Sunday carvery over the weekend, large pool and sauna etc.
    Just back from an enjoyable weekend away with the missus in Canterbury.  Falstaff hotel and The Goods Shed for dinner both excellent 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Penge. 
    Oi 
    I lived in Penge till I was 11
    I still live there. Obviously too many Palace fans knocking about but the place has steadily improved down the years.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Ah glad to hear the George in Rye has been rebuilt. Without it the High St just lacked that something different and special.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    Weirdest thing - I loved the one in Lincoln, amazing fudge.

Then visited the ones in Tintagel and Canterbury - awful.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

I’ve got visions of you pacing up and down the streets and stopping every passer by and asking where they come from. 
    No, don't worry - they tell you.

"Lovely here, isn't it?  We're just down from...."
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:
    Edinburgh is a great destination for a short break - especially for the Festival and the Tattoo. 
    A very, very short break. Maybe an afternoon.

If you've ever wondered why news items from Edinburgh always have the castle as a backdrop, it's because it's the only fecking thing there!  And it looks more like a Govan tenement building surrounded by walls rather than a proper castle. Even the main drag only has shops on one side. (They put a park on the other.) In any event, all you can buy is tartan tat and Edinburgh rock, both of which are highly undesirable.  In fairness the shortbread is okay but you can get that in your local Tesco. Oh, and it will rain.

If you really must go to Scotland, Glasgow is much, much better. A vibrant city with the added bonus of Sauchiehall Street and the fabulous Burrell Collection which has just reopened after a 6-year refurb - and it's free too!
  • Options
    Done a few pub crawls along Rose Street Edinburgh.
  • Options
    BertieB said:
    DA9 said:
    Just back from an enjoyable weekend away with the missus in Canterbury.  Falstaff hotel and The Goods Shed for dinner both excellent 
    We’ve stayed in the Falstaff before, nice place.