Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 January transfer window thread - Non Charlton, other transfers (D Day p52)

Comments

• Options
    Mason Burstow is playing for the U23 this season so won't be getting the same service as last season as the team changes a lot as players go out on loan or are called up to the 1st team squad. Just like this season the U18'S won most games and created a lots of chances.
    He scores different types of goals and is ahead of both Michael Smith and even Joe Pigott at the same age. Joe had great games for the U23 and I saw him score 4 in a strong side under Jones (Luton manager)

Mason is a good prospect who looks a natural where both Smith and Pigott took time to be 1st team players away from Cafc.
  • Options
    Maybe, maybe not but we have a decent team/squad and with them all pulling together under Jackson it's not impossible. It's not like we're going away to Wigan, Sheff Weds and Ipswich in that run of games.

If we play like we did against Sunderland and Rotherham it's very possible to go on a run. Obviously if we play like we did under Adkins we've got no chance.
    I fully expect this squad to go on a run and win more games than we lose. 

I just don’t think we have enough time to force out the other promotion challengers. This is a much harder league than last year where we saw Oxford and Blackpool make late surges. 

Both those sides had a way of playing at the start of the season and recruited to match that system. Jackson is left to pick up the pieces of Adkins’ failed 4-3-3 and is having to make do with what he’s got. Like I say, I think we’ll go close but I can’t see us making it all the way. 
  • Options
    I guess the million dollar question is can the players keep up the intensity they are playing at since Jacko took over? If they are still doing it by the time the January window comes round then i'd go the extra mile to bring in another striker who might get us over the line (assuming one is available) but if we look unlikely to reach the playoffs, better off giving Davison and Burstow some vaulable 1st team game time and do the transfer business in the summer  
  • Options
    The other factor is the PFA case against the EFL on the squad size rules?  Any news on that?
  • Options
    But is CBT going to make it as a wing-back?
  • Options
    I don’t see the point of spending much money in January, unless there’s some real bargains out there.

We’re not going to make the top 6, we’d have to have title winning form for the rest of the season - as well as relying on other teams to capitulate. I fully a expect a couple of the current top 6 to fall away, but there’s Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Lincoln, etc. all ahead of us to take those spots.

Hopefully we go into January with a settled management team and they can start to mould the squad in anticipation for a title charge next season.
    Still 2 months to go before January, so plenty of points to play for. By then we'll be able to see whether promotion this season is realistic or not
    I love the optimism but I don’t see any reality where we’re close to 6th come May. Far too many good sides this year and we threw away 12 games 
    We are 11 points off 6th with 30 games to go. Not 5-10 games, 30! It's certainly not impossible.

There are some good sides but i don't agree there are "far too many good sides". We've beaten Sunderland and should've beaten Rotherham and they're in the top 5.

Burton away (draw)
    Plymouth home (win)
    Morecambe away (win)
    Shrewsbury away (win)
    Ipswich home (draw)
    Cambridge home (win)
    Plymouth away (lose)
    Wimbledon away (draw)
    Gillingham home (win)
    Wycombe home (draw)
    Crewe away (win)
    Cheltenham away (win)

are our games up until mid-January. Plymouth are flying and Ipswich and Wycombe are tough teams, but no reason at all we couldn't take 25 points from those 12 games (my predictions in the brackets).

That would give us 41 points from 28 games and have us right in the play off picture. 2 points per game average from now until the end will be enough. Tough but by no means impossible. 

That’s title winning form, without any slip ups, for 30 games. Sunderland and Oxford also have games in hand which would extend the deficit to 14 points should either win. 

You’re predicting us to lose only 1 of our next 12, which doesn’t seem feasible to me. 
    Our benchmark now has to be Blackpool and Oxford who had shocking starts last year but ended up top six.

After 16 games, Charlton have 16 points and are 11 points from 6th.

After 16 games, Oxford had 16 points and were 13 points from 6th. They picked up 58 points from the remaining 30 games to finish 6th.

After 16 games, Blackpool had 23 points and were 6 points from 6th. They picked up 57 points from the remaining 30 games to finish 3rd.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    But is CBT going to make it as a wing-back?
    Probably not as first choice but if you have a team under the cudgle or you want pace to bring off the bench as a threat he's not a bad option to have. Plus if we need to change shape then he's done very well as a traditional winger. 

I suspect practicality means he will go unless we can clear someone else first or there's a development in the squad size rules but I would like him to stay if possible. 
  • Options
    Watson to Bromley. You heard it here first. Whether it will be January or in the summer we shall see.

A lot depends on how soon JFC, Lavelle and Innis are expected back.

Even we Deje we need another centre back either a new signing or an injured player back (although Gunter, Souare, Purrington, Matthews and now even Clare are capable of filling in there so JJ may not see it as a priority.

Arter will be an expensive player to have on the bench so they must be thinking about ending his loan.

Lee is worth signing permanently in the money is there and I'd like to see CBT sign on for longer.  He's not really had a chance to show us waht he can do under the new regime but he has pace, power and a trick or two.  With Leko out for we don't know how long we need cover for DJ at least.

Another striker would be great.  Maybe when Arter goes back there might be a forward at Forest who could do a job in this division?
    Watson could sign for Bromley tomorrow or in February...... He apparently had talks in the summer.  Probably knows Woodman from Palace, in the same way time works in Reading. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Watson to Bromley. You heard it here first. Whether it will be January or in the summer we shall see.

Even we Deje we need another centre back either a new signing or an injured player back (although Gunter, Souare, Purrington, Matthews and now even Clare are capable of filling in there so JJ may not see it as a priority.

Arter will be an expensive player to have on the bench so they must be thinking about ending his loan.

Lee is worth signing permanently in the money is there and I'd like to see CBT sign on for longer.  He's not really had a chance to show us waht he can do under the new regime but he has pace, power and a trick or two.  With Leko out for we don't know how long we need cover for DJ at least.

Another striker would be great.  Maybe when Arter goes back there might be a forward at Forest who could do a job in this division?
    Watson could sign for Bromley tomorrow or in February...... He apparently had talks in the summer.  Probably knows Woodman from Palace, in the same way time works in Reading. 
    I can't see it happening until JFC is ready to return, which hopefully will be before the January window
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I can't see it happening until JFC is ready to return, which hopefully will be before the January window
    I can't see it happening at all, not with the way Bromley set up and try and play but you never know.  If he goes to a national league side it doesn't have to be inside the window though. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I can't see it happening at all, not with the way Bromley set up and try and play but you never know.  If he goes to a national league side it doesn't have to be inside the window though. 
    I think it's more that we wouldn't want to release Watson without a replacement in the squad and if JFC wasn't ready by January, it might be a risk letting Watson go in January if JFC wasn't going to be back until February or March. Can players be brought into the squad and removed again, as we have Dempsey who's outside the squad at the moment and could do a job in the short term

I still think we need another CB, though that might depend on when Lavelle is back. If he's back by January, when we should have enough there, assuming Inniss plays a reasonable number of games for the rest of the season
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

well he won't get in our vets side thats for sure - we're very well stocked with past it plodding midfielders 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

well he won't get in our vets side thats for sure - we're very well stocked with past it plodding midfielders 
    Ha ha ha a Watson is slow joke they just get better and better it must be at least 10 minutes since someone else made one. 

They are just so funny and original 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think it's more that we wouldn't want to release Watson without a replacement in the squad and if JFC wasn't ready by January, it might be a risk letting Watson go in January if JFC wasn't going to be back until February or March. Can players be brought into the squad and removed again, as we have Dempsey who's outside the squad at the moment and could do a job in the short term

I still think we need another CB, though that might depend on when Lavelle is back. If he's back by January, when we should have enough there, assuming Inniss plays a reasonable number of games for the rest of the season
    I think Watson's short term future is more dependent on Arter than JFC.  I still fully expect Watson to be back in the first team by Christmas.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think Watson's short term future is more dependent on Arter than JFC.  I still fully expect Watson to be back in the first team by Christmas.  
    In place of who? Dobson won't lose his place short of injury/suspension, Watson does not remotely have the skill set to replace Gilbey or Lee. Clare would be much more logical as cover for any of them, as he is able to actually run.

He may end up in and around the squad as cover in busy periods but "back in the first team"? No chance. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Ha ha ha a Watson is slow joke they just get better and better it must be at least 10 minutes since someone else made one. 

They are just so funny and original 
    Wasn’t the most cutting edge of jokes admittedly but when I want your view on that I’ll ask for it - touchy 
  • Options
    Sign Lee for a start. 
    Charlton TV will definitely bring Robert Lee back when we play Gillingham again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Buy a CAFC 2022 Calendar as soon as they are available and you will see who is leaving us 😀
    I wonder when the printing deadline for it was. We'll find out, if it still has photos of Adkins  :D
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

In place of who? Dobson won't lose his place short of injury/suspension, Watson does not remotely have the skill set to replace Gilbey or Lee. Clare would be much more logical as cover for any of them, as he is able to actually run.

He may end up in and around the squad as cover in busy periods but "back in the first team"? No chance. 
    I am willing to put money on it.  Not saying I want him to or think he should be, just that I think he will be. 
  • Options
    Buy a CAFC 2022 Calendar as soon as they are available and you will see who is leaving us 😀
    I wonder when the printing deadline for it was. We'll find out, if it still has photos of Adkins  :D
    That’s what the late night board meeting was about after the accrington game
  • Options
    I'm only interested in which Matt Smith we can sign
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I am willing to put money on it.  Not saying I want him to or think he should be, just that I think he will be. 
    Depends on what you mean by "in the first team." Because if that means he features in the squsd/team again, that's probably going to be the case in a season with a squad size limit. But of you mean as a first choice when all others are fut/available then I really don't see it. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't even want Watson if I was a Bromley fan.

He is utter garbage and rich enough not to care. 

He was our worst type of acquisition. 

1) ex Palace, 2) old, 3) legs gone, 4) so rich he doesn't care, 5) so close to home he doesn't care and 6) ex Palace.  

We are a minor footnote and convenience at the end of his career.  I hope I never see him in the Charlton shirt again.
  • Options
    I think someone listed all the players coming off contract on CharltonLive can anyone list them here and then ...discuss!
  • Options
    Wouldn’t mind us looking at Godwin-Malife at Forest Green. Centre back / Right back I think

i liked at him last season and he was very decent but doesn’t appear to have featured too much this season 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I know for sure that a certain Burton player impressed both Steve Gallen and Jed Roddy…..but don’t think it’s appropriate to mention their name just incase moves in that direction are possible further down the line.
    He impressed me too as a matter of fact.