Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    I'm not a keeper but the keepers in my group chat were all full of praise for Pope. Apparently his foot movement was excellent which is a sign of a good keeper. 

Suspect they will give Pope the gloves for the last test assuming Bairstow isn't fit. Even if Buttler is fit stick him on a flight home (commercial, economy, delayed, next to a crying baby).

Just shows how confused our selection and planning has been. We had 2 keepers in the main squad and 3 in the lions but we had to call up Billings who just happened to be out there in the BBL (I rate Billings and would like him to have a go but the point still stands) and end up using a part time keeper for a test and a half.

Wouldn't surprise me if they asked Burns to keep for a innings next.

Surprised stokes spent so much time in the field when he has a side strain and can't bowl and is a doubt for the next test. I'd be having him massaged permanently from now until the last test to make sure he can bat if nothing else.
  • Options
    What time does it start tonight ?
  • Options
    I'm not a keeper but the keepers in my group chat were all full of praise for Pope. Apparently his foot movement was excellent which is a sign of a good keeper. 

Suspect they will give Pope the gloves for the last test assuming Bairstow isn't fit. Even if Buttler is fit stick him on a flight home (commercial, economy, delayed, next to a crying baby).

Just shows how confused our selection and planning has been. We had 2 keepers in the main squad and 3 in the lions but we had to call up Billings who just happened to be out there in the BBL (I rate Billings and would like him to have a go but the point still stands) and end up using a part time keeper for a test and a half.

Surprised stokes spent so much time in the field when he has a side strain and can't bowl and is a doubt for the next test. I'd be having him massaged permanently from now until the last test to make sure he can bat if nothing else.
    I don't think he'll play the 5th Test.
  • Options

Pope did well and his foot movement was good. The catch to dismiss Harris was very good because he stayed down - the sign that he hasn't been doing it regularly is the closing of this knees as a backstop just in case! But we have to have someone doing it for England who is doing it regularly in red ball - not Pope, not Buttler and not Billings unless he is doing so for Kent. And you're right Foakes should have been out there. In fact, there is an argument that Buttler should have been honest and admitted that he didn't want to go because he wasn't in the right frame of mind to go.

• Options

To be fair it's extraordinary bad luck that Buttler and Bairstow picked up hand injuries in the SAME match

I imagine Stokes fielded so that he can bat in his normal position. If he didn't field, then would all 3 have to bat down the order, with Wood at 5 and Leach at 6?
  • Options

To be fair it's extraordinary bad luck that Buttler and Bairstow picked up hand injuries in the SAME match

I imagine Stokes fielded so that he can bat in his normal position. If he didn't field, then would all 3 have to bat down the order, with Wood at 5 and Leach at 6?
    We'd win it sooner if Wood was at 5. 
  • Options
    Play starts at 11pm, TMS from 10.30
  • Options

Indeed. Our selection and planning has been woeful. So many players unprepared for the one series we care about above all others. So little to choose from when things go wrong, as they inevitably have. Part-time keepers, part-time spinners and part-time opening batsmen. I really think the management needs to go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love it, Sam.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    IdleHans said:
    Presentation at 11:45pm.  After all the players have had a shower and changed. 
    "Joe, all out for 53, you must be really disappointed."
    "David, we'll keep on working hard, and learning lessons."
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    IdleHans said:
    "We're doing a lot of things right but not often enough."
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    IdleHans said:
    "We have to take the positives and build on them."
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Chizz said:
    IdleHans said:
    "We have to take the positives and build on them."
    “The real problem is we bowled too short”
  • Options
    Lot of doom and gloom on here.
    I reckon we will bat all day  and get a well deserved draw.
  • Options
    Lot of doom and gloom on here.
    I reckon we will bat all day  and get a well deserved draw.
    Presume it's raining?  :D
  • Options
    If we somehow manage to bat all day, what sort of time would close of play be? 6:30am? 7am?
  • Options
    If we somehow manage to bat all day, what sort of time would close of play be? 6:30am? 7am?
    I would think closer to 7:30am unless there are biblical thunderstorms around 5-6am. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    7am U.K. I think…
  • Options
    What’s the weather like at the mo?
  • Options
    1 April 
  • Options
    What’s the weather like at the mo?
    "Bit overcast but dry and shouldn't be an issue for the start. Most of the rain is further north but we may get showers. 98 overs scheduled."
  • Options
    I might go to bed earlier then and set my alarm for 6.

Zak and Hameed should be near their centuries by then  ;)
  • Options
    Poor crowd, especially for a Sunday
  • Options
    So, no one thinking this is similar to Headingley 2019. 

Could we get 358 runs in a day...?  We still have Root, Bairstow, Stokes & Butler (if fit).

I reckon we have a sniff of getting out of there with a win. 
  • Options
    So, no one thinking this is similar to Headingley 2019. 

Could we get 358 runs in a day...?  We still have Root, Bairstow, Stokes & Butler (if fit).

I reckon we have a sniff of getting out of there with a win. 
    You ok poppette 😉
  • Options
    Hameed's painful innings at an end. Burns back in at Hobart?
  • Options

How's stat?!

Andy Zaltzman

BBC Test Match Special statistician

This is Zak Crawley's 18th Test innings since he made 267 against Pakistan. It is only the second time he has reached 30.

He has had 11 single-figure scores and hasn't scored as many runs in those 18 innings as he did in that one innings against Pakistan at Southampton.