Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nile John

Comments

• Options
    kafka said:
    Have Spurs ever loaned us anyone that is good? 
    For the oldies on here, we had someone late 70's(?) who scored a cracker in the covered end against the spanners. Not sure we saw him again. Name anyone?
    There was John Hendry,  who scored the winner against the spanners at Upton Park in 1992. T'was a cracking strike, in front of the "home end".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hendry_(footballer)
  • Options
    Surely he can't be that bad. England international at U15s through to U19s and 7 goals and 3 assists for Spurs' U23 team this season suggests he obviously has some talent.

I find it pretty amazing he hasn't been given at least a few minutes here and there to show what he can do.
    Probably like that bloke we got from Man Utd who never played, he’s simply not physically up to the job and brushed off easily by bigger players. In a couple more years or so he’ll fill out and be able to compete.
  • Options
    Shows the importance of getting these loans right.
    We’ve signed and barely played players now from Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs - we’ll be back knocking on the door in the summer so and could be told to sod off! 
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    Shows the importance of getting these loans right.
    We’ve signed and barely played players now from Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs - we’ll be back knocking on the door in the summer so and could be told to sod off! 
    Big step up from 23s to League One physically.

In Nile John's case, maybe he still needs to build up his physicality? You can hardly blame Jacko for not fielding him in a severly weakened side on a dreadful run - and all against in form promotion chasing teams.

I wouldn't even blame Jacko for not including him in our last 3 games as we needed a winning streak to restore the confidence and belief in the 1st team - especially as we needed to eliminate any lingering fears of relegation.

Despite JFC almost ready to return, perhaps if Nile John is to be given a chance, may be the time is now?

• Options
    I get Spurs won't be happy but some loanees just don't work out.  Was Razak bad because of his loan to Charlton - no he was just bad.  Same for many kids.  Whether we play them or not some just don't have the talent.  Others are loaned out too early (Levitt) when they don't have the physical stature.

Maybe it will do us no favours with Spurs but I think our U18 beat theirs 6-3 earlier this season anyway so arguably we have better kids coming through.

Ultimately when it comes to a club like Spurs with their owner, we will get another loan player from them if we pay most for them. 
  • Options
    Idk that Levitt was unable to compete tbh. He struggled in high winds on a Northampton bog and Bowyer, a man renowned for his sympathetic treatment of skilful players, never played him again
  • Options
    Has anyone from Spurs actually watched him in our U23s as the couple of times I have seen him he looks miles away from being ready for league one.

Given the circumstances around his move, I thought we were looking at him with a view to him joining our U23s.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Idk that Levitt was unable to compete tbh. He struggled in high winds on a Northampton bog and Bowyer, a man renowned for his sympathetic treatment of skilful players, never played him again
    He was far too lightweight to compete at the top end of League One, which is now like a mini Championship. 

Bowyer seemed to manage just fine with Cullen, Gallagher, Bielik, Aribo, etc. Levitt’s loan was a case of wrong place wrong time - if he was good enough to help the cause, then he would have been involved. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Parrett wasn't awful was he? Although I seem to remember he didn't feature all that much
    He was ok for us, but in an astonishingly bad Charlton team so I honestly don't know what that tells you about him
  • Options
    Think it’s clear that NJ won’t be coming back next season and will go out on loan elsewhere. That might be a good gauge of what’s gone wrong for him and us this time around. I do worry that Spurs and Chris Powell really rate him yet he’s so god damned awful. Him or us ? 
  • Options
    Obika did alright for those few games in the Championship when we finished 9th. Seem to remember he grabbed two or three important goals.
    Seem to remember Obika scored 8 against our U23 for Spurs. Spiteful that
  • Options
    Obika did alright for those few games in the Championship when we finished 9th. Seem to remember he grabbed two or three important goals.
    Seem to remember Obika scored 8 against our U23 for Spurs. Spiteful that

He also scored in FA Youth Cup QF against us. Bostock got the other two.
  • Options
    Nile John

definitely sounds like an explorer 😀

in truth he comes with a massive reputation and maybe thinks he is bigger and better than us so hasn’t fitted in.  The u23 game I saw with him
     in was largely uneventful and he didn’t shine so maybe Jacko doesn’t fancy him.
  • Options
    SCP won’t be happy
  • Options
    Given we've got nothing to play for, to be not given a chance is ridiculous and piss poor to be honest. 
  • Options
    Given we've got nothing to play for, to be not given a chance is ridiculous and piss poor to be honest. 

Why?

Two people above who watch the under 23's have both said he is way off the pace for League One so why does he have to play?

The fact we have nothing to play for is irrelevant.  
  • Options

Why?

Two people above who watch the under 23's have both said he is way off the pace for League One so why does he have to play?

I struggle to believe he's that bad, and if he is then what does that say about our recruitment? Is it that hard to give him 20 minutes on Saturday?
  • Options

Why?

I struggle to believe he's that bad, and if he is then what does that say about our recruitment? Is it that hard to give him 20 minutes on Saturday?
    But its been said above, this deal does not really come under recruitment, CP probably called JJ and they discussed the player and the possibility of giving him a run out. CP even drove him to the ground and posed for photos. 

This was a mate helping out another mate to beef up a squad with injuries. He will be gone in a few weeks never to heard of again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He was far too lightweight to compete at the top end of League One, which is now like a mini Championship. 

Bowyer seemed to manage just fine with Cullen, Gallagher, Bielik, Aribo, etc. Levitt’s loan was a case of wrong place wrong time - if he was good enough to help the cause, then he would have been involved. 
    Didn't he really struggle with covid as well?
  • Options

Why?

But its been said above, this deal does not really come under recruitment, CP probably called JJ and they discussed the player and the possibility of giving him a run out. CP even drove him to the ground and posed for photos. 

This was a mate helping out another mate to beef up a squad with injuries. He will be gone in a few weeks never to heard of again.
    If that is the case, I don't think it is BTW, SCP is an idiot.  His job whether we like it or not is looking after spurs's kids.  This has done nothing to help Spurs or John.

Spurs are moving towards a Chelsea type system with their young players and giving them contracts with no intention of ever playing them.  They are doing this now with Parrot.  But John is highly regarded and younger, the only way Spurs can be remotely happy with this is of its a view to another year or even two on loan afterwards. 
  • Options
    Cullen, Gallagher and Bielik were exceptional loans. Generally speaking I'd prefer to see our your kids get a run out than an average loanee. For example, I'd love to see young Leaburn get ten minutes before the end of the season.
  • Options
    We signed John and a few days later signed Fraser, which we couldn't have been certain about.
    Fans were discussing a top half finish. 
    Then we lost 6 on the trot and couldn't afford to throw in a young loanee, if we didn't think he would definitely be an improvement. 
    But surely he is from a Premier League side, and much better than our U23's - otherwise why did we take him on loan. 

Answers please to :

Martin Sandgaard
    c/o the black box

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    20/30 years ago when you brought a player in on loan they would go straight into your starting eleven. Now clubs just loan players in as squad fillers. John is that example 
    This.

Over the past few years it seems that its obligatory that we fill up our loan quota. In fact, we went over that in January & now have 6 loans. In was that farcical that we left out a left footed centre half the other week & played a right footed right back in his place because we couldn't fit him into the 18 man squad. 

Loans should be seen as a luxury or an add-on, not the norm. It has also had a detrimental effect on us as every season we start the summer "rebuild" having to replace 5 or 6 loanees that have gone back to their parent clubs. IT HAS GOT TO STOP.
  • Options
    Spurs have sold him down the river, sending him to us. 
    Can a player be Charltonised after just training?

• Options
    If he is such a hot prospect why is JJ not playing him?