Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Accrington Stanley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th March 2022 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Accrington Stanley vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 12th March 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Simon Mather

Introduction
Okay, okay... It was far perfect last Saturday against Sunderland, am sure many of us are still scratching our heads as to how the top scorer in the entire League missed, what was it; Three / Four attempts against a defence which still wilts whenever the referee signals for a set piece against us - We're out the other side of a tough run now, and we head to Accrington this Saturday with a gap of eight points between us and the drop zone. Tuesday night we were praying for Morecambe / Fleetwood defeats, our season summed up in one moment.

Jayden Stockley put it perfectly on Saturday... Its time to stand up and be counted!!

The Opposition
Name: Accrington Stanley (12th) | Manager: John Coleman
Ground: Crown Ground
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 2-3 Accrington Stanley

"Horrible, disgusting and like a Non-League team" were the words used by Sam Morsy when Ipswich travelled to Accrington earlier in the season - A player more used to playing at historic Championship grounds, and alongside Mohammed Salah for Egypt, than playing the likes of Accrington

He might be right by what he says, but Accrington must be doing something right... After all they're into their fourth season at this level, having won promotion in 2017/18 - In all those years they've never even looked like relegation candidates, they're a team that have constantly achieved mid-table. In short they've found a method of competing with some big teams at this level, it works, so deserve a lot of respect for that fact.

After all, in the three years that these two sides have faced off against each other, I cant think of a fixture that I had more than any other - Its not just that its going to be a scrappy game of Football, our 1-1 draw at the end of last season (another nail in our Play-Off hopes) had to be one of the worst games I've ever seen in recent years. But the fact that in the three years we've played them, we've only won on the one occasion; thanks to THAT last minute penalty from Karlan Grant in 2018.

Accrington themselves go into this fixture in a comfortable 12th place... I wouldn't be surprised if John Coleman is already having one eye on next season, hunting for the next Dion Charles or Colbey Bishop. The former might not be around anymore, but with both brought in from Non-League, its no surprise that their players come in with the thirst and desire to prove themselves.

Charlton Team News
Dont think there were many Charlton fans who didnt breathe a sigh of relief when they saw not just Jayden Stockley but Scott Fraser in the starting eleven on Saturday - Whilst neither were quite able to impose themselves against Sunderland (surely down to a lack of match fitness), they were important figures, especially Stockley in both boxes.

With a week to recuperate, we'll hopefully see both back in the starting line up once again, earning more minutes - Elsewhere and we wait to see on the fitness of Conor Washington, who is once again expected to be absent from the squad, Corey Blackett-Taylor on the other hand could return to the team having returned to full training, the speedy winger was finally found after having been misplaced in the wrong cupboard - Of course there will be one player available again: Sean Clare is back from suspension, and will surely compete with Chris Gunter for that last slot at Centre-Back.

MacGillivray
Lavelle - Pearce - Clare
Jaiyesimi - Dobson - Purrington
Lee - Fraser
Stockley - Leko

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Famewo - Gunter - Gilbey - Morgan - Burstow - John

Prediction
I wouldn't be surprised after two / three games into our recent poor run, if people looked at this particular fixture as the end of our woes against opponents in League One, and saw it as an expectation to start winning again. I on the other hand advise caution; Accrington have always been a thorn in our side, and I once again see an ugly game played out in Lancashire... If we stick to our plan, and dont get into a scrap, we could well win.

Equally I fully expect to see another share of the spoils come 6pm on Saturday.

Comments

• Great preview.

We’re going to win this one, 2-0 to Charlton.
  • Leko???? - YMBJ

but still a good preview
  • Are tickets available on the day?

I might fancy a day out at this one.... ;-)

I think Gunter will hold his place on the left instead of Clare (who is right sided only!), especially after the clean sheet draw. Burstow to start again instead of Leko. 

• edited March 2022
    Good preview as usual, now we have got to get it right sometime, and i feel that Saturday is that time, and we will triumph with 3 points, not too concerned at the score, and who gets the winner, just as long as someone does.
    We can't let them do the double over us ffs... B)
  • A horrible team that play all the dirty tricks in the book. Main tactic is a long ball up to their lone striker and they have a couple of players hoping to pick up the loose ball. Formation seems to be decided by a toss of a coin. They also have a decent GK who comes for crosses.

Big Mac
    Lavelle  Pearce. Gunter. 
    Jay  Clair. Dobson. Purrington
               Fraser.   Lee
                     Stockley

Clair and Dobson helping to pick up the two behind the striker. Clair in midfield should also help Jay to get forward. None of these players are going to be physically intimidated.

Really hoping Washington is fit for the bench.
  • AS are higher up the table than us due to v strong home form. Roughly 75% games at home won. And some major scalps in that .... Rotherham and Oxford MK Dons(drawn). Last year I regretted that we didn't get the ball down and play. This year happy for ball to be in orbit for 90mins and we may  (only may) get a draw. ) 0-0 at best.
  • edited March 2022
    Good preview. 

My prediction is we will play 3.5.2.

We will concede from a set piece and via a ball played in behind our right back..

Our wing backs will fail to cross the half way line.

We will offer zero in attack.

We will lose. 

Just call it a weird premonition.  

• Leko? No thanks! I think even an off-form Burstow is a better option. Really hoping that Washington may be fit. With Stockley and Washington up front we will win. Even without Washington I can see us avoiding defeat again.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2022
    I would stick with Burstow up front with Stockley as Burstow, despite his inexperience, is more likely to score than Leko. Hopefully Stockley and Burstow have been working together in training and can form a partnership, at least until Washington is back. Leko is better as an impact sub.
  • 0-4 Charlton
  • Good preview. 

My prediction is we will play 3.5.2.

We will concede from a set piece and a ball played in behind our right back..

Our wing backs will fail to cross the half way line.

We will offer zero in attack.

We will lose. 

Just call it a weird premonition.  

How can you call it a premonition, when we have played like this for many games  :)
  • edited March 2022
    Lose 2-1, they're a bit of a challenge of late. 

I'd go a bit different to what you've suggested:

MacGillivray - made some good saves so remains.

Clare - is back available so comes straight in at RCB.

Lavelle - needs to be made the anchor. Not quick enough at RCB.

Famewo - or Pearce at LCB is a tough choice and sadly not a good way. Looking at their attributes,  Pearce defends better, Famewo is quicker... I think Accrington would get Pearce sent off so Akin comes back for me. 

Dobson - King Dobbo stays, only consistent performer if he could add goals to his game, he could develop to be the perfect Jackson apprentice. 

Jaiyesimi - We have no other right mid options other than pushing CM's out wide or playing Matthews/Gunter there. 

Lee - Does more than Gilbey and can be replaced by Morgan. Morgan hasn't fallen behind him, but Lee has upped his workrate and improved dead balls lately. 

Fraser - Our best midfield option. Praying he has not been Charltonised just yet. 

Castillo - re-igniting the lopsided 3-5-2 with a more defensive side makes it easier for the defence to become a 4 when the opposition are in possession. 

Stockley - Will likely break down again, but needs must. 

Leko - Last chance saloon if he can't do a job alongside Stockley he may as well return to his club. 

Bench:
    Harness, Gunter, Pearce, John, Morgan, Campbell, Kanu
  • I wouldn't let Leko run the line. Awful player when you're in the situation we are in.
    Thought he looked ok when he came on v. Sunderland. Useful impact sub, as @Southbank said.
  • It will definitely be 3-5-2. As others have said, Burstow up front with Stockley. Will Burstow score again for us this season?
  • This will be a real test of our bottle and resolve .. Accrington will be a serious test, their home form is decent and they are always up for a bit of argy bargy (thanks Bill McLaren) .. I'll be happy with a point, though we are well overdue a win .. even 8 points clear of the drop zone, we are in bad form and are as yet far from safe

Accrington Stanley 1 v CAFC 1
  • edited March 2022
    Our results at home against these lot have been shocking. 1-0 win in 2019 followed by 0-2 & 2-3 losses in 2021.

But we do like a 1-1 draw at their place. Lavelle this time from a set piece.
  • I also fancy the draw 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice review as always. Another draw at best I feel. I was hoping that Washington would be back but in his continued absence I would rather Leko or even Kanu given a chance as opposed to young Burstow. Kanu has nothing to lose and while he may be out of his depth, I think the experience will be good. 1-1 and we score a goal!
  • outmuscled and outfought will lose 1-2
  • A keeper

Clare, Pearce, Famewo/ Lavelle

DJ, Morgan, Dobson, Fraser, ?

Stockley, ?
  • Stunning reaction to recent crapness...

2-1 to Stanley.

Meh!
  • edited March 2022
    As it is an away game, I'd play Stockley on his own up front and play an extra midfielder unless Washington is fit of course. Leko is so frustrating and plays his own game anyway and Burstow has shown he is a long way from being ready. Why bother with either? If you keep doing the same thing and it doesn't work, it is worth trying something else surely!
  • 2-0 AS.  Can’t forget their performance at our place (or how woeful we were) and i don’t think we have any goals in us currently
  • edited March 2022
    Cannot see Famewo being included in the squad, he’s one booking away from missing two games, would be pointless to risk it. Dobson is 2 bookings away. The cut off for 10 bookings for 2 game suspension is after the Gillingham game.

Not too much change and lots will depend on how CBT and Washington got through today.

Also do not understand changing a defence who just got its first clean sheet in over a month. Why would you do that?

Don’t want to see Castillo anywhere near this team again, another player who looks like he’s not sure what to do with the ball. Won’t be here next season, focus on being solid and getting to safety and finishing strong. CBT can come in for left-wing back when he’s ready.

Not sure what the deal with John actually is, was he brought in for U23 or to get used to training with first teamers? He’s only just turned 19 after all.

Going to be a battle and will need someone willing to run beyond and in behind players until Washington comes on, for that reason Gilbey has to start.

CBT just misses out with the view to being involved on Tuesday. One day on the grass after 4-5 weeks out with a hamstring is not a risk worth taking with someone with such raw speed.

MacGillivray
    Lavelle Pearce Gunter
    Jaiyesimi Gilbey Dobson Fraser Purrington
    Burstow Stockley

Harness, Clare, Matthews, Lee, Morgan, Leko, Washington