Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs MK Dons | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 4th January 2022, 7pm | Match Preview

Date: 4th January 2022, 7pm k/o
Competition: Papa John's Trophy Third Round
Opposition: MK Dons

Introduction

As the Christmas decorations are boxed up and put back in the loft for next year, attention turns to the January Transfer Rumours thread Papa John's Trophy.

While our return to league action on Saturday was reminiscent of about 20 other frustrating Charlton games I've watched in the last couple of seasons, its nice to now embrace the most unusual Charlton situation; 2 new year cup games.

The Opposition

MK Dons knocked out Group G winners Leyton Orient on penalties in the previous round. They fielded a mixture of first team and development players.

If he plays, Scott Twine is their danger man. The attacking midfielder was bought in the summer to replace the much coveted Scott Fraser. The 22 year old has been in fine form this season, with 11 goals and 7 assists from 23 appearances. Meanwhile Mohamed Eisa and Troy Parrott are dangerous forwards, despite only 8 goals between them.

They're 7th in League One following a 0-0 draw with Gillingham on Saturday, and have normally used a 3-4-1-2 formation.

Team News

As always with this prestigious competition, a tough one to guess. After Saturday's disappointment following a two week break, I'm sure Jackson will want to gain some momentum/sharpness as we go into a busy period, so could risk a few of our first team especially with 5 subs available on the night. We've endured back to back 1-0 defeats in the league now, so there's also the option to try a different formation/tactic.

Kirk, Matthews, Gunter, Stockley, Blackett-Taylor, and Arter were all missing from the squad on Saturday, and with the exception of Stockley I'm not sure if they were just dropped/injured/ill/about to be returned to Forest/about to be loaned out/sold.

Harness in goal, Elerewe, Bakrin and Burstow have impressed in this competition so I would expect each of them to start. Clayden could also operate at wing back if fit.

Assuming Jackson sticks with his 3-5-2 and saves most of the first team for Sunday I'll go with the below, but expect experienced options on the bench if they don't start (particularly Leko and Inniss, but also Matthews who is back in training):

My predicted team:

Harness

Bakrin   Elerewe    Souare
Gunter/Kirk                         Clayden
                    Watson
           Morgan       Arter

Davison    Burstow

Prediction

2-1 to the mighty midweek reds. Davison to score both, including a technically perfect overhead kick.

Comments

• Good preview once again, Ben 
  • Looking forward to seeing how the fringe players are currently doing tomorrow.
    For me a freedom pass and a quid to get in makes it an attractive prospect, hope to be able to buy Norwich tickets before the game tomorrow evening as well.
  • Here’s the other games as a reminder that winning tomorrow night is worth putting some effort into:

• Is tomorrow's game on Charlton TV, does anyone know off hand. 
    Yes. But only the game - no Scott Minto or guests 
    Yes. But only the game - no Scott Minto or guests 
    Thank you. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Time for a double cup exit so we can concentrate on the league...
  • Let's be clear - I detest this competition with a vengeance. And the fact we are in it, having to compete against PL under 21 teams, is an ever reminder how far we have fallen.

Yet..... 

The play-offs are a pipe dream. And unless we are careful this season is just going to drift along to a completely nothing conclusion. Win tomorrow and we are 3 games away from Wembley. (And there are not too many teams left we should fear if playing a reasonably strong team ourselves) Another day out there with 40000 reds in attendance could help revitalise this season and sow a good feeling for next year.

So I hope JJ puts out a reasonably strong team tomorrow, something on the lines Ben has suggested and not one full of kids. 
  • No excuse to not put out a reasonable team tomorrow. And a great chance for a few fringe players in the next 2 games to shows Jacko they are worth a go in the league (e.g. Gunter, Matthews, Morgan), or even retaining in the case of Arter.

The current midfield 3 have done well, but all 3 have played in the Cheltenham, Plymouth and Wycombe defeats, so shouldn't be considered automatic picks now IF other players can make a case. Which could be Morgan or Arter OR could be Clare, if someone else comes into the back 3.
  • I reckon Innis will start and probably come off after 60 mins

• I reckon Innis will start and probably come off after 6 mins

• Can't see why Innis won't play for an hour. Not sure if Famewo is available v Norwich. If he can't then can see him playing as well. 
  • We won’t bring 40k to Wembley for this shithouse trophy 

lose this and concentrate on the fa cup 
    Too right we won’t, we would take 40k to Wembley but we definitely won’t bring that many 
  • Meh!

What's that program?  Curb your enthusiasm?

My eye is on the joys of the FA cup
    😷
  • Sponsored links:

• Still insulting to be in this competition, don't mind seeing us lose really. We can focus on (inevitably coming mid table) the league and Fa Cup. 
  • edited January 2022
    Still insulting to be in this competition, don't mind seeing us lose really. We can focus on (inevitably coming mid table) the league and Fa Cup. 
    It would more insulting, as with previous seasons, if we were not still involved! We have a good opportunity after a bit of a break and a loss to get two low pressure games in within a week. Build some confidence, get "minutes into legs" and maybe progress on two fronts in the cups. Playoffs look unlikely now, so why not give it a go tomorrow with a strong team? Who wouldn't like a trip to Wembley? The last couple of seasons have been dismal, so I'd be well happy if we made it, even in a two bob competition. We'll probably lose on pens tomorrow, but you can dream haha! COYA
  • I think we'll lose. MK have our number at the Valley past few years
  • I think we'll lose. MK have our number at the Valley past few years
    No wins in the last 5 home fixtures 
  • that line up prediction is basically, a smattering of our future mixed with everyone else that should be out the door!!!, question mark over Kirk, purely because we just got him and surely can’t be that bad!!!! Think I will watch on teletext👍
  • 2-2 we win on penalties against franchise to face arsenal u21s in the quarter final. Joy
  • It looks to me like Harness is the designated goalkeeper for this competition, and Henderson for the FA Cup.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!