Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Mandela Effect - have you experienced it?

Comments

• Elvis did not die on the toilet 
  • DA9 said:
    Elvis did not die on the toilet 
    He did, didn't he?  Wasn't found on the toilet as he then fell forwards but I thought he died on the toilet?
  • Someone recently said to me that they liked to say yes, and I replied. 'oh like the man from Oloroso?'  (Blank look)  I said, 'you know, The man from Oloroso - he likes to say yes'. (Still nothing).

I get home and google it and it turns out that that man was from Del Monte.  So who is this man from Oloroso?  Does he exist, what is he doing with my mind?  I don't like it  :/     
  • I have a distinct memory of my Mum chopping the top of my ear off while cutting my hair in the garden as a toddler after me resisting my hair being cut.

I can remember all the details of the event clear as day, yet it never happened. Or so she says!
    Pardon?
  • DA9 said:
    He did, didn't he?  Wasn't found on the toilet as he then fell forwards but I thought he died on the toilet?
    No, he was a ferocious reader, and essentially lived a nocturnal life in the last years, when he couldn’t sleep during the day (as in the day he died 16/8/77) he told his then girlfriend ginger alden he was going into his bathroom where he had a reading chair, her last words to him were “don’t fall asleep in there”
    She woke later in the afternoon and went to the bathroom to find him slumped forward from the chair facedown in the very 70’s deep shag pile carpet in his pyjamas and dressing gown 
  • I was absolutely convinced that Noel Hunt played for us, only realised I was being idiot a couple of weeks ago
  • Someone recently said to me that they liked to say yes, and I replied. 'oh like the man from Oloroso?'  (Blank look)  I said, 'you know, The man from Oloroso - he likes to say yes'. (Still nothing).

I get home and google it and it turns out that that man was from Del Monte.  So who is this man from Oloroso?  Does he exist, what is he doing with my mind?  I don't like it  :/     
    That sounds like Orson Wells in the advert for Port I think it was. He didn't call himself the man from Oloroso, but used to say the stuff was available as, I suppose, bog standard and Oloroso. This he stated with such solemnity it used hit my funny bone every time. 
  • I have a distinct memory of my Mum chopping the top of my ear off while cutting my hair in the garden as a toddler after me resisting my hair being cut.

I can remember all the details of the event clear as day, yet it never happened. Or so she says!
    Did she tell you it never happened or did she have to write it down for you? That’d be a big clue….
  • I'm absolutely convinced I watched the playoff final live, but I didn't. My dad was playing cricket that day and the clubhouse didn't have a TV in it, and obviously it was before the internet and streaming TV online, so we listened to it on the radio instead 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    This is really distasteful, but I swear that when I was a kid, there used to be a WWF wrestler who was named after a heinous sexual act. He wore a Zorro-style mask and came to the ring carrying rope. He used to tie his opponents to the turnbuckle. 

No amount of googling has ever proved this true. I think this must be either the Mandela Effect, or the WWF (now WWE) have effectively scrubbed his existence from the planet. 
    Repo man. Not sure where the sex act comes from? Although he does look very suspect in the still below.  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2l5fW4evUU

Some misquoted films here.

Try and hum the Blue Peter theme than listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmvqA-snhvk
  • I remember attending the Charlton 7 Huddersfield 6 match.
    It happened 13 years before I was born and I actually attended a 2-0 home defeat against Cardiff some 20 years after the Huddersfield game.
    I’m sure thousands of others have similar recollections.
    I was born 10 and a bit years before the match. I pleaded with my dads cousin to take me, but instead he took me to watch his team, Crystal Palace.
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    No, he was a ferocious reader, and essentially lived a nocturnal life in the last years, when he couldn’t sleep during the day (as in the day he died 16/8/77) he told his then girlfriend ginger alden he was going into his bathroom where he had a reading chair, her last words to him were “don’t fall asleep in there”
    She woke later in the afternoon and went to the bathroom to find him slumped forward from the chair facedown in the very 70’s deep shag pile carpet in his pyjamas and dressing gown 
    Ah ok!  Never knew that!
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    On a pile of cheeseburgers?
  • Like a lot of people I'm sure I remember the Bond villain Jaws meeting a girl at the end of Moonraker who also had braces in her teeth. But this seems to have been erased from history and in all versions now she no longer has braces and there's no reference to this ever happening. But surely that was the whole point of the scene?
  • Curious George didn't have a tail. I could of sworn he used to dangle from trees using it.

Black tip at the end of Pikachu's tail
  • YTS1978 said:
    Up until very recently I thought Green and black olives were different types. Then I discovered its just how ripe they are! That blew my mind! I also only realised a couple of years ago that prawns are grey, not pink! I'm nearly 44yrs old and am clearly an idiot.
    I had no idea!!  Thought it was like red and green grapes!!
  • Sponsored links:

• I couple of years back I had been out all day drinking for a friend's 40th. Another friend, let's call him Sparks, gets a bit funny after a few beers. I didn't know this. So when I was teasing him I didn't realise Sparks was about to snap. When he did snap he shoved me around a lot and threatened to beat me up, only for another mate to drag him away and take him home. 

I found out a few days later that it wasn't me that Sparks shoved. It was my Sweet (real name). He did give me a lot of shit, but it was Sweet that got the physical stuff. Yet I distinctly remember being shoved backwards and bumping into someone. But all those there assure me it was Sweet that experienced that. I 100% believe them but it's not how my mind's eye pictures the event. So I accept that we really can't trust our memories! 
  • Chizz said:
     are there any examples of Mandela Effect you've experienced?  
    Yes, I experienced the Mandela effect many years ago. I have a very clear memory of .. oh. Wait...
  • YTS1978 said:
    Up until very recently I thought Green and black olives were different types. Then I discovered its just how ripe they are! That blew my mind! I also only realised a couple of years ago that prawns are grey, not pink! I'm nearly 44yrs old and am clearly an idiot.
    LOL for the prawns, rather than the olives which I never knew either!

That sounds like Orson Wells in the advert for Port I think it was. He didn't call himself the man from Oloroso, but used to say the stuff was available as, I suppose, bog standard and Oloroso. This he stated with such solemnity it used hit my funny bone every time. 
    Ah, thanks Big William, that'll be it then. 
  • Watched a crime documentary a while back about how accurate the use of line ups are. Pretty sure one of the experts on there said something like 80% of our memories are fabricated one way or other.

I've got one particular friend who, as soon as he starts reminiscing, I roll my eyes because virtually everything he recounts is completely different to how I remember it. I usually just let it go, even when he pulls me up on something that I come out with, even though I'm 99% sure it happened. He probably thinks that same about me
  • Saw a really interesting "Explained" which is a great series of short videos on various things, and the memories one was amazing. 

People had some recollections of 9/11 that quite simply couldn't be true. For example one person who was a child at the time said they remembered the smoke from the buildings coming across the skyline and water, towards them, but when recounting it to family, they lived in a different state and that was fundamentally impossible. 

The worrying thing with memories etc is that you can, in all good conscience, mislead people. 
  • DA9 said:
    Random fact: My Aunt Flossie died on the toilet
  • edited April 2022
    _MrDick said:
    DA9 said:
    Random fact: My Aunt Flossie died on the toilet
    As did my uncle Dave. It was the only time I recall him visiting our house. As he went into the loo I was leaving for school, I said cheerio and he said "Goodbye boy" and they were the last words he ever said.  
  • I was always convinced that the song Loco in Acapulco from the film Buster came out in 1987 as I distinctly remember a colleague at the time singing it at work after going to see the film. I now know it didnt chart until late 1988, 9 months after I had left the Company we both worked at. I was mind blown when I recently googled the release date of both film & song. 

I now cant trust my memory.