Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Not a rumour, but Greg Leigh has impressed me in our two matches against Morecambe.
    He was their MOTM in the away game earlier in the season.

He normally plays left back but today I noted he mainly played as the Right Centre Back in a three although he moved to the left in the closing stages. This showed his versatility.It was his assist which led to the first goal. 

Worth a punt?
    I thought he had a good game today. The problem is, if we sign everyone that plays well against us, we would have 200 players!!
    Indeed, we made Arthur Gnahoua look like a world class player today!
  • Options
    Wasn't Greg Leigh mentioned a couple of years back when he was playing in Holland for Breda or someone? 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wasn't Greg Leigh mentioned a couple of years back when he was playing in Holland for Breda or someone? 
    Our recruitment team would no doubt sign Leigh from Greggs instead.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Well remembered.

https://www.elfvoetbal.nl/Transfergeruchten/274947/Publiekslieveling-Greg-Leigh-kan-NAC-Breda-inruilen-voor-League-One
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Well remembered.

https://www.elfvoetbal.nl/Transfergeruchten/274947/Publiekslieveling-Greg-Leigh-kan-NAC-Breda-inruilen-voor-League-One

Knew the name sounded familiar! 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    One player I’d definitely go for, and I know others on here have shouted about him before, is Alfie May at Cheltenham. 21 league goals this season, the striker we need to compliment Stockley and Chuks next season. I rate Washington but he isn’t a natural goal scorer and is injury prone. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Not a rumour, but Greg Leigh has impressed me in our two matches against Morecambe.

He normally plays left back but today I noted he mainly played as the Right Centre Back in a three although he moved to the left in the closing stages. This showed his versatility.It was his assist which led to the first goal. 

Worth a punt?
    I thought he had a good game today. The problem is, if we sign everyone that plays well against us, we would have 200 players!!
    Fair enough. 

The reason I mentioned him because he plays in a position that we need to improve. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:

Worth a punt?
    Fair enough. 

The reason I mentioned him because he plays in a position that we need to improve. 
    I thought that he had a good game and is the type of athletic player we need in that position. 

The problem is, we can't judge players on their performance against us as we make average players look very good
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    One player I’d definitely go for, and I know others on here have shouted about him before, is Alfie May at Cheltenham. 21 league goals this season, the striker we need to compliment Stockley and Chuks next season. I rate Washington but he isn’t a natural goal scorer and is injury prone. 
    Local lad too.  From Horton Kirby
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    RedRobin said:
    Was he the guy that stole a toilet seat from b and q dartford, with Glenn Johnson
  • Options
    Ben May I reckon 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    My worry is that they’re going to try to overcompensate for what has been a poor season by all accounts.

As much as we need those two or three star players who will put us over the top, we also need half dozen Dobson/Lavelle types who may no come in with much fanfare but are key to building a longer term future for this club.
  • Options
    Would Alfie May be an upgrade on Washington? Is a local lad too. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    RedRobin said:
    Was he the guy that stole a toilet seat from b and q dartford, with Glenn Johnson
    That was Ben May, ex-Millwall and now (i think) a coach at Bromley.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Can we have full height disclosure for each rumour subject please.  
    As you desire…

Scully 5’8
    McCormick 5’9
    Sykes 6’5
    Millwall and Middlesbrough are linked with Sykes whilst we are looking at his grandad, Eric 
    I knew our lads would pull something out of the Hattie
  • Options
    Zac Robinson, I'd not heard of him.
    Looks like he has 1 league goal according to wiki.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Zac Robinson, I'd not heard of him.
    Looks like he has 1 league goal according to wiki.
    Against us the other week. 
    I should have guessed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Zac Robinson is a quarterback, 35 years old. I'm in the no camp! 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Would Alfie May be an upgrade on Washington? Is a local lad too. 
    Yes.

• Options
    Not at all convinced on Alfie May myself - more likely to be a one season wonder than Cole Stockton. He's been around this level for half a dozen seasons and is nearing 30.

Scored 20+ this year which is great but he previously had only 25 across six seasons combined in third and fourth tier football with Doncaster and Cheltenham. 

Take 2018/19. May is playing for Doncaster who finish sixth in League One - probably the best team he's ever been a part of? May scored 2 goals in 34 appearances that season.
    I suspect we have a better chance of signing May than Stockton due to geography, but Stockton I agree seems more likely to be the better player
  • Options
    Not at all convinced on Alfie May myself - more likely to be a one season wonder than Cole Stockton. He's been around this level for half a dozen seasons and is nearing 30.

Scored 20+ this year which is great but he previously had only 25 across six seasons combined in third and fourth tier football with Doncaster and Cheltenham. 

Take 2018/19. May is playing for Doncaster who finish sixth in League One - probably the best team he's ever been a part of? May scored 2 goals in 34 appearances that season.

As we look to build next season's squad, I feel far more comfortable with Washington who is guaranteed at least 10 a season compared to someone who could revert to type and score less than half a dozen.
    That's the problem with stats it doesn't tell you why he didn't score, and why now he is scoring.  Has he vastly improved as a player?  I doubt it.

How many goals would Washington have scored as a wide player in a 3, alone striker or a late sub (which is what he would have done if Adkins had stayed)?

Who was he playing with, what service was he getting, what role in the team was he playing.  Not all "strikers" have the same role in the game plan.

More to the point what is the game plan, what's the role and criteria for a player in that position, in our system?

Does May, Stockton or anyone else fit it better than anyone we have or else is a realistic target?  Or do you buy/get the best striker you can and work the rest out later?

Didn't work out last summer did it?   We have got to stop hammering square pegs into round holes and hoping for the best.  Jackson's a football manager not a magician. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Our one shining light recently.
    Cave in to this and they might have to whistle for my season ticket money
  • Options
    We’ve got an optional 1 year extension to take his deal to 2024, would make sense to activate that.
  • Options
    As has been mentioned on other threads this will show what the real ambitions of the club are. After the season they have both had I'm sure both CDT & Dobson will have championship interest. If they leave I think we will all have a better understanding