Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Norwich | FA Cup 3rd Round | Sunday 9th January 2022, 2pm | Match Preview

Comments

• edited January 2022
    I am pretty sure that we beat Norwich at their place with a very late, very tame J Jackson goal that the keeper dived over (I was there) .. (2014 or 15 ?) .. at the time Norwich were well placed in the table and we were not so well placed lol .. 
    Described in the article at www.votvonline.com
  • The cup has become a joke. Neither team will care if they lose. 
  • I am pretty sure that we beat Norwich at their place with a very late, very tame J Jackson goal that the keeper dived over (I was there) .. (2014 or 15 ?) .. at the time Norwich were well placed in the table and we were not so well placed lol .. 
    manager Bob Peeters !! .. as said by Everitt, you could have given me 100 guesses at our manager that night, I would still have come up nil points .. I just remember our goal being one of the softest I can recall .. we really nicked the 3 points that night (for a change) .. hoping for a similar effort and result this weekend .. 
  • Ben18 said:
    I am pretty sure that we beat Norwich at their place with a very late, very tame J Jackson goal that the keeper dived over (I was there) .. (2014 or 15 ?) .. at the time Norwich were well placed in the table and we were not so well placed lol .. 
    manager Bob Peeters !! .. as said by Everitt, you could have given me 100 guesses at our manager that night, I would still have come up nil points .. I just remember our goal being one of the softest I can recall .. we really nicked the 3 points that night (for a change) .. hoping for a similar effort and result this weekend .. 
    Henderson was brilliant that night, Bikey should have been sent off for slapping someone, and also punched one off the line which the ref missed. We parked the bus and defended superbly. Igor a lone figure up top, but he did well and at one point held off Michael Turner who had him in a head lock. 

Jacko’s goal deflected beautifully past the wrong footed Ruddy, which must have been our only attempt in the match. 
    Bikey .. another blast from the depths .. now there was a take no prisoners and show no mercy defender .. and Russian Igor lol , he cost a good few quid .. is he available to come back ? ((:>)
  • 1-0 The Addicks ease through. 
  • Ben18 said:
    Date: 9th January 2022, 2pm k/o
    Competition: FA Cup 3rd Round
    Opposition: Norwich City

Introduction

Following our win at Gateshead, every Charlton fan would have been gripped to the TV, watching on as David Seaman chuckled his way through the Third Round Draw. After avoiding a dull Championship away day, we got what we wanted; a Premier League team at home. Unfortunately that team was Norwich.

With the playoffs seemingly miles away, the cup competitions have given us something else to be mildly optimistic about in recent weeks.

There are no replays in this year's FA Cup 3rd and 4th round. Teams can use up to 5 substitutes.

The Opposition

Norwich City

Nickname - The Canaries
    Formed - 1902
    Current League Position - 20th (English Premier League)
    Manager - Dean Smith
    Captain - Grant Hanley
    Top Goalscorer - Teemu Pukki (5 goals)

The current biggest yo-yo around, Norwich look set to return to the Championship at the end of the season. Back to back wins at the start of November (under different managers) are long forgotten, as the Canaries lost all 5 games in December without scoring a goal. It's only a few months ago that they were coming up to the Premier League as champions so will be dangerous.

Their New Year's Day fixture against Leicester was postponed due to covid cases within the squad. Like us, they're back in action on Wednesday so unlikely they'll risk too many of their 'stars'. They've had quite a few injuries, including Pukki who is unlikely to start an FA Cup game when they're only 3 points from safety.

Young strikers Adam Idah (Hat trick in the FA Cup 3rd round a couple of years ago) and Josh Sargent will most likely lead the line for them. 

Team News

We know Famewo can't be involved against his parent club, and Stockley could be out for a while with a hip issue. Minutes for Inniss and Matthews on Tuesday night could see either of them starting this one, especially with 5 substitutes being allowed.

Henderson has played the previous rounds so expect him to get the nod in goal. But other than that, I would expect us to play our best team available.

My predicted team:

Henderson

Clare  Elerewe  Pearce
    Jaiyesimi                        Purrington
                        Dobson
                  Gilbey       Lee

Leko  Washington

Prediction

2-1 (Washington, Lee) We're a cup team now.
    That's the old logo. It was recently updated
  • edited January 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• Quite looking fwd to this. Norwich are so poor in the Premiership although I am sure their team will be better than the pathetic 11 that took on Palace. 1-0 Charlton, Leko again and hopefully Huddersfield away in R4.
  • edited January 2022

Canary died recently due to a mining accident, so they now use a budgie?
  • The cup has become a joke. Neither team will care if they lose. 
    Norwich will care if they lose against a L1 side. Their local media and fans will go mad considering they’ve not given a fuck in the league. 

Charlton will care, but as underdogs, it’s expected.
  • Norwich are a win away from leaving the drop zone in the Prem and have 4 games coming up in a fairly short time. A couple of them are winnable. 

I fancy their focus will be elsewhere on Sunday. (£70m (?) for staying in the Prem these days, or a step closer to being thumped by Man City at Wembley in the final. 

Do you either cut down on beer or the kids’ school gear ? It’s a big decision. 
  • We can't beat Plymouth or Wycombe but we will beat Norwich. 

Record high levels of delusion on here.

Might have sneaked something with an airtight defence but we don't have one of those. Might have grabbed a goal against the run of play with a capable striker but we don't have one of those either. 

0.3 routine defeat to superior opposition in front of a muted  crowd. 

And on to Hartlepool.  

• Ben18 said:

Introduction

Following our win at Gateshead, every Charlton fan would have been gripped to the TV, watching on as David Seaman chuckled his way through the Third Round Draw. After avoiding a dull Championship away day, we got what we wanted; a Premier League team at home. Unfortunately that team was Norwich.

With the playoffs seemingly miles away, the cup competitions have given us something else to be mildly optimistic about in recent weeks.

There are no replays in this year's FA Cup 3rd and 4th round. Teams can use up to 5 substitutes.

The Opposition

Norwich City

Nickname - The Canaries
    Formed - 1902
    Manager - Dean Smith
    Captain - Grant Hanley

The current biggest yo-yo around, Norwich look set to return to the Championship at the end of the season. Back to back wins at the start of November (under different managers) are long forgotten, as the Canaries lost all 5 games in December without scoring a goal. It's only a few months ago that they were coming up to the Premier League as champions so will be dangerous.

Their New Year's Day fixture against Leicester was postponed due to covid cases within the squad. Like us, they're back in action on Wednesday so unlikely they'll risk too many of their 'stars'. They've had quite a few injuries, including Pukki who is unlikely to start an FA Cup game when they're only 3 points from safety.

Young strikers Adam Idah (Hat trick in the FA Cup 3rd round a couple of years ago) and Josh Sargent will most likely lead the line for them. 

Team News

We know Famewo can't be involved against his parent club, and Stockley could be out for a while with a hip issue. Minutes for Inniss and Matthews on Tuesday night could see either of them starting this one, especially with 5 substitutes being allowed.

Henderson has played the previous rounds so expect him to get the nod in goal. But other than that, I would expect us to play our best team available.

My predicted team:

Henderson

Clare  Elerewe  Pearce
                        Dobson
                  Gilbey       Lee

Leko  Washington

Prediction

Why are they still using the old one for their twitter page?
  • edited January 2022
    We can't beat Plymouth or Wycombe but we will beat Norwich. 

Record high levels of delusion on here.

It’s the magic of The Cup, that’s what it’s all about. It’s been lost for years but somebody has clearly found an old tin of it in a cupboard somewhere and been sprinkling it about. There’s no turning back now, magic happens, sometimes for a short while, sometimes for a bit longer and if you thought covid is infectious, wait until you get cup fever. 2-0 Charlton 
  • I have not given a tuppenny damn for the FA cup for a number of years. Paltry crowds watching reserve teams play it out at odd untraditional times of day.  Nah, not for me any more. But I make an exception tomorrow cos it’s all about brave young Ben. I hope a decent crowd turn out and sing his name to the rafters followed by an inspired performance from the boys in red. I’d make an exception and attend if I only could. Norwich’s first team are rubbish so I hope their reserves are even worse and we have a chance if we are really bovvered.  I hope it’s not a damp squib and a decent crowd turn out. COYR. 
  • Full comms will be available on the BBC Sport website 
  • Davo55 said:
    With Stockley out I would love to see Mason Burstow starting up front with Conor Washington.
    Can’t see us scoring, whoever plays up front 
  • Sponsored links:

• This should be an interesting game but the absence of Stockley casts a big shadow over our prospects. I expect that Leko will start centrally alongside Washington and that we’ll see Burstow at some stage.
  • edited January 2022
    As much as Jacko likes to play two up front, I can see a bit of a change of shape, just a slight tweak. If it’s Leko in for Davison, we’ll likely ask him to cover the wide areas a bit more.

Think we just have to make the most of it and try to be attacking when we can.

Henderson
    Clare Inniss Pearce
    Jaiyesimi Dobson Purrington
    Leko Gilbey Lee
    Washington

MacGillivray, Matthews, Gunter, Souaré, Watson, Morgan, Kirk, Blackett-Taylor, Burstow

Don’t worry, it won’t be a 3-3-3-1 but that’s the only way I could put the players in a way that visually shows what I’m trying to say.
  • Has anyone managed to find a stream yet ?
  • Ben18 said:

Introduction

The Opposition

Norwich City

Nickname - The Canaries
    Formed - 1902
    Manager - Dean Smith
    Captain - Grant Hanley

Team News

My predicted team:

Henderson

Clare  Elerewe  Pearce
                        Dobson
                  Gilbey       Lee

Leko  Washington

Prediction

Why are they still using the old one for their twitter page?
    New crest from next season I believe 
  • AndyG said:
    Has anyone managed to find a stream yet ?
    There is one down our country lane at the moment ....
  • edited January 2022
    Comfortable 2-0 win, round 4 here we come....Norwich....Nah B)
    Jacko has 'em "Up For The Cup" this year..
  • AndyG said:
    Has anyone managed to find a stream yet ?
    Has anyone ever watched on paddypower? They appear to offer the stream if you register with them by making a £20 bet - that you get back if you lose.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!