Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hall of Fame Vote 2022

13»

Comments

• Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/623441fb6863d/hall-of-fame-vote-for-the-class-of-2022

So has anyone on CL seen Horton, Oakes or Wilkinson play 20 games live to judge?
  • Options
    We are a long way from exhausting worthwhile candidates and the fact that people have never heard of Horton, Wilkinson, Fenton etc is really not the point. For the HOF to be fair and balanced, it must include the stars of our distant past, even if none of us were around to see them play. Horton was an important player in the 1929 promotion side. Should they be forgotten just because people can't be bothered to look back through our history? Not in my opinion. But hey guys, no need to take this too seriously. It is just a way of acknowledging the pleasure we have received through the years from our football club and some of the special players who have played for us. Of course, we all have our own opinions, but look through the names of the 30 who have so far been inducted and just how many of them do you think are not deserving? We have not even got round to Duffy, Johns, KInsey and Kingsley yet.  
    I think the fact that people (including me) haven’t heard of a number of the candidates is the point entirely. Surely the objective of the HoF is not just to honour players who have made a valuable contribution but also to educate current and future generations of that contribution?

Of the six players nominated in the two older categories I had only heard of one (Reeves) and that’s how it would have stayed were it not for the Hall of Fame initiative. Now I’ve heard of all six and have read a little about what they did for our club. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Oakes (Horton blotted his copy book by playing for Palace!)
    Reeves (have heard of him but not the other two)
    Lee (I’m sure Brown & probably Yann will get there eventually) 
    Well Benny Fenton was captain of the most successful Charlton league team since World War 2. I think we should all have heard of him. He only missed out on playing in the 1947 Cup Final because he was cup-tied.
    I was lucky to meet Benny Fenton, in those days Charlton used to train at the Valley on a Tuesday and Thursday mornings one half term my  Sister and I went to watch them training and afterwards I asked Benny for his autograph, he said I can do better than that and took my sister and me into the changing rooms and got all the players autographs, what a lovely man he was.
  • Options
    Pre-1950  Jack Horton, Jimmy Oakes, Monty Wilkinson
    1951-85  Benny Fenton, Peter Reeves, Phil Warman
    1986 to date  Steve Brown, Yann Kermorgant, Robert Lee

I've never heard of Jack Horton, certainly never seen him play.
    I think I've heard of Jimmy Oakes, but never seen him play.
    I've never heard of Monty Wilkinson and never seen him play.

I recall Benny Fenton possibly as Millwall's manager but never knew he played for Charlton.
    I remember Peter Reeves and Phil Warman as players from when we were Division 3 strugglers in the early 70's.
    I don't ever recall thinking they were anything more than average Division 3 players, although think Reeves' career was cut short by injury

I do wonder how many votes the winner in the first category will get as you would need to be in your 80's or older to have seen them play live. 
    You never saw Bartram play. Neither did I.

Does that mean he shouldn't be in the HOF?

Or is part of the purpose of the HOF to remember and celebrate those players we didn't see but are part of our history?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I think Bartram is a legend and deserves recognition whether in a Hall of fame or a statue.
    I prefer the statue.
    Even my mum's heard of Sam Bartram and she hates football.

As for the players that most Charlton fans haven't heard of, but are being asked to vote for, it's not for me, but it's not my creation. If it was then I'd feel differently.

I'm not knocking it, I just don't see the point in voting for players we've never heard of, or run of the mill Division 3 players from the 70's. (I have taken on board the explanation above).

I'm still curious as to how many votes these older ex players get, for their name to go on the wall? 

It's just my opinion and I don't wish to upset or offend the organisers and interested parties, who are putting in the graft.
  • Options
    Last season over 2,000 votes were cast which gives a very fair sample and more than they take for political type opinion polls. Just for the record Phil Warman played 364 appearances, played in two promotion sides and over half of his games were in Division 2. Peter Reeves played 294 matches over eight years and all but the last two seasons were in Division 2. Surely they are legitimate candidates? Anyway, no need for further worry because the first volume of 'The Valiant 1000' is now completed and at the printing stage. It will give you all the info that you require.
    The Valiant 1000 you say 

Sounds like a must read book.
  • Options
    I think Bartram is a legend and deserves recognition whether in a Hall of fame or a statue.
    I prefer the statue.
    Even my mum's heard of Sam Bartram and she hates football.

As for the players that most Charlton fans haven't heard of, but are being asked to vote for, it's not for me, but it's not my creation. If it was then I'd feel differently.

I'm not knocking it, I just don't see the point in voting for players we've never heard of, or run of the mill Division 3 players from the 70's. (I have taken on board the explanation above).

I'm still curious as to how many votes these older ex players get, for their name to go on the wall? 

It's just my opinion and I don't wish to upset or offend the organisers and interested parties, who are putting in the graft.

Yeah I voted but only for the last category since I wasn't alive to see anyone from the first 2 categories.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I though that was going to be the results, it seems like it's been ages.
  • Options
    I would walk barefoot on broken glass to get Brownie a cup of tea, so to have him up against our Cantona is impossible to call. 

For info - Robert Lee played for West Ham / Newcastle and is only there to make up the trio. 
  • Options
    We are a long way from exhausting worthwhile candidates and the fact that people have never heard of Horton, Wilkinson, Fenton etc is really not the point. For the HOF to be fair and balanced, it must include the stars of our distant past, even if none of us were around to see them play. Horton was an important player in the 1929 promotion side. Should they be forgotten just because people can't be bothered to look back through our history? Not in my opinion. But hey guys, no need to take this too seriously. It is just a way of acknowledging the pleasure we have received through the years from our football club and some of the special players who have played for us. Of course, we all have our own opinions, but look through the names of the 30 who have so far been inducted and just how many of them do you think are not deserving? We have not even got round to Duffy, Johns, KInsey and Kingsley yet.  
    Couldn't they just be nominated rather than voted for if there is only a minimal, or less, number of people who actually saw them play, not much point otherwise.
  • Options
    Last chance to vote for the 2022 Hall of Fame. It closes noon tomorrow. Here is the link.   https://surveyhero.com/c/d9qdhhmb .
  • Options
    So the new inductees are In the pre-1950 category, Jimmy Oakes with 65% of the vote, with Jack Horton finishing second.

For 1951-85 the winner was Peter Reeves, who I believe was present on the night, with 53% and second was Phil Warman.The post 1986 winner was Steve Brown with 46% with Yann Kermorgant in second place for the second year running.I'm told Steve was thrilled to win but had a prior working engagement.As always the runners up, Horton, Warman and Kermorgant, will go on the ballots next year with six other potential inductees, two from each era.

• Options
    3rd time lucky for Yann next year surely.

Put him on with Bogle and Schwartz please  😉 

Yann deserves his place 
  • Sponsored links: