Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hall of Fame Vote 2022

Comments

• Options
    Oakes
    Warman
    Lee

Last 3 were tough to choose from.
  • Options
    Wilkinson
    Reeves
    Brown
  • Options
    This is very difficult to vote for. 

I will have to look up the stats for the first category. 

The second selection it feels a bit unfair on Benny Fenton. Unlike his two challengers he played in and captained us in the top flight and fans in my generation might remember him as Mike Bailey's Assistant / Mentor in the 1980/81 promotion season. I think this is worth a vote with no disrespect to Reeves and Warman.

Similarly Robert Lee will get my vote because he was part of a top flight promotion team and went on to play for England in the World.Cup. The only home grown Addick to do so. Brown did play in the top flight but never for England. Yann only played in the Second and Third tiers. 
  • Options
    I always thought that it was 'Warman OG'.

How many of his 20 goals were offset by netting for the opposition?  In truth, he was pretty ordinary. 

And doesn't it devalue the HOF idea a bit when we have to induct three names every year?  Maybe I've misunderstood the rules, but I'm worried that Omar Bogle might make it eventually.
  • Options
    I think you've missed the point of a Hall of Fame and of a vote but hey ho.
  • Options
    I have voted but IMO we will get to the stage where perhaps this should be done every few years
    The way the game is at present there will be hardly any players that would hav been at the club for more than a couple of seasons and will therefore make probably voting for the most recent category worthless
  • Options
    I have voted but IMO we will get to the stage where perhaps this should be done every few years
    The way the game is at present there will be hardly any players that would hav been at the club for more than a couple of seasons and will therefore make probably voting for the most recent category worthless
    Maybe climate change or Putin or Covid23 will have killed us all by then, who knows?

We're really such a long way off running out of players from 1986 onwards it's really not worth worrying about now.  There are plenty from the premiership years and the 2012 and 2019 promotion sides that haven't even been included yet. Bauer anyone?   Bent?

If and when that happens whoever ever is looking after the Hall of Fame then can worry about it.  

Meanwhile, why aren't Eddie Mitchell and Scotty Kingsley in there?
  • Options
    Early days but two of the categories are very close. Should be interesting.
  • Options
    Oakes
    Warman
    Brown
  • Options
    Oakes
    Reeves
    Kermorgant
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakes

Reeves

Brown
  • Options
    Point of order, but Brown DID concede during his various stints in goal - once.
  • Options
    Oaks 
    Warman
    Lee
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7sU7sVYAxI
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Biogs of the nine contestants are now showing on the club site. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/623441fb6863d/hall-of-fame-vote-for-the-class-of-2022
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Thanks, I've amended that line now. May need a re-count on how many times he did it as well, whether it was four or seven or something else - I think it depends what level of competition you include.
  • Options
    No opinion, no opinion, Yann. 
  • Options
    How many votes do these candidates get?
  • Options
    Maybe climate change or Putin or Covid23 will have killed us all by then, who knows?

We're really such a long way off running out of players from 1986 onwards it's really not worth worrying about now.  There are plenty from the premiership years and the 2012 and 2019 promotion sides that haven't even been included yet. Bauer anyone?   Bent?

If and when that happens whoever ever is looking after the Hall of Fame then can worry about it.  

Meanwhile, why aren't Eddie Mitchell and Scotty Kingsley in there?
    Is the 86 to date permanent or is there plans to make it 86-06 06-to date in the future?

Its not "that" long until. The 86-to date will be over 40 years. 
  • Options
    The date has already shifted from 1980 and will probably shift again in time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No opinion, no opinion, Yann. 
    ditto
  • Options
    I think this is getting a bit predictable now. Some of these should never go down as HOF members. There should only be a select few in there, adding 3 every year is overkill imo.
  • Options
    Oakes (Horton blotted his copy book by playing for Palace!)
    Reeves (have heard of him but not the other two)
    Lee (I’m sure Brown & probably Yann will get there eventually) 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Oakes (Horton blotted his copy book by playing for Palace!)
    Reeves (have heard of him but not the other two)
    Lee (I’m sure Brown & probably Yann will get there eventually) 
    Well Benny Fenton was captain of the most successful Charlton league team since World War 2. I think we should all have heard of him. He only missed out on playing in the 1947 Cup Final because he was cup-tied.
  • Options
    The date has already shifted from 1980 and will probably shift again in time.
    Tough call because you could end up with someone being in it from the wrong era but then end up with too many people going in every year. 
  • Options
    This year's winners will be the 31st, 32nd and 33rd players out of 943 who've played 1st team since 1921.

So even if 3/4 aren't worthy that's still leaves over 200 possibles, at least.

I think it's something our grandchildren can worry about. 
  • Options
    I don't think we've quite yet exhausted the talent pool, but I think we're in danger of approaching that point pretty soon if we cling on to the current format regardless. I certainly don't think it's right to poo poo peoples' legitimate concerns without debate. Henry may feel quite comfortable leaving any decision to his grandchildren, but perhaps that's a privilege of his age ;)

I think the organisers do a magnificent job of picking players for us to vote for, but there are diminishing returns and I'd like to ensure that we don't devalue the honour by gradually lowering the entry bar. The fact that we've had at least two people responding with "No opinion, no opinion, Yann" and someone else openly admitting that they've never heard of a couple of players suggests that there is a limit to how far you can take this by public vote. Killer Jerry Lee, makes a fair point in response that we should all be aware of one of them, but let's be honest, we're not talking Bartram, Welsh or Duffy here.

To those who have to date defended the current format, I'd like to see an indication of when you think it might need a change? At some point the current format will be fatigued. We understand that you don't think we've reached that point yet, but it doesn't take a clairvoyant to see that it's coming. I'd suggest that it's better to have that discussion in advance and to have a clear idea of what changes might be made and when, than to get caught out by realising too late. Once the award is devalued, it is devalued for good. Personally, I reckon it's probably got another two or three years in its current format. After that, I'd like to see one person added to the Hall each year, but to take the three age groups in order so that each one is considered once every three years. Henry makes the point that this year we will have inducted 33 players into the Hall of Fame. That's a First XI for each of the age groups. Surely a First XI plus a couple of subs for each group is sufficient before restrictions need to be made. 

Anyway, hats off to the organisers! You're the ones who have made it happen, so ultimately you're the ones with the right to say how it's managed in the future. I don't want to be seen as someone just moaning from the sidelines. I do, however, think that people have raised legitimate questions that don't appear to have being taken seriously, at least not in public. I'd hate to see the Hall of Fame devalued because of a reluctance to listen to dissenting voices.
  • Options
    Pre-1950  Jack Horton, Jimmy Oakes, Monty Wilkinson
    1951-85  Benny Fenton, Peter Reeves, Phil Warman
    1986 to date  Steve Brown, Yann Kermorgant, Robert Lee

I've never heard of Jack Horton, certainly never seen him play.
    I think I've heard of Jimmy Oakes, but never seen him play.
    I've never heard of Monty Wilkinson and never seen him play.

I recall Benny Fenton possibly as Millwall's manager but never knew he played for Charlton.
    I remember Peter Reeves and Phil Warman as players from when we were Division 3 strugglers in the early 70's.
    I don't ever recall thinking they were anything more than average Division 3 players, although think Reeves' career was cut short by injury

I do wonder how many votes the winner in the first category will get as you would need to be in your 80's or older to have seen them play live. 
  • Options
    Well, there is space for another ten years worth on the board so when that is full whoever is running it then can decide but I really think some are worrying about crossing bridges so distant we don't know where they are and letting the, sometimes justified, negatively around the owner and team creep into this unrelated area.

I can list dozens of players I think should be in the HOF that aren't, from Eddie Marshall and Scotty Kingsley via George Tadman and Benny Fenton to all of the 1969 side (Tees, Tracy, Wright, Curtis, Went etc etc) to lots of top flight player from the Lennie and Curbs eras.  And we've hardly touched the 2012 side until Yann.  Bauer will gey in for one goal as should Jackson.

Sorry, not dismissing suggestions but there is no rush.

And it's not my HOF any way, it's Ian and the fans forum.
  • Options
    We are a long way from exhausting worthwhile candidates and the fact that people have never heard of Horton, Wilkinson, Fenton etc is really not the point. For the HOF to be fair and balanced, it must include the stars of our distant past, even if none of us were around to see them play. Horton was an important player in the 1929 promotion side. Should they be forgotten just because people can't be bothered to look back through our history? Not in my opinion. But hey guys, no need to take this too seriously. It is just a way of acknowledging the pleasure we have received through the years from our football club and some of the special players who have played for us. Of course, we all have our own opinions, but look through the names of the 30 who have so far been inducted and just how many of them do you think are not deserving? We have not even got round to Duffy, Johns, KInsey and Kingsley yet.