Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Showed some fight but still outperformed 
    Of course but that’s no surprise is it. They’re simply a much better side than us. A bit like the FA Cup this weekend, you can only ask to give it your all and battle hard. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Of course but that’s no surprise is it. They’re simply a much better side than us. A bit like the FA Cup this weekend, you can only ask to give it your all and battle hard
    Which wasn't what England delivered in the 1st 3 matches. Melbourne was a pathetic performance, 68 all out in the second innings, and the players and coaches were rightfully slaughtered for it.

Especially impressive considering we had 3 injured players batting today.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Are we really celebrating this?
  • Options
    We’re gonna lose 3-1
  • Options
    How much cricket was lost to the rain? The only reason we didn’t get another pasting. Still a pathetic performance in my eyes.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    How much cricket was lost to the rain? The only reason we didn’t get another pasting. Still a pathetic performance in my eyes.
    Not that much, with the early starts and late finishes. 91 overs were bowled today
  • Options
    I hope Crawley gets a long run in the team now.
  • Options
    Quality bloke Jos Buttler batted - get this - 38 balls with a broken finger! Surely he deserves the next ten Tests for that alone
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Of course but that’s no surprise is it. They’re simply a much better side than us. A bit like the FA Cup this weekend, you can only ask to give it your all and battle hard
    Which wasn't what England delivered in the 1st 3 matches. Melbourne was a pathetic performance, 68 all out in the second innings, and the players and coaches were rightfully slaughtered for it.

Especially impressive considering we had 3 injured players batting today.
    Absolutely. No excuses for the way we performed in the first three but at least we stood up and fought for the most part in this test. Ultimately we don’t have the individuals required to regularly win test matches. 
  • Options
    Oh yay we drew a rain affected test by the skin of our teeth. 

Billings in and let’s give Crawley a decent run in the side now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    Not that much, with the early starts and late finishes. 91 overs were bowled today
    True but we'd still have lost this test if it wasn't for the rain, but of course that's part of cricket and at least they showed some spirit.
  • Options
    It feels like a victory; maybe, it shouldn't, but it's a heck of a lot better than the previous three Tests in Oz.
  • Options
    Went to bed with Crawley on 77, think if I'd have seen him get put I'd have lost any hope, so glad I would have been wrong!
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Woke up this morning expecting another defeat, so a big surprise. 

England are playing in alien conditions, with no proper practice matches leading into the first test. This is only the fourth game on tour. We would fair much better if we have a proper preparation, with three tour matches before the first test. PMs XI, Queensland Country XI & Queensland State team. The fourth tour game would be the First Test and not the Fourth Test. Charlton wouldn't go into the first game of the season without any pre-season friendlies.

County & State teams have deliberately fielded weakened teams to undermine the Touring Teams practice in the past few years, making them meaningless. So Touring Teams play pick up games amongst themselves. Unless that changes, Touring sides will be at a big disadvantage. The ECB & ACB are obviously happy with that, as they sell more tickets if the home side dominates and it's all geared up for their domestic TV audience. 

The tour matches against the visiting international team was always a highlight of the season, as was MCC v Tourists at Lords. Still, mustn't get in the way of the white ball cricket.
    Agreed

It's been a bad trend in recent years, of teams starting overseas series hopelessly underprepared. Partially because of a lack of decent practice games (rain even largely washed out the England vs England A practice games) but also because teams don't want to or are unable to commit the time to arrive early enough, because of the packed schedule.

Instead of fewer longer tours, we now have far more shorter tours, alternating formats. In the old days, you'd play the Ashes tests down under, then more or less the same players would continue with the ODIs. Now, we have a separate T20 tour of the West Indies starting in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    The weather cost the match the equivalent of two sessions. 385 overs were bowled out of a fine weather minimum of 450 (90 overs per day x 5 days)
    Realistically despite Crawley's, Bairstow's and Stokes's resistance the rain saved England from another defeat.  The first innings capitulation in 79 overs virtually sealed the outcome.
  • Options
    Hopefully Stokes can bat even if he cant bowl. Does mean I'd want Woakes in at 7 and drop Buttler. Probably means Bairstow to keep if fit.
    I think Buttler will be delighter if he is dropped. His body language is awful for a keeper and even more so on this tour. He will announce his retirement from Test cricket and make himself even more available to the highest bidders in franchise cricket given that he won't play in the CC either. Don't blame him but if anyone demonstrates the gulf in technique required to play the two very different disciplines it is him.

Has a fractured finger and will fly home tomorrow. Good to see him sticking around to support the team.
  • Options
    Hopefully Stokes can bat even if he cant bowl. Does mean I'd want Woakes in at 7 and drop Buttler. Probably means Bairstow to keep if fit.
    I think Buttler will be delighter if he is dropped. His body language is awful for a keeper and even more so on this tour. He will announce his retirement from Test cricket and make himself even more available to the highest bidders in franchise cricket given that he won't play in the CC either. Don't blame him but if anyone demonstrates the gulf in technique required to play the two very different disciplines it is him.

Has a fractured finger and will fly home tomorrow. Good to see him sticking around to support the team.
    From Elizabeth Ammon in today's Times:

He has worked hard on his wicket-keeping and over the years he has improved but he is not a natural.
    Keeping was always very much the lesser facet of his game and it seems to have reached its ceiling – there are better wicketkeepers out there and it is a role that England must value more highly.

“It’s certainly my ambition [to continue playing Test cricket],” he said earlier this month. “I have fantastic family support. They’re very supportive of me and my career and make a lot of sacrifices for that. It’s certainly maintained my drive and ambition to try and play [Test cricket].”

Perhaps he feels he has to say that — certainly in the middle of a series — although you get the sense he means it and does want a successful Test career. Nonetheless, it may be a relief to him if the decision is taken out of his hands to allow him to focus on short-form cricket, where his market value is huge.

Everyone wanted Buttler to be England’s Adam Gilchrist. In full flow, Buttler is the kind of player that makes you shut your laptop lid and just watch but no one can say he hasn’t been given a fair crack at it. It is time to move on.
  • Options
    Think billings *could* be what we’ve been looking for in Buttler this whole time - a good wicketkeeper who can give the ball a bit of a whack too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billings is 2 years older than Foakes and averages 4 less with the bat in FC cricket
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Billings is 2 years older than Foakes and averages 4 less with the bat in FC cricket
    But plays at Canterbury and not the Oval
  • Options
    Sounding like Stokes is out of the final test wont even be able to play as a batsman. Assuming Bairstow can bat but not keep I would go with the below.

Burns
    Crawley
    Malan
    Root
    Bairstow
    Pope
    Billings
    Wood
    Leach 
    Broad
    Anderson

I would quite like to have Woakes in at 7 for Billings as the allrounder to give us the extra bowler. Cant see them doing that though. If Wood or Anderson aren't fit then Robinson comes in.
  • Options
    Not giving Lawrence a game in Stokes' absence would be tantamount to abuse tbh
  • Options
    (and Robinson should play every Test if fit, in for Leach and Lawrence can bowl the spin) 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Not giving Lawrence a game in Stokes' absence would be tantamount to abuse tbh
    Massively unfair on Lawrence I agree, but he'll be incredibly rusty, not having played a game for weeks.

Indeed while it's a completely different format, the Big Bash players are at least match fit, and have some confidence. It's never happen, but if Alex Hales was recalled to play at Hobart (80no today, 63 2 days ago) I'm sure he'd do better than Lawrence or Pope in the middle order.
  • Options
    I am extremely unsure of that
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Leuth said:
    But plays at Canterbury and not the Oval
    The Hundred Sam Billings leads Oval Invincibles to win over Welsh Fire -  BBC Sport

;) 
    And your point?

T20 Blast Ben Foakes steers Surrey to win holders Essex still winless -  BBC Sport
  • Options
    England need to get their ancestry books out and get David Beddingham in the side ASAP