Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Mandela Effect - have you experienced it?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Andy Hughes played a big part on the pitch in our title winning season.

Not as much as you think. He made 5 starts and 10 sub appearances in the league.
    Didn’t convince any of our players to go to Leeds that season though.
  • Options
    Curious George didn't have a tail. I could of sworn he used to dangle from trees using it.
    I always thought one said “could have” but obviously I made that up. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    About 2 years ago I had the shock of my life discovering Rishi Sunak was short. Me and everyone I knew were under the impression he was easily 6ft+
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    follett said:
    About 2 years ago I had the shock of my life discovering Rishi Sunak was short. Me and everyone I knew were under the impression he was easily 6ft+
    How tall is he then? Looks around Tom Cruise height...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Not as much as you think. He made 5 starts and 10 sub appearances in the league.
    Another one I see related to that season - Powell got his signings in early.

In reality it really got moving late June and continued into early/mid July, and key players such as Hamer and Yann signed in August and September.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Curious George didn't have a tail. I could of sworn he used to dangle from trees using it.
    I always thought one said “could have” but obviously I made that up. 
    One is also a bit of a mug, isn't one....
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

In reality it really got moving late June and continued into early/mid July, and key players such as Hamer and Yann signed in August and September.
    But were largely identified a lot earlier and weren’t last minute panic signings on a freebie and short-term contract. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

But were largely identified a lot earlier and weren’t last minute panic signings on a freebie and short-term contract. 
    I doubt the problems have been with identifying players early enough - it’s not hard to pick out the better players in each division if you watch enough games. I’d say it’s more that we pick the wrong targets in terms of quality, our budget and how they form a team.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Vice and Miami?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options

I clearly remember my first Charlton match with my Dad. Or at least, I think I do.

It was a packed house at the valley for an FA Cup tie under floodlights (maybe a quarter final) versus West Ham. It was so cold my Dad's mate admitted he was wearing his wife's tights under his trousers to help stay warm. I clearly remember Bill rolling up his trouser leg to reveal the tan nylon. No one appeared to be shocked or though it funny or unusual. The crowds were huge and the turnstiles became overwhelmed.  The crowd surged and a crush started.  I can still smell the odour of hot dogs and fried onions and peering up past the pressed male bodies to see the stars twinkling above the Valley. 

As the crush grew bigger, the adults starting passing the young kids over their heads like sacks of flour. It was very calm and coordinated.  With many other young boys, I was lifted by complete strangers over the roof of the turnstiles and deposited gently on the ground inside the valley  where I waited for my Dad as excited fans filed past me.

He eventually appeared through the turnstiles - the old mechanical rotating clanky gates with horizontal metal arms which you feared might not fully open and trap you inside.  He casually grabbed my hand without comment and we headed off to watch the match. I felt no anxiety at all. 

I don’t remember the score but only the bitter (and now all too familiar) feeling of disappointment as Charlton were defeated after a spirited performance against a local rival from the league above.

The weird thing is, I once tried to Google the fixture to work out when exactly it was and the final score. I could find no trace of an FA Cup tie between Charlton and West Ham in the early 1970s.

Or of Nelson Mandela ever playing right-back for Charlton Athletic.

• Options

I clearly remember my first Charlton match with my Dad. Or at least, I think I do.

It was a packed house at the valley for an FA Cup tie under floodlights (maybe a quarter final) versus West Ham. It was so cold my Dad's mate admitted he was wearing his wife's tights under his trousers to help stay warm. I clearly remember Bill rolling up his trouser leg to reveal the tan nylon. No one appeared to be shocked or though it funny or unusual. The crowds were huge and the turnstiles became overwhelmed.  The crowd surged and a crush started.  I can still smell the odour of hot dogs and fried onions and peering up past the pressed male bodies to see the stars twinkling above the Valley. 

As the crush grew bigger, the adults starting passing the young kids over their heads like sacks of flour. It was very calm and coordinated.  With many other young boys, I was lifted by complete strangers over the roof of the turnstiles and deposited gently on the ground inside the valley  where I waited for my Dad as excited fans filed past me.

He eventually appeared through the turnstiles - the old mechanical rotating clanky gates with horizontal metal arms which you feared might not fully open and trap you inside.  He casually grabbed my hand without comment and we headed off to watch the match. I felt no anxiety at all. 

I don’t remember the score but only the bitter (and now all too familiar) feeling of disappointment as Charlton were defeated after a spirited performance against a local rival from the league above.

The weird thing is, I once tried to Google the fixture to work out when exactly it was and the final score. I could find no trace of an FA Cup tie between Charlton and West Ham in the early 1970s.

Are you sure it wasn't the league cup game v West Ham in 1976? That was under lights, big crowd, but it was in September, I don't remember it being particularly cold. Having said that, they weren't passing kids over peoples heads by then, although the odd person would get thrown on the pitch when it got a bit heated in the covered end.
  • Options
    Not sure you could pass kids over your head nowadays with the size of them. 
  • Options

Are you sure it wasn't the league cup game v West Ham in 1976? That was under lights, big crowd, but it was in September, I don't remember it being particularly cold. Having said that, they weren't passing kids over peoples heads by then, although the odd person would get thrown on the pitch when it got a bit heated in the covered end.
    21 September 1976.  It was 19.0C at kick off, falling to 17.0C by the end of the game.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:

21 September 1976.  It was 19.0C at kick off, falling to 17.0C by the end of the game.  
    You have an amazing memory.