Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Mandela Effect - have you experienced it?

Comments

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Up until very recently I thought Green and black olives were different types. Then I discovered its just how ripe they are! That blew my mind! I also only realised a couple of years ago that prawns are grey, not pink! I'm nearly 44yrs old and am clearly an idiot.
    LOL for the prawns, rather than the olives which I never knew either!
    I honestly was watching Rick Stein or something and was like "what the fuck are those things?". I obviously only shop for seafood in the frozen aisle haha!
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Up until very recently I thought Green and black olives were different types. Then I discovered its just how ripe they are! That blew my mind! I also only realised a couple of years ago that prawns are grey, not pink! I'm nearly 44yrs old and am clearly an idiot.
    I had no idea!!  Thought it was like red and green grapes!!
    Until recently I thought red/green/yellow peppers were all different until I read that they are just at different stages of ripeness.
  • Options
    when you remember something, you are actually remembering the last time you remembered it, and not the original occasion  - apart from the first er remembrance

• Options
    I dont really get what is meant to happen with the Blue peter theme tune one
    presume that is one of the later theme tunes
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Most people remember the Blue Peter theme as 'Sailor's Hornpipe', but it's actually 'Barnacle Bill' 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Some years ago I mentioned on here that I had told numerous people, with absolute authority, that American president, Harry S Truman, had presented us with the FA cup when we won it in '47. 
    Fortunately, I now know that it was, in fact, Richard Nixon.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Just found out Sebastian in The Little Mermaid is a crab, not a lobster.

I’ve don’t know what’s real anymore.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Most people remember the Blue Peter theme as 'Sailor's Hornpipe', but it's actually 'Barnacle Bill' 
    Anyone remember Master Bates and Roger the Cabin Boy? You don't really, it was Master Mate and Tom the Cabin Boy.
  • Options
    I had this memory that Macaulay Bonne was a footballer, yet when he returned to us in January it became apparent that he wasn’t.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Up until very recently I thought Green and black olives were different types. Then I discovered it's just how ripe they are! That blew my mind! I also only realised a couple of years ago that prawns are grey, not pink! I'm nearly 44yrs old and am clearly an idiot.
    WHAT!!!!! You have blown my mind. Olives are the same!!!!!! Can't wait to tell my wife who only eats green ones.

prawns look pink to me when they are on my plate 

we need to meet for a beer so you can life coach me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Saw a really interesting "Explained" which is a great series of short videos on various things, and the memories one was amazing. 

People had some recollections of 9/11 that quite simply couldn't be true. For example one person who was a child at the time said they remembered the smoke from the buildings coming across the skyline and water, towards them, but when recounting it to family, they lived in a different state and that was fundamentally impossible. 

The worrying thing with memories etc is that you can, in all good conscience, mislead people. 
    Such a thing as community trauma. A loss of lives as significant as that is going to have that effect. 
  • Options
    I've got a really strong memory of seeing a film with a robot and some humans stranded on a planet, at a cinema in Woolwich. I would have been 5 or 6, so 1970-71. The robot ended up dying (I know robots can't die but my 5 year old self didn't) and there were some blue crystals that exploded. I've never been able to work out what this film was. And I have looked - which makes me think I've misremembered loads of details.

• Options
    It has happened a few times where I have heard somebody famous has died and I was sure they were already dead.
  • Options
    An Addick I know is adamant that the 3-2 at Carlisle in1986 was on match of the day - he reckons he made it back to Charlton and got in the pub just as it was coming on. Now, I can't say I saw MOTD that night as I'm pretty certain me and my lot we're heading for a curry at the time, but I've never seen any footage of that game anywhere. I spoke to him recently and he still insists it was on, maybe it's like that film Yesterday when a solar storm obliterated all trace of The Beatles. Actually, looking at the last few years at The Valley, a solar storm could be just what we need.
  • Options
    Just found out Sebastian in The Little Mermaid is a crab, not a lobster.

I’ve don’t know what’s real anymore.
    Wait really?!?!?! This has fucked me up all kinds.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Saw a really interesting "Explained" which is a great series of short videos on various things, and the memories one was amazing. 

People had some recollections of 9/11 that quite simply couldn't be true. For example one person who was a child at the time said they remembered the smoke from the buildings coming across the skyline and water, towards them, but when recounting it to family, they lived in a different state and that was fundamentally impossible. 

The worrying thing with memories etc is that you can, in all good conscience, mislead people. 
    As others have commented, this can happen with community traumas. 

But I think this might also be an interesting case of how TV impacts community traumas. This is not a "TV brainwashes you thing" as much as it is a TV can dictate how you remember things. And with 9/11, you have my generation's foundational moment where it was everywhere on TV in a way that a national trauma never had been before. For a couple of generations' before mine, you could make the case for the Kennedy Assassination, and more specifically, Oswald being shot on live TV, but TVs weren't as prevalent, and news cycles and news channels not as perpetual, as 9/11 was. 

I also suspect there's something in there as well about how, in the aftermath of 9/11, there was a prevailing feeling that "this could happen anywhere." That wasn't true, of course, but it was both how people internalized something they'd never seen before, as well as something that was used for political gain for years afterward. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Humidity affects swing bowling (it doesn’t). 
  • Options
    It has happened a few times where I have heard somebody famous has died and I was sure they were already dead.
    I have this happen probably once a year regarding our promotion chances 
  • Options
    Tina Turner the other day, thought she died a few years back.

Think I might have been thinking of Aretha Frankin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Respect
  • Options

For about 20+ years I thought Carol King was dead, until I heard her being interviewed live on radio. I was dumbfounded. I’m actually a big fan of her music as well. Tapestry is one of my favourite albums. God know why I thought she was dead. 
  • Options

Chizz said:

Respect
    Little know fact, that was actually a cover. Was written and originally recorded by Otis Redding 
  • Options
    isn't it just the way the human brain works? Assuming things and the brain filling in the gaps of little pieces of information that aren't really THAT important? It's never anything HUGE like world war 2 or Brexit is it? It's always the name of a food brand or what someone said in a film. 

• Options
    I’d say Nelson Mandela dying 30 years before he actually did is pretty big.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    JaShea99 said:
    I’d say Nelson Mandela dying 30 years before he actually did is pretty big.
    if you live in south africa yeah maybe... for the average british/american person in the 2000's/millenials? (where this phenomenon seems to have originated) is it really? 

• Options
    Being sure something happened that didn't, isn't that just being wrong about something?

I'm not sure i belive in the concept.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    PopIcon said:
    Being sure something happened that didn't, isn't that just being wrong about something?

I'm not sure i belive in the concept.
    Exactly. 

You can physically SEE something happen and mis-remember/re-imagine it as little as a few hours later. 

I guess it is easier for some to believe that they have fallen into an alternate pocket reality than accept they may be remembering things they don't really care that much about wrongly..
  • Options
    Andy Hughes played a big part on the pitch in our title winning season.

Not as much as you think. He made 5 starts and 10 sub appearances in the league.