Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our Biggest Rivals Poll (Top 5)

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds
    5. A toss up between pompey and Birmingham city, although that’s a throwback from days gone by. 
    I can understand West Ham - although more hatred than rivals I would guess.

But interesting that you put the Nigels above us.
    I just find their fan base more grating and smug. And growing up they always seemed to get spawny results against us. 
    I'd put Leeds above Charlton, personally.
  • 1. Millwall
    2. Palace
    3. Gillingham
    4. West Ham
    5. AFC Wimbledon
  • bobmunro said:
    1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds
    5. A toss up between pompey and Birmingham city, although that’s a throwback from days gone by. 

I just find their fan base more grating and smug. And growing up they always seemed to get spawny results against us. 
    They are - 2 divisions above us 😃
  • bobmunro said:
    1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds

Yeah, plenty would. 
  • Millwall
    Palace 
    West Ham
    Gillingham 
  • bobmunro said:
    1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds

Where would you put palace? 
  • 1. Used to be Palace when I went to school in West Wickham in 90s and never really sensed a rivalry back then with Millwall but would enjoy beating Millwall more now because we never do and it's been pretty humiliating in the past 15 or so years we've played them.
    2. Palace 

Don't have a major dislike of either of the above clubs really and have mates/ acquaintances' who are supporters of them and better people than some of the cock wombles I've witnessed as Charlton fans but do see them as rivals in the local derby sense and do enjoy the atmosphere and build up until the football inevitably ruins it.

Can't get excited about other "local" derbies like Gillingham or Wimbledon etc and have never minded West Ham.

My least favourite clubs would be Leeds, Chelsea and Birmingham. 

• For me

Millwall
    Palace

And that’s it to be honest 

However, the reality is that next season we have zilch approaching a local derby- with Gills down (not a derby in our eyes, but they think it is) the closest we have to a ‘local’ derby is Pompey or Cambridge or Peterborough and maybe Reading - hey ho

• Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds

Honestly? In a category all of their own. I don't see it as a rivalry....I just hate everything about them.
    One thing that we all have in common 
  • bobmunro said:
    1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds

Honestly? In a category all of their own. I don't see it as a rivalry....I just hate everything about them.
    Same. They make my teeth itch
  • bobmunro said:
    1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds

Agreed.

People may dislike other clubs from a non-rivalry perspective - may I suggest Millwall being a prime example?? But Millwall are a proper football club, as are Leeds et al who I also detest.

Palace on the other hand are just weird.
  • I'm glad we only have the two (well 1 really as palace are something else) as I'm not sure I could deal with having any more.
     Seeing millwall nearly get into the playoffs this season and no doubt once there somehow in a jammy way get themselves promoted would of been a right kick in the face. 
    Pisses me off that they have been able to keep their best players recently when we are always ready to part with ours. That and we always lose to them. 

How you can feel that way for even 2 teams never mind 5 would make me an even bitter person than I am already and ready to call it a day. Bad enough hating my own team most of the time without all of that on top.
  • 1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds
    Thanks for sharing but this is not getting included in the survey.  I’ll do a separate one for just you and the other “lurkers” 😉 
  • The analysis I’ve seen from a few I’m well in agreement with.  

Millwall are scum, and palace are just wankers.  

That works well, because millwall aren’t wankers, we live among them and some are alright, but there are some scum, by contrast palace aren’t scum, they’re just wankers, the fans you look at and think “ah go away you weirdos”, they were the losers in your class at school.  

And there isn’t really a 3rd/4th/5th, not anyone we collectively really dislike anyway, nothing like the midlands where you can support say wolves or Coventry and hate about 4/5 clubs around you.  

Anyway results pending, will post Friday 👍🏻 
  • edited May 2022
    Palace and Charltons' fanbases are very similar no matter how much elements of ours desperately and unauthentically/ failingly try to imitate Millwall's.  

There's enough face paint, flags and fake wigs on big Charlton days to sink the cast of TOWIE so really can't see the fundamental disparity between us and the Nigels.   Added to that the middle class hand ringing, mix of fanbases from the knuckledraggers to the toffs and there isn't a huge difference between the clubs.  

We had pitchside sofas and hand clapper bits of card at games in recent years along with opera singers and now a guitar playing owner.  All text book palace.  

The Ultras though.  That is a "unique" difference to be fair. 

I know this will hurt a lot of you to read but honest self- reflection is the first step of true healing.

Top effort, sir.

That'll add a few more pages, for sure 😂
  • Palace and Charltons' fanbases are very similar no matter how much elements of ours desperately and unauthentically/ failingly try to imitate Millwall's.  

There's enough face paint, flags and fake wigs on big Charlton days to sink the cast of TOWIE so really can't see the fundamental disparity between us and the Nigels.   Added to that the middle class hand ringing, mix of fanbases from the knuckledraggers to the toffs and there isn't a huge difference between the clubs.  

We had pitchside sofas and hand clapper bits of card at games in recent years along with opera singers and now a guitar playing owner.  All text book palace.  

I know this will hurt a lot of you to read but honest self- reflection is the first step of true healing.

Sorry but I will never accept that 99% of Charlton fan's are anything like the Nigels 
  • Sponsored links:

• Palace and Charltons' fanbases are very similar no matter how much elements of ours desperately and unauthentically/ failingly try to imitate Millwall's.  

Not sure I’ve ever disagreed with a post so much, and I’m a regular in the house of commoners section of the forum.

Not sure I’ve ever disagreed with a post so much, and I’m a regular in the house of commoners section of the forum.
    I don’t agree either tbh. 

Do not see that at all … in a lifetime of supporting Charlton, I’ve never come across any that come even remotely close to the pathetic mess of the (thankfully) few Palaaarse fans that I have been forced to interact with (mainly parents of school friends of my kids).  

You're comparing fanbases but then list a load of things the club and/or owners have done, rather than the fanbase. 

As for the bit in bold... I'm not even sure where to start. 

WWWWWWWHAT???
  • 1st Palarse
    2nd Spanners
    3rd Gillingham 
    4th West Ham 
     I can't think of a 5th I feel that strongly about.

There is a big gap between the Spanners and the Gills. The top two places are strongly contested and may change from time to time. 

• bobmunro said:
    1. west ham 
    2. palace
    3. you lot
    4. leeds

On the top

Build a bonfire build a bonfire
    Put the Palace on the top
    Put the Millwall in the middle
    And burn the fu&£$%g lot.
  • 1st Millwall
    2nd Palace
    3rd Gillingham
    4th West Ham
    5th Leyton Orient 
  • 1. Millwall 
    2. Palace 

I know loads of millwall and mostly they're alright - if we were to beat them in the next 10 games we played them, i'd probably have similar views to what they have currently about us. Palace, yes a bit of a laughing stock but i also know a few decent one's but they don't really come into my thinking much really as the groundshare stuff is now a distant memory. It's millwall's results i look for and want to beat way and above anybody else partly because we share the same bit of London / Kent so are surrounded by each other but mainly because i'm sick of losing to them.  

West Ham and Gillingham i'm not really bothered about

• 1. Millwall
    2. Palace
    3. Chelsea
    4. Man Utd
    5. Coney Hall (Sunday league back in the 80s).