Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs MK Dons | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 4th January 2022, 7pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Slightly different issue but does anyone know if Crossbars will be open before tomorrow night's match ?

I believe it was closed for the last Pizza Cup game - just Bartrams open. 
  • seth plum said:
    It looks to me like Harness is the designated goalkeeper for this competition, and Henderson for the FA Cup.
    Really don’t know why we brought Henderson in. Should have trusted Harness or AMB as back up.
  • DOUCHER said:
    this competition is a symptom of a lot of things that are wrong with our football infrastructure - its an insult and i want nothing to do with it  
    Score prediction though?
  • Sage said:
    seth plum said:
    It looks to me like Harness is the designated goalkeeper for this competition, and Henderson for the FA Cup.
    Really don’t know why we brought Henderson in. Should have trusted Harness or AMB as back up.
    Harness not ready or good enough to be number 2 and AMB desperately needed game time this season. Henderson for the year whilst we assess the development of AMB was the right call. He’s also a good go between for Jackson and the rest of the players with his friendship with him previously. It won’t be renewed in the summer but for a stop gap, it was the right call.
    Wasn't Henderson brought in under Adkins?
  • seth plum said:
    Sage said:
    seth plum said:
    Harness not ready or good enough to be number 2 and AMB desperately needed game time this season. Henderson for the year whilst we assess the development of AMB was the right call. He’s also a good go between for Jackson and the rest of the players with his friendship with him previously. It won’t be renewed in the summer but for a stop gap, it was the right call.
    Wasn't Henderson brought in under Adkins?
    Yes, but the recommendation of the training could and most probably did come from Jackson.
  • All of the 40k wanting tickets to the final will claim they were at this game.
  • edited January 2022
    Why not go for PJ Cup? 
    FA Cup, "IF" we get past Norwich...Round 5/6 at best if results go our way. 
    A trip to Wembley on April 3 for PJ Final with 30-40K Addicks, what's there not to like, IF we get through the next 3 games?  
    Unless Moses parts the red sea and we go on an amazing run in 2nd half of the season and push up into a play off spot were looking at League One football 22/23. Sunderland have proven it doesn't matter how "big" a club is it's really hard to escape this division. I'd love another trip to Wembley, these days in our recent history have been rare, 87, 98,19, & a PJ Final would only be the 8th Charlton Wembley Final. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Be surprised if Arter plays, he will be out of the door soon. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Be surprised if Arter plays, he will be out of the door soon. 
    Assumption or something you’ve heard? Hoping we included a clause that allows us to terminate his loan.
  • edited January 2022
    Tonight will be my first  cup match at The Valley since Powell was manager. We need to rebuild the club and taking both cups seriously is probably the priority for remaining part of the season.

Big night for Burstow as we are lacking a striker and he can show Jacko he’s ready for more than a bit part this season.

2-1 Charlton. 
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Be surprised if Arter plays, he will be out of the door soon. 
    Assumption or something you’ve heard? Hoping we included a clause that allows us to terminate his loan.
    Something you heard? Must have been the whispering voices over the sand dunes.
  • Now we’ve got this far we should definitely go for it. We have nothing to play for in the league and could easily be out the FA Cup on Sat. This is our only chance of success and a day out at Wembley would brighten up a grim season.

its a sad state of affairs when the 3rd round of the pizza cup could quite possibly make or break our season. 
  • There will be no trains between London Bridge towards Charlton & beyond today due to emergency engineering works.
    London bound services will run but may be delayed.
    https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/live-travel-information/service-disruption
  • Southbank said:
    I have made this point before, but there have been more enjoyable games in this competition this season, with our younger players getting an opportunity and lots of goals, than in the league games at home.
    What some people are suggesting is that we are too big a club to be part of this and therefore treat it with disdain. This is the sort of attitude that when we see it in other clubs we think is stupid. We are a mid level league one club at present, might as well make the most of it.
    Agreed, the competition may be tainted by the inclusion of the U21 sides, but when you look at the winners, most are comparable clubs to ourselves. In the last 10 years the winners include Sunderland, Pompey, Lincoln, Coventry, Barnsley, Bristol City and Peterborough
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2022

I just want out of this fucking third tier and this shit competition.
    Talk about sitting on the fence!

• I just want out of this fucking third tier and this shit competition.
    So do we all. But…
    We have to make the best of the situation we are faced with. We have to learn how to beat teams like Wimbledon and Wycombe, and we have to make the best of the opportunities that present themselves to us in Cup competitions. Otherwise, what is the point? 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I don't get why people's expectations don't change based upon the club's situation. 

I mean I am hellishly disappointed with this season, but I won't expect the club to be in the PL when we've been poor for 15 years. 

I expect us to be challenging for that last play off spot, actually I hope we are, but after the disastrous start I wouldn't be too beat up if this season is a write off. What I do expect is every player to give their all until the final whistle of the final game. 
    Agreed. All the planning should be about how do we finish top 2 next season. There’s still plenty we can learn this season. For example, can Deji & Burstow show they are good enough to step up and play 40 matches + next season. The more matches they play in this competition, the better chance of finding out.
  • I understand peoples disdain for this comp but as it is looking increasingly unlikely we will be promoted this year then why not try win some silverware? Good experience for the youngsters and winning breeds confidence.  
  • Of course we know we are a shithouse League One team but I'm damned if after 8 seasons in 13 (it'll be that next season) that I am accepting of this wankness ...

we haven't spent 8 seasons in the third tier since our first baby footsteps in League football 100 years ago .

Make no mistake we are currently in the blackmark , wankstain, pebble dashed shit stain of our footballing history

these are beyond shameful times as our two local rivals are league(s) above us as we wallow in this cesspit of crapness
    so yes I know we're shit , call me a football snob or whatever but I wont be celebrating a victory in a competition where our local rivals u21s enter where our 'first team' do

All fans have a view on where their place is and ours isn't here and nor is Sunderland or Ipswich and unfortunately for us and them it's where we're at .

We are utter shit , this competition is shit , I want a Wembley fixture to mean something , this has less meaning to me than a kickabout with the kids at home .
    I will go to the final because my kids will want to go but I don't give a shit whether we win or lose tonight .

@oohaahmortimer. I find these posts funny but they're all reading a bit samey now! You must be in deep despair mate!
  • Of course we know we are a shithouse League One team but I'm damned if after 8 seasons in 13 (it'll be that next season) that I am accepting of this wankness ...

we haven't spent 8 seasons in the third tier since our first baby footsteps in League football 100 years ago .

Make no mistake we are currently in the blackmark , wankstain, pebble dashed shit stain of our footballing history

these are beyond shameful times as our two local rivals are league(s) above us as we wallow in this cesspit of crapness
    so yes I know we're shit , call me a football snob or whatever but I wont be celebrating a victory in a competition where our local rivals u21s enter where our 'first team' do

All fans have a view on where their place is and ours isn't here and nor is Sunderland or Ipswich and unfortunately for us and them it's where we're at .

We are utter shit , this competition is shit , I want a Wembley fixture to mean something , this has less meaning to me than a kickabout with the kids at home .
    I will go to the final because my kids will want to go but I don't give a shit whether we win or lose tonight .

Couldn't agree more, its got to mean something when you go to Wembley, not playing Swansea's u23s 
  • If the sponsors of this eminent trophy were to offer free pizzas to those that attended fixtures that would change people's negative attitude pretty quickly. 

Or not. 
  • edited January 2022
    cabbles said:
    Lose this and the season’s over.  We must go all out 

What a sad indictment of where we are it is, when we have to hang onto the coat-tails of this pepperoni bloody cup to "rescue" our season.. :'(
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!