Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Youth Cup - u18s v Worthing - live on CharltonTV

Comments

• Options
    What’s promising is that we look like we have sine good strikers coming through - something we’ve not been great at - like the look of Leaburn in particular 
  • Options
    Worthing Penalty 
  • Options
    1-3 pen
  • Options
    Attendance 485
  • Options
    Gone very quiet 
  • Options
    Gone very quiet 
    Finished 1-3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    We very much took our foot off the gas for the second half. I however had the pleasure of spending it in the company of a very proud Mrs Leaburn.

solid performance with good defending when needed.  Fair play to Worthing as they were a decent side
    The second game in 2 days where the non league side have impressed against pro outfit. I presume that Worthing are like Erith Town and have college/academy set up. It’s obviously working as 20 years ago when I played, the gap was ridiculous. Can only be good for the game.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss Marcus, a really nice touch from the club though.

Things are a work in progress on the pitch, but we're first class off the pitch.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss Marcus, a really nice touch from the club though.

Things are a work in progress on the pitch, but we're first class off the pitch.

Thanks Chris , yeah an absolutely brilliant touch . Was very surprised to see Jacko make the trip down here , not sure if many clubs first team managers would trek down to Sussex on a Thursday night to watch an FA Youth Cup tie. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Thought it was a decent game, good crowd and a nice football ground. Beadle made 2 class saves in first 30 seconds. Worthing number 9 caused problems for 45 mins before tiring. 

Wasn’t overly impressed with Kanu, but he scored so can’t have been that poor. Beadle looks like a professional in the making.

Brought back memories hearing Leaburn announced as the goalscorer. Leaburn, Leaburn.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I must admit, I was expecting a bit more but you do get these performances with young players and it was a comfortable win.

When you watch Leaburn play, you can see his dad in terms of the style. I think he has a lot of potential, but I'd like to see a bit more aggression from him. Really try to bully defenders.

Performance wise, Campbell was the pick for me.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Johnnie Jackson could've watched that game last night in the comfort of his house.
    But he wanted to be there not to manage, that's Hamza Serrar Job with this group, but to inspire and let's the lads know that the gateway to the first team squad exists.
    (Via the U23)

Deji Elerewe and Mason Burstow are prime examples that it's possible to get pro contracts at Cafc and be given opportunities for progress. Deji joined when he was 13 and Mason later at 16 from Maidstone.

• Options
    I thought Asiimwe was interesting to watch. Frequently involved, sort of strong yet not especially mobile, very involved throughout who got better as the match progressed. That Okechukwu looked scarily quick from a standing start. One to keep an eye on.
  • Options
    Seen a few people mention Worthing's #9 , he's one hell of a prospect for a first year U18. Would be very very surprised if we hold onto him much longer , just coming back to full fitness after an injury in preseason and definitely caused some problems. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaburn's level dropped second half as did rest of the team - the skipper was good and the right back a real mixed bag - some great stuff and some poor stuff but ability -   kedwell neat and tidy, centre half quite old school but decent - can see why kanu is talked about although on yesterday's showing there was only a couple of moments and campbell on the other side had more impact generally - their forward Starkey looked good although also faded second half - Beadle was quality as always. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Leaburn's level dropped second half as did rest of the team - the skipper was good and the right back a real mixed bag - some great stuff and some poor stuff but ability -   kedwell neat and tidy, centre half quite old school but decent - can see why kanu is talked about although on yesterday's showing there was only a couple of moments and campbell on the other side had more impact generally - their forward Starkey looked good although also faded second half - Beadle was quality as always. 
    Miles Leaburn is recovering from an injury to his ankle which he sustained very shortly after a period of Covid - consequently this was only his third 90 minutes of the season and his second in 5 days so he was knackered.
    Kanu was played a little wider than a central striker which may have affected his performance but he is still only 16 so effectively playing up a year.

Really enjoyable match to be fair - there is a great spirit and togetherness in the squad.  There were also a few faces there last night who were newer to me so there is strength in depth too.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Kanu was out of position and didn’t have a great day at the office, but he still got a goal and assist
  • Options
    Charlton’s youngsters at home to AFC Wimbledon in the next round of the FA Youth Cup. Matches to be played before Saturday 20th November. 
  • Options
    I remember losing to Man United in QF in 2012, but what is the furthest Charlton have been in the Youth Cup before? 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I remember losing to Man United in QF in 2012, but what is the furthest Charlton have been in the Youth Cup before? 
    The final in 1987, lost 2-1 to Coventry on aggregate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypbj0u_HwPk&t=9s

• Options
    yes that was some game and if I remember rightly it went to extra time and near the end one of our players had to leave the pitch as he had blood on his shirt and while off Man Utd scored
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    yes that was some game and if I remember rightly it went to extra time and near the end one of our players had to leave the pitch as he had blood on his shirt and while off Man Utd scored
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-youth-3-charlton-683356

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/46568/manchester-utd-yth-v-charlton-ath-yth-fa-youth-cup-quarter-final-29-february-2012-match-thread/p1

https://www.charltonlive.co.uk/2012/03/02/fa-youth-cup-addicks-dream-ends-in-old-trafford-heartbreak-29022012/#more-1442

Charlton: Phillips; Cousins, Fox, Ajayi, Lennon; Poyet, Holmes-Dennis, Muldoon, Harriott; Sho-Silva, Pigott

Subs: Osborne, Gerard, Derry, Brown, Azeez

Man Utd: Sutherland, Grimshaw, Blackett, Ioannou, McCullough, Rudge (Ekangamene 88), Barmby (Gorre 90), Hendrie (Wilson 55), Byrne, Daehli, Van Velzen.