Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Pathetic. Said it so many times, our response to a set back is embarrassing, to a man they chuck the towell in.

Keeper has cost us a goal again.

It's a total mess and I include the manager in that. 3 centre backs on the bench and we have a left back and a midfielder playing alongside one who is clearly crocked again.
  • Shit squared.
    First half time ‘boos’ of Jackson reign.
    Yes we are injury hit but are adding poor play and lack of spirit to the mix.
  • Purrington is just dreadfull
  • So we were better than them when we weren't we weren't losing, but then we starting losing, and we were worse than them?
    We were playing okay until we had to actually do some defending. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    25 yards out. Only place thay ball should have been heading was straight for goal.
  • There was a lot of talk about us having a big squad. Well, we have 3 centre backs and 3 teenagers on the bench. How did that happen?
  • We could have been cleverer today. We didn't have a lot of options up front but we could have lined up with a back 5 of Matthews, Inniss, Lavelle, Famewo, Purrington and tried to keep things tight. It's unfortunate that we have three injured strikers and our chief creative outlet is out, but that's not excuse for the patchwork mess we've put in at the back today. Why did we even sign John if we're going to play Gilbey no matter what he does?
  • Undone by a Robinson tactical masterclass. Getting over run so fake an injury and sort out the tactics while the ref dithers.

We have to switch this up and go 442. Matthews is doing nothing and when he has had space his crossing is awful. Innis is crocked so take them off for Lavelle and Famewo. Push DJ wide right, and play Burstow for Lee. 442. Nothing to lose....
  • Purrington is just dreadfull
    ...... playing out of position. Need to put that right, Jacko.

• Sponsored links:

• Managed to watch the first few minutes of the match when my internet crashed as lecko was on the byline. Managed to get things up and up and running and find we a two down. Shit connection here in Bogotá and no doubt a shit performance. 
  • Leuth said:
    0-1 - Dobson so weak in a challenge
    Purrington very exposed there for me. Was it Inniss who chested it down nicely too? 
    Purrington wasn't tracking his man at all.
    What on earth do you mean? The assist/pass took him completely out of the game.
    He was ball watching while his man ran into space behind him...
    He was side on, the ball was played from less than 10 yards away straight into the striker’s path…
    Seems Minto and Curbs are pointing at Purrington too for the first goal. 
  • No, maybe 16k in the ground?
  • No, maybe 16k in the ground?
  • Cancel that new tailored suit for now Jacko! 
  • Browny: Charlton need to go in at half time and believe that they can get back into the game.

Wonder how many in the stands belive that. 

Today's HT team talk courtesy of Russell Osman.
  • edited February 2022
    Good first 20 minutes but this make-shift front line doesn’t look like scoring in a million years. Can’t really blame anyone for all our injuries stacking up like though. 

Really unfortunate for the first goal but absolutely went to pieces for 15 minutes after that. A real mental problem we’ve seen time and time again. 

We’re back to this pattern of us taking 15 passes to get near their box where we’ll get crowded out and lose it and then 2 passes later they’re bearing down on our goal. I don’t know if it’s the shape, do we hold a line that is too high, do we push to many players too high up the pitch when we attack? I can’t put my finger on it, but we look so open on the turnover, but it’s something which has happened at different times under our last 3 managers and is our real Achilles heal at the moment. That and how easily they lose their heads after conceding.
  • Maybe Jacko needs to borrow the charltonlife crystal ball because 90% of us saw this shit coming today!!. 
  • edited February 2022
    We could have been cleverer today. We didn't have a lot of options up front but we could have lined up with a back 5 of Matthews, Inniss, Lavelle, Famewo, Purrington and tried to keep things tight. It's unfortunate that we have three injured strikers and our chief creative outlet is out, but that's not excuse for the patchwork mess we've put in at the back today. Why did we even sign John if we're going to play Gilbey no matter what he does?
    What he does, you say? 
  • Leuth said:
    Purrington very exposed there for me. Was it Inniss who chested it down nicely too? 
    He was side on, the ball was played from less than 10 yards away straight into the striker’s path…
    And the second surely .  Out of position, true , which was totally unneeded with 3 centre halves on the bench 
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the worst games I've seen. No fight or passion & definitely no football brains out there. 

No attacking oomph & defensively we can give a goal  away every time they attack.

As I said earlier- picking this ream Jacko was either very brave or very stupid.
  • Yup get the crossbar bloke on he has an eye for goal it seems
  • wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    And the second surely .  Out of position, true , which was totally unneeded with 3 centre halves on the bench 
    No doubt he was responsible for the 2nd.
  • Taylor is targeting Purrington and Ben can't cope. We need to change things defensively.

As for scoring ourselves, no idea
  • I don’t particularly rate him but need to bring Burstow on so we have at least a natural striker on the pitch. Maybe switch more of a 4-4-1-1. Probably get Famewo or Lavelle on and lose one of Matthews, Clare, or Gilbey.
  • No fit senior strikers (not counting Burstow as one), a squad who know the season is over unless we get sucked into a relegation battle. Jackson trying to build around a system for the longer term - how long before the players feel we need a change of manager and we repeat the cycle again?

Urrrrrgggghhhh.
  • When Jacko took over as caretaker this mob looked like world-beaters.

Fast forward a few short months and we can't even beat an egg.

The only positive I can take from that first half is that I have seen worse performances in my 41 years watching this club.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    25 yards out. Only place thay ball should have been heading was straight for goal.
    He was aiming for the goal, just needs a bit of tweaking at Sparrows Lane next week.
  • Look pretty for 20 minutes without hitting the target.

Concede.

Give up. 

Spineless. Inept. Embarrassing.  

• What's the point of the long balls to Leko and, errrr, no one else?

Very poor after the first 15 minutes. Is Jacko turning into Adkins, where we played well for around 20 minutes every game with the rest of the game total dross? Last three games seem to indicate this.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!