Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    Silverwood has to go 
  • Options
    Would love to see what percentage of balls we bowled would have hit the stumps. 
  • Options
    Golfie is leaning towards a drawn series now. 
  • Options
    saqib mahmood placed on standby for the ashes. Would be wise to call him up now. Really lacking options with pace. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Root not happy with the batsmen or the bowlers.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Would love to see what percentage of balls we bowled would have hit the stumps. 
    In the first innings it was 10% for both sides.
  • Options
    Yeah he’s pissed. In fairness cameras caught him multiple times during the Australian batting saying “fuller”. So is it a case of we just can’t execute, won’t listen to our captain or a bit of both? 
    The batting is just a shambles. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    he can attack the bowlers and their length, but they took 18 wickets and all 5 bowlers are fairly similar in pace and style, the batsman only scored 428 runs over two innings. Not good enough or "brave" enough in selection or batting imo, bowlers stuck to it fairly well tbh

• Options
    It sounds daft when someone has taken 635 test wickets, but Jimmy can sometimes bowl it too short, thus keeping it really tight, but not threatening to take a wicket enough.

In the second innings for example, he ended up with 1-8 off 10 overs. 

And while we took 18 wickets, 5 of those went to the part time spinners Root and Malan, so the 5 seamers got 13 wickets between them
  • Options
    Yeah he’s pissed. In fairness cameras caught him multiple times during the Australian batting saying “fuller”. So is it a case of we just can’t execute, won’t listen to our captain or a bit of both? 
    That's one thing he might struggle to do. Seb said that when he walked past him (after he had been hit in the nets in the unmentionables without a box) he looked in real trouble. To be hit in and around that area when batting in the middle won't have helped his physical or mental state.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Bowlers v Batters. It's a bit like the clean sheet v goals scored debate.

You can moan all you like about the bowlers not bowling the right length but it wouldn't matter too much if the batters were putting 400+ on the board every match. I think I heard that the Aussies have passed 400 in 6 out of 7 innings over the past 2 home Ashes series. On the other hand we recently have trouble getting to 300.
  • Options
    That's one thing he might struggle to do. Seb said that when he walked past him (after he had been hit in the nets in the unmentionables without a box) he looked in real trouble. To be hit in and around that area when batting in the middle won't have helped his physical or mental state.
    still cant believe he went into the nets without a box. Thats literally the first thing i put on when i know i'm going to be batting. 
  • Options
    It sounds daft when someone has taken 635 test wickets, but Jimmy can sometimes bowl it too short, thus keeping it really tight, but not threatening to take a wicket enough.

And while we took 18 wickets, 5 of those went to the part time spinners Root and Malan, so the 5 seamers got 13 wickets between them
    I think the bowlers got in their heads that these are Australian conditions (and probably bowled that length in the nets as evidenced by Root being hit on the head by Stokes) with extra bounce so they need to be bowling shorter. Trouble is the conditions were more English in nature where you need to get the batsmen on the front foot and not worrying in you're driven for a boundary in doing so. 
  • Options
    I'd never go into the nets without a box, yes they are uncomfortable but whats a lot more uncomfortable is getting a ball cut in and smash you in the nutbag. 
  • Options

I think the bowlers got in their heads that these are Australian conditions (and probably bowled that length in the nets as evidenced by Root being hit on the head by Stokes) with extra bounce so they need to be bowling shorter. Trouble is the conditions were more English in nature where you need to get the batsmen on the front foot and not worrying in you're driven for a boundary in doing so. 
    You could understand rookie bowlers not being able to react, but surely Broad and Anderson should have been able to spot it. Or the teams of analysts England have
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I'd never go into the nets without a box, yes they are uncomfortable but whats a lot more uncomfortable is getting a ball cut in and smash you in the nutbag. 
    i always joke that it takes away the damage, but doesnt take away much of the pain. Although clearly having them damaged would be a lot more painful!
  • Options
    WTF did Root bat in the nets without a box ... is that confirmed (i may have missed it if on this thread ) that's complete madness
  • Options
    WTF did Root bat in the nets without a box ... is that confirmed (i may have missed it if on this thread ) that's complete madness

It is what the commentators said so not confirmed but, as I say, Seb's words to me were "Root just came past me and Jas. He's in big trouble, could barely walk, onto hospital I think". Never had it confirmed that he went to hospital but the nature of how bad he was suggests he wasn't wearing one
  • Options
    That's beyond stupid , arrogant , amateur hour .... crazy in fact 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It is what the commentators said so not confirmed but, as I say, Seb's words to me were "Root just came past me and Jas. He's in big trouble, could barely walk, onto hospital I think". Never had it confirmed that he went to hospital but the nature of how bad he was suggests he wasn't wearing one
    The commentators said he had had to go to hospital to get it scanned which is why he did not field for quite a period. Brings a new meaning to the phrase ‘that’s plum’
  • Options
    still cant believe he went into the nets without a box. Thats literally the first thing i put on when i know i'm going to be batting. 
    It wasn't a proper net session though, just a few gentle throw downs from spin bowling coach Jeetan Patel

Root asked Patel to send down a few googlies...
  • Options
    Carter said:
    i always joke that it takes away the damage, but doesnt take away much of the pain. Although clearly having them damaged would be a lot more painful!
    I haven't been hit in the nuts by a cricket ball since 2004 and I can immediately recall, clearly the agony of that and I was wearing a box. Ball from a lanky public school prick bowled short and should have gone over my shoulder but stayed low and I wasn't even near playing and time slowed. I tried to stay on my feet,  couldn't, went down, refused all offers of help from the horse shaggers we were playing and after being offered and refusing deep heat and freeze spray from what was in the medical bag, checked my plums and re-took guard. 

I cannot imagine even getting a slow ball hit me in the scrot, lots of blokes I used to play with batted without a box, couple were very good and were never going to be hit let alone in the balls but the others to my mind were just thick. I never felt I lost any mobility by not wearing one and was happy to take time to adjust a box after running. 

When I went back to playing a couple of years ago I dug out my old guard and I would say it was among the worst, smelliest, dirtiest places on the planet. Still used it rather than borrow one or bat without until I bought a new one. 
  • Options
    It wasn't a proper net session though, just a few gentle throw downs from spin bowling coach Jeetan Patel

Root asked Patel to send down a few googlies...
    Even at 50mph it is going to hurt.

Almost as stupid as the keeper that takes balls from bowlers in the warm up without a helmet - despite the fact that the bounce is far more erratic on an unprepared strip on the edge of the square than it is in the middle. Or the dad feeding the ball from the bowling machine without any protection not anticipating that his son might hit it straight back at him!
  • Options
    Buttler and Crawley to open in the next game, Lawrence and Bairstow in at 6 and 7 (with Bairstow keeping) imo
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Or we give Hameed one more and Crawley plays instead of Lawrence
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Buttler and Crawley to open in the next game, Lawrence and Bairstow in at 6 and 7 (with Bairstow keeping) imo
    Pope's done enough to be sure of his place in your view? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Foakes is twice the keeper Bairstow will ever be.
  • Options
    Root's 'hit in the abdomen' has rekindled my memories of cricket at school where equipment was limited.

Who can forget the sense of unease as you accepted the school box from the previous batsman?

We were never coached by the PE teacher in the use of the box, so we would have to fumble around with the still warm thing hoping that you had it the right way up.  More than once it would fall out (the school box, that is) as we scampered a quick single.
  • Options
    Is Foakes even in Australia now? Very few of the A squad stayed on