Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

P&O sack/make redundant 800 staff on the spot

Comments

• Options
    Apparently their replacements are on £1.80 an hour.
    Saw this, who on Earth could work for £1.80 an hour?!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Which is why its likely a newspaper / TV headline and not the right figure. Wherever the 'cheap labour' live in Europe that sum of money surely doesn't work and cannot be better than another poor paid job or even benefits.

Of course P&O will be paying a lot less than now  and exploiting the (new) labour force but that figure (in isolation) must surely be wrong or taken out of context in some regard. Otherwise who is going to take that role up.
  • Options
    Bloody foreigners. Coming over here and taking 'our' jobs.

Shakes fist.
  • Options
    It's awful for those involved and on reflection I'm probably (as like most) part of the problem.

I frequently traveled (12 years) pre pandemic with P&O, they I have found to be the cheapest for calais dover route with a return in the car for the weekend around £80.00. Compare this to Eurotunnel £172 for go Saturday come back Sunday it was no brainer. As far as i can remember the ferry cost has been similar.

The question being is our constant desire for the cheapest option at the expense of these P&O workers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My eldest brother was 2nd Engineer on the Chusan and the Himmalya, the £10 POM boats. He was P&O through and through, even risked his life fighting the fire on the Canberra in the 60s. He died a few years ago.... HE TONIGHT IS SPINNING IN HIS GRAVE..., PENINSULA AND ORIENTAL STEAM COMPANY, was everything to him. Sad so sad.

Small world, @usetobunkin . My old fella was a refrigeration engineer on the Chusan in the mid 50s. Best time of his life by far.

• Options
    It's awful for those involved and on reflection I'm probably (as like most) part of the problem.

I frequently traveled (12 years) pre pandemic with P&O, they I have found to be the cheapest for calais dover route with a return in the car for the weekend around £80.00. Compare this to Eurotunnel £172 for go Saturday come back Sunday it was no brainer. As far as i can remember the ferry cost has been similar.

The question being is our constant desire for the cheapest option at the expense of these P&O workers?
    In part, almost certainly. But that's what we are like. I try hard to buy UK-made products, clothing etc but it is hard. Everything is made in China because as a nation we demand cheap tack. It has taken a large chunk out of our industrial base. I did manage to buy some made in Sheffield (Whiteleys) scissors last year. They cost £45 but are handmade, are superb and should last forever. I'm pretty sure most of the scissors on Amazon for about a tenner would have been next to useless after the first cut.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Amazing how people’s loyalties are so entrenched that they can’t even call this out as a bad thing. Sad really. 
    I think the people with entrenched loyalties might be the same dozen or so who manage to turn literally any issue happening in the UK into a Brexit/Tory issue. It's boring.

Haven't seen anyone saying this isn't a bad thing by the way, but feel free to quote the posts that do :-)
    Well said, they have their own section to bore the pants of each other and come out with a load of old crap, but hey ho self indulgence must be spread elsewhere.
    It’s a shame you guys don’t read others’ posts before posting. A reasonable debate, with reasonable people, and you come up with something like that. 
    Or are you just on the wind up? 
    No wind up, nearly every thread gets turned into Brexit or Tory bashing  by the same people. Like little JOBs who just talk shite as their sore losers who make up stories to pretend their angry. Makes them get through the day i guess.

And I do read other posts, but only those that talk sense and dont have a political angle. I skip through the usual suspects and ignore them unless it's their comical rantings on the Brexit thread.

But the sensible ones are getting few and far between as I know they get bored of it also.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Amazing how people’s loyalties are so entrenched that they can’t even call this out as a bad thing. Sad really. 
    I think the people with entrenched loyalties might be the same dozen or so who manage to turn literally any issue happening in the UK into a Brexit/Tory issue. It's boring.

Haven't seen anyone saying this isn't a bad thing by the way, but feel free to quote the posts that do :-)
    Well said, they have their own section to bore the pants of each other and come out with a load of old crap, but hey ho self indulgence must be spread elsewhere.
    It’s a shame you guys don’t read others’ posts before posting. A reasonable debate, with reasonable people, and you come up with something like that. 
    Or are you just on the wind up? 
    No wind up  nearly every post gets turned into Brexit or Tory bashing  by the same people. Like little JOBs who just talk shite as their sore losers who make up stories to pretend their angry. Makes them get through the day i guess.

And I do read other posts, but only those that talk sense and dont have a political angle. I skip through the usual suspects and ignore them unless it's their comical rantings on the Brexit thread.

But the sensible ones are getting few and far between as I know they get bored of it also.
    Funny, because it's usually 'well you think this is bad, imagine if comrade corbyn got it'

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    I find this hard to believe, unless the workers are Indian children under 5 who have given up collecting plastic to sell for a life on the high seas.
  • Options
    Hope travel expenses are covered, that's a long commute !. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to work with Joel and he’s very thorough. 
  • Options
    They pay the same wages on cruises, with main difference being that punters are paying 2grand a week... rather than £50. 

• Options
    Having spent my entire career either working on ships or ashore for shipping companies I can assure you that Joel is mostly correct. These low wages are acceptable for a number of 3rd world countries. The shipping industry is a worldwide industry and the employment contracts are dependent on where the ship is registered and is the reason that the British merchant navy is now almost non existent. P&O does not have to abide by ITF/ILO wage scales and could pay less if their ships stayed away from Western Europe and Australia where the local unions will boycott the ships. It is a cut throat business and remember that 90% of trade comes to this country by ship and no-one gives a damn about the crew conditions, I could go on but I won't.
    Surely there is a but here. 

I mean the salary / hourly rate may be awful but must be offset in some other way - accommodation / food / drink etc. 

not for one moment condoning the figure but presume it’s worth more than the headline suggests.  What I can’t see is how that works at all for UK or Europe based contract staff. 

It remains an appalling figure but I struggle to see it’s the real or entire figure if they hope to have any staff at all. 

Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Serious question. Why has P&O not fired any of its French staff?
  • Options
    Perhaps there are no french staff on the ships. Back in the day Sea France went out of business  because their 'experience ' was rubbish compared to P and O. French government got fed up subsidising them
  • Options
    Some workers accepting £1.80 an hour could be true. I spent the last 15 years of my working life in the care industry. When I became shift or team leader I had a hard time getting some of the staff to take the supported people out. Many of the excuses were that the client didn't want to go out or they preferred to watch television. I even caught some members of staff asleep on sofas or on supported people's beds. It seems these staff had another job or even 2 jobs. The job with my company was taken 'cos they could catch up on sleep and get paid. Hope these new crews don't try that trick on the ferries. But that is how they could accept the low wage.
  • Options
    Having spent my entire career either working on ships or ashore for shipping companies I can assure you that Joel is mostly correct. These low wages are acceptable for a number of 3rd world countries. The shipping industry is a worldwide industry and the employment contracts are dependent on where the ship is registered and is the reason that the British merchant navy is now almost non existent. P&O does not have to abide by ITF/ILO wage scales and could pay less if their ships stayed away from Western Europe and Australia where the local unions will boycott the ships. It is a cut throat business and remember that 90% of trade comes to this country by ship and no-one gives a damn about the crew conditions, I could go on but I won't.

I mean the salary / hourly rate may be awful but must be offset in some other way - accommodation / food / drink etc. 

not for one moment condoning the figure but presume it’s worth more than the headline suggests.  What I can’t see is how that works at all for UK or Europe based contract staff. 

It remains an appalling figure but I struggle to see it’s the real or entire figure if they hope to have any staff at all. 

I think your scepticism is more to do with wishful thinking than it not being a realistic scenario. It was reported at the weekend that such wages were regularly accepted by international staff of cruise ships. They took the jobs in hope of a) getting a bigger name on their cv and perhaps some technical training, thereby hoping to command higher wages in their own countries at a later date and b) supplementing their wages through tips. It would seem as though it would be tougher to earn tips on a ferry than on a cruise liner, so it'd not going to be easy.

It's also worth remembering that P&O is owned by the Dubai Royal Family. That's the same Dubai that was largely built using cheap Indian labour that was largely considered as dispensable. There's something else that ought to be boycotted.  
  • Options

most contracts include travel; from the home country to the ship and back home. Contracts can be anything between 6-12 months food and accommodation is included as are working clothing. Often there is also overtime payments and also they will earn paid leave (holiday).