Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    And to think, 2 weeks before the Ashes started Australia lost their captain / wicket keeper. 
  • Options
    I see that BT Sport couldn't even be bothered to cover the presentation live. Carried on chatting in the studio for a few minutes & then went to the adverts. 
  • Options
    Gilchrist doing his best to give Root some excuses for this abject performance. Root says "there's been small pockets" of success. He must have been using his microscope to find them because he can't be talking about the batting!
  • Options
    Can't wait for Harrison and the ECB to confirm when the CC games will be played this coming season 
  • Options
    Least we got the football team.
  • Options
    In the same way as Richardson was dropped having taken a 5 fer, so will Boland now. That says as much about the Aussie's bowling resources as it does our extremely frail batting line up
  • Options
    6-7 fucking hell.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Well done Moeen for saying it as it is "I'm not sure that we work on the right things". Trott goes on to say that "we are the only nation that has two short form tournaments". Trouble is we don't have two. We have three,
  • Options
    I don't know how Chris Silverwood had the gall to stand & say that. Was he watching the same game as us ?

He should be handing in his resignation now. They supposedly had a meeting after the 2nd Test & "kicked some backsides". 

Words.......just words.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounded like a football manager that had just lost to me; big on excuses and positives, low on reality. Not sure what's ever to be learned from post match interviews. 
  • Options
    Just listening to Harmison on BT Sport. 

As we've all said, need to play county cricket. Not The 100. Maybe forget Central contracts & make all players play for their counties again. 
  • Options
    Harmison "too much concentration on the commercial side of the game. I don't think we've seen red ball cricket as bad as it is currently"

Labushagne and Head played more CC games than the likes of Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler. Most of the Aussies don't just play Sheffield Shield they play Club cricket too - two day 90 overs a day matches, Ours are enjoying the benefits of being centrally contracted and playing in the likes of the IPL and The Hundred too.
  • Options

As we've all said, need to play county cricket. Not The 100. Maybe forget Central contracts & make all players play for their counties again. 
    That is what our players used to do - and had to face the likes of Garner, Roberts, Walsh, Akram, Holding, Hadlee etc etc season in season out. That's how you learn to play the longer form of the game
  • Options
    Wow. How much more embarrassing can it get?

• Options
    Pat Cummins is annoyingly likeable, I much prefer Aussie captains to be hate figures
    And this is a bloke who had repeated injury issues which meant a six year gap between his first and second appearances. It hasn't been all roses for him
  • Options
    Joe Root played the most exquisite and effortless straight drive for four that the commentators described as “the shot of the match”.  I’ll hang on to that memory and forget the rest of it.  Absolute rubbish.
  • Options

That is what our players used to do - and had to face the likes of Garner, Roberts, Walsh, Akram, Holding, Hadlee etc etc season in season out. That's how you learn to play the longer form of the game
    And would then get their arses handed to them by the Aussies in the ashes. This does feel like a new low, but let’s not pretend that, a few years aside around 2010, that we’ve been anything but second best for 30 years now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m feeling the need to post something but I don’t know where to start. These 12 days of Test cricket in Australia have been coming to us; it feels like the ECB has sleepwalked into it. To make it worse, I don’t believe this is a particularly great Aussie side.
  • Options
    Australia might not bat again in this test, just come home and save the inevitable.
    Didn't think i was going to be right when i hit the sack last night.
  • Options
    Not mine, someone on The Guardian over-by-over commentary:

My England team for the next Test,” says William Vincent.
    1. Laurel
    2. Hardy
    3. Morecambe
    4. Root (c)
    5. Wise
    6. Little
    7. Large
    8. Marx G (w)
    9. Robinson
    10. Wood
    11. Anderson

“Except, of course, that Robinson, Wood and Anderson will be rested for the more important fifth test and replaced by Marx H, French and Saunders.”

• Options
    Australia only score 267 and win by an innings. Let’s see root blame the bowling for this one. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021

And would then get their arses handed to them by the Aussies in the ashes. This does feel like a new low, but let’s not pretend that, a few years aside around 2010, that we’ve been anything but second best for 30 years now. 
    Second best in the Ashes yes but not consistently second best against everyone? In that 30 years how many times::

(1) How many times have we ever produced a run of Test match results of L L L D L D L W L L L L ? One win, two draws and nine defeats from 12 matches!
    (2) Were we all out twice in the space of two years for 67 and 68?
    (3) Did we have a second top run scorer in a whole calendar year barely reach 500 runs?
    (4) Did we have just four players in the County Championship reach the 1,000 run mark in a season. Batsmen used to do it by the end of May (an they have more matches to do so now anyway because of the ridiculous scheduling) and achieve 2,000 for the season. And they were facing the calibre of bowlers mentioned above too!

From the perspective of finding batsmen capable of playing Test cricket this is an all time low. Let's not pretend otherwise. Once our batsmen get to Test level against anything other than a poor Sri Lankan side we struggle
  • Options
    Could be Kent bias but I’d bring Billings in as keeper for the last two games.  
  • Options
    Can't wait for Harrison and the ECB to confirm when the CC games will be played this coming season 
    We need to work on red ball cricket development don't we, the opposite!!!!
  • Options

Definitely!