Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited April 2022
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    People know we don't have to sign players that used to play for us right? 
    People do know it’s possible for a former player to come back to play for us and do well, right?
    Naby wasn't good here the first time round, and if he'd improved at all he'd be playing regular football somewhere. We romanticise ex players far too much, usually based on how likeable they are as a person 
    I agree generally, but equally why rule out ex players purely because they've played for us previously? That's nonsense too. So you wouldn't want Pope in goal next season, or Konsa and Gomez at CB? Grant up top?
    Be sensible !!

The players some posters would want us to (re) sign would be the likes of Magennis, Cousins, Piggott and Lapslie.
    Magennis, seriously? People think he done well last season as he scored 18 in the league. Fact is, he had a patch of form where he scored 7 in 8 at the end of the season. His record elsewhere for the last few seasons is no more than 5 or 6 goals a season. 

Cousins was close to joining in the summer but went to Wigan. Admittedly been injured most of the season so don’t know how he would’ve performed.

Pigott is a goalscorer at this level but like Fraser, they signed him because of his name and got far too many players in that position that he’s not settled nor favoured. He’ll leave in the summer. Could be a decent signing. Better option than someone like Stockton.

Lapslie, goodness me who has said that? League Two is his level.

I really hope the quality of player coming in this summer is of the standard Fraser came in with. He’s had it tough with lack of match fitness, then covid that hit him hard, then coming into a struggling team, but with a good pre-season, I think he could be very good next season.
  • Young Kevin Lisbie is being looked at VCD by scouts. One for Sandgaard Jr to crunch the numbers on
  • Luke McCormick from Wimbledon
    I liked their lapslie look alike. Rudini??
  • Who's the ex spanner now at Gillingham who was previously on loan at Pompey? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Who's the ex spanner now at Gillingham who was previously on loan at Pompey? 
    Ben Thompson 
  • Anthony Scully from Lincoln
    Very impressed with him, would be a good player to add to our squad. No idea re contract etc
  • shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who's the ex spanner now at Gillingham who was previously on loan at Pompey? 
    Ben Thompson 
    That's the one.  Thanks. 
  • edited April 2022
    Luke McCormick from Wimbledon
    I liked their lapslie look alike. Rudini??
    Yes also a good young and skilful player that I wouldn’t be unhappy to have.

Like Scully, he probably isn’t a natural fit due to our formation not accommodating them (winger for Scully, no. 10 for Rudoni). In that case, we would have to be confident that we have a clear plan to utilise them before signing otherwise we are going to end up in the same boat this time next year with good young players but nowhere to fit them in.

Scully strikes me as a second striker type, lots of running and pace, an eye for a finish. Whereas Rudoni might be better in a deeper role where his pretty feet would serve better - would need to put on some weight though.
  • Can we have full height disclosure for each rumour subject please.  
    As you desire…

Scully 5’8
    McCormick 5’9
    Sykes 6’5
  • Sponsored links:

• Sykes will go to the championship I think. But he would be perfect for us, used to playing as the outside CB in a back 3 and he’s massive. Also kicked Lyle Taylor when he was on the ground a couple of years ago so that’s an added bonus 
  • NabySarr said:
    Sykes will go to the championship I think. But he would be perfect for us, used to playing as the outside CB in a back 3 and he’s massive. Also kicked Lyle Taylor when he was on the ground a couple of years ago so that’s an added bonus 
    Wasnt that Sam Finley?
  • Lockyer and Sarr both out of contract. Would both be brilliant signings for this level. I reckon both will get a championship deal but maybe Naby and JJ relationship could work in our favour as we really need a couple of left sided centre backs that are comfortable on the ball as Purrington/Famewo don’t quite cut it 
  • NabySarr said:
    Sykes will go to the championship I think. But he would be perfect for us, used to playing as the outside CB in a back 3 and he’s massive. Also kicked Lyle Taylor when he was on the ground a couple of years ago so that’s an added bonus 
    Wasnt that Sam Finley?
    Yes Finley got done for it and got him in the head. But I seem to remember Sykes was very lucky to not get done for it as well 
  • Scully, McCormick, Sykes… There’s three to get started. You are welcome black box team. ;-)

Are these players we're actually being linked with/rumoured to sign, or just 3 players you'd like us to sign?
  • Scully, McCormick, Sykes… There’s three to get started. You are welcome black box team. ;-)

Are these players we're actually being linked with/rumoured to sign, or just 3 players you'd like us to sign?
    Just throwing names in to get a discussion going. We’ve got months to go… might as well make a start. :-)
  • NabySarr said:
    Lockyer and Sarr both out of contract. Would both be brilliant signings for this level. I reckon both will get a championship deal but maybe Naby and JJ relationship could work in our favour as we really need a couple of left sided centre backs that are comfortable on the ball as Purrington/Famewo don’t quite cut it 
    Not a chance are we going to be signing Naby - we can't afford the wages for a starters. And he wouldn't drop in to league one.. My betting he'll end up overseas somewhere!
  • NabySarr said:
    Lockyer and Sarr both out of contract. Would both be brilliant signings for this level. I reckon both will get a championship deal but maybe Naby and JJ relationship could work in our favour as we really need a couple of left sided centre backs that are comfortable on the ball as Purrington/Famewo don’t quite cut it 
    What, like Leko & Lee were supposed to be, "going to rip League 1 a new one", "like having a cheat card with those two" & "far too good for league one"

Lol
  • NabySarr said:
    But both not good enough for the championship. TS has said we are building for the long term, bringing back bang average players to the club won't help. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Why would either drop down to League 1?
  • J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    But both not good enough for the championship. TS has said we are building for the long term, bringing back bang average players to the club won't help. 
    No but I would rather have them two than Gunter and Famewo.
  • NabySarr said:
    What, like Leko & Lee were supposed to be, "going to rip League 1 a new one", "like having a cheat card with those two" & "far too good for league one"

Lol
    Don’t think anyone said that about Lee. He has always been a good league 1 player(until we signed him), never done anything in the championship. 

Leko I think the big injury he got when he last played for us must have had a long term effect on him. But I still think when played on the wing he would be very good at this level, I think he was our best player under Adkins (2 goals, 2 assists in 8 games and some of them he didn’t start) and if we’d carried on playing 4-3-3 he would have been one of our best players this season. Playing up front and at wing back he’s been rubbish but I think next season he will go somewhere, play on the wing and do well again. 

Naby and Lockyer have both played around 80 championship games over the past 3 years, they would be massively useful in league 1 next season and probably still have use for the first year in the championship if we did go up 
  • Sarr's salary demands will too high, Lockyer was a great player for us, but would worry about his recent injuries...
  • edited April 2022
    Redhenry said:
    Saying they would be better than Gunter and Famewo doesn't make them the right players for us...
    No of course it doesn't but the other reasons don't make them the wrong players for us either.  No chance of Lockyer though so it doesn't matter either way. 

I am not sure Sarr's wages will be that high, he would have resigned for us if we weren't under an embargo and I doubt we were paying more then? 
  • big gap between salaries in champ and league one for starters... Think we should be able to find better at half the cost IMHO
  • Back to my regular fret regarding introducing our youngsters, with particular reference to notion of bringing in eye catching more ‘experienced’ players we have got to know around the leagues.
    The argument is about risk and exposing or undermining confidence of our own.
    I get that is a perspective, but then again Tottenham Hotspur  get us to take their risk for them when we got John. We have done it with Henry at Wealdstone.
    Speaking personally I would much rather play an iffy Albie Morgan than an iffy Ben Watson. There is a huge upside in developing and playing our guys. Has Gilbey been that much of an upgrade on what we already have in house.