Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 January transfer window thread - Non Charlton, other transfers (D Day p52)

Comments

• Options
    So with Deji signing how does that shift things around ? 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Much depends on if Jacko is still here and we decide to stick with formation as it and if that is the case one or two of the more out and out wingers might be surplus to requirements, for me Arter, Watson, Soare , Kirk , CBT and Morgan could all move on 
    Morgan needs to go out on loan.
    Soare is cover for Purrington and could be very good as a wingback.
    Arter is probably the best cover for Dobbo.
    CBT offers something different if we need to nick a goal.

Kirk is on a long contract and I am not sure we have seen the best of him yet, but he is surplus at his present level with JJ’s system.

Watson is surplus to requirements.
    You'd hope not.
  • Options
    I don’t see the point of spending much money in January, unless there’s some real bargains out there.

We’re not going to make the top 6, we’d have to have title winning form for the rest of the season - as well as relying on other teams to capitulate. I fully a expect a couple of the current top 6 to fall away, but there’s Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Lincoln, etc. all ahead of us to take those spots.

Hopefully we go into January with a settled management team and they can start to mould the squad in anticipation for a title charge next season.
    Still 2 months to go before January, so plenty of points to play for. By then we'll be able to see whether promotion this season is realistic or not
    I love the optimism but I don’t see any reality where we’re close to 6th come May. Far too many good sides this year and we threw away 12 games 
    We are 11 points off 6th with 30 games to go. Not 5-10 games, 30! It's certainly not impossible.

There are some good sides but i don't agree there are "far too many good sides". We've beaten Sunderland and should've beaten Rotherham and they're in the top 5.

Burton away (draw)
    Plymouth home (win)
    Morecambe away (win)
    Shrewsbury away (win)
    Ipswich home (draw)
    Cambridge home (win)
    Plymouth away (lose)
    Wimbledon away (draw)
    Gillingham home (win)
    Wycombe home (draw)
    Crewe away (win)
    Cheltenham away (win)

are our games up until mid-January. Plymouth are flying and Ipswich and Wycombe are tough teams, but no reason at all we couldn't take 25 points from those 12 games (my predictions in the brackets).

That would give us 41 points from 28 games and have us right in the play off picture. 2 points per game average from now until the end will be enough. Tough but by no means impossible. 

• Options
    We need a striker or two .  If we can get anyone decent, that could be the game changer.  Ideally another midfielder, unless JfC gets up to speed quickly 
  • Options
    I don’t see the point of spending much money in January, unless there’s some real bargains out there.

We’re not going to make the top 6, we’d have to have title winning form for the rest of the season - as well as relying on other teams to capitulate. I fully a expect a couple of the current top 6 to fall away, but there’s Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Lincoln, etc. all ahead of us to take those spots.

Hopefully we go into January with a settled management team and they can start to mould the squad in anticipation for a title charge next season.
    Still 2 months to go before January, so plenty of points to play for. By then we'll be able to see whether promotion this season is realistic or not
    I love the optimism but I don’t see any reality where we’re close to 6th come May. Far too many good sides this year and we threw away 12 games 
    We are 11 points off 6th with 30 games to go. Not 5-10 games, 30! It's certainly not impossible.

There are some good sides but i don't agree there are "far too many good sides". We've beaten Sunderland and should've beaten Rotherham and they're in the top 5.

Burton away (draw)
    Plymouth home (win)
    Morecambe away (win)
    Shrewsbury away (win)
    Ipswich home (draw)
    Cambridge home (win)
    Plymouth away (lose)
    Wimbledon away (draw)
    Gillingham home (win)
    Wycombe home (draw)
    Crewe away (win)
    Cheltenham away (win)

are our games up until mid-January. Plymouth are flying and Ipswich and Wycombe are tough teams, but no reason at all we couldn't take 25 points from those 12 games (my predictions in the brackets).

That would give us 41 points from 28 games and have us right in the play off picture. 2 points per game average from now until the end will be enough. Tough but by no means impossible. 

That’s title winning form, without any slip ups, for 30 games. Sunderland and Oxford also have games in hand which would extend the deficit to 14 points should either win. 

You’re predicting us to lose only 1 of our next 12, which doesn’t seem feasible to me. 
  • Options
    Maybe, maybe not but we have a decent team/squad and with them all pulling together under Jackson it's not impossible. It's not like we're going away to Wigan, Sheff Weds and Ipswich in that run of games.

If we play like we did against Sunderland and Rotherham it's very possible to go on a run. Obviously if we play like we did under Adkins we've got no chance.
  • Options

Burton away (draw)
    Plymouth home (win)
    Morecambe away (win)
    Shrewsbury away (win)
    Ipswich home (draw)
    Cambridge home (win)
    Plymouth away (lose)
    Wimbledon away (draw)
    Gillingham home (win)
    Wycombe home (draw)
    Crewe away (win)
    Cheltenham away (win)

That’s title winning form, without any slip ups, for 30 games. Sunderland and Oxford also have games in hand which would extend the deficit to 14 points should either win. 

You’re predicting us to lose only 1 of our next 12, which doesn’t seem feasible to me. 
    I fully believe this squad could turn in that sort of run, I also fully believe they could win 5 out of the next 20.

We have been in either automatic, if not title winning, or relegation form for over a year now.  No in between.   If we can find away to play badly and win and not totally derail at the first bump in the road, then title winning form isn't beyond them. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Burton away (draw)
    Plymouth home (win)
    Morecambe away (win)
    Shrewsbury away (win)
    Ipswich home (draw)
    Cambridge home (win)
    Plymouth away (lose)
    Wimbledon away (draw)
    Gillingham home (win)
    Wycombe home (draw)
    Crewe away (win)
    Cheltenham away (win)

So 1 defeat in our next 12 matches.

Can I have whatever it is your are on please as it must be good stuff.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    If you could find takers/pay off contracts then the players to move on for me are Innis, Watson, Arter, Clare and Davisson.  Not seen enough of Soure or CBT to decide and Morgan is too young to make a difference.  

With JFC back in place of Schwartz we have a full squad so I would target the players above to move IF suitable enforcements could be found.  Then try to convince Famewo and maybe Leko (worried about his injury record) to sign perms.

Probably need a CB still even with Elerwere signed up. Definitely need a striker.  Then maybe a Lee backup/replacement and a young promising LB (unlikely to be the right window to acquire).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can’t believe I am saying this but we need another central midfielder.  If Dobson or Gilbey were to get injured,  we are screwed,  Arter, Watson and Morgan don’t fit JJs high tempo style and JFC is a wildcard because we don’t know how he is going to be coming back from another major injury.  I also think we need a CB,  still not completely convinced with our back three
  • Options
    I can’t believe I am saying this but we need another central midfielder.  If Dobson or Gilbey were to get injured,  we are screwed,  Arter, Watson and Morgan don’t fit JJs high tempo style and JFC is a wildcard because we don’t know how he is going to be coming back from another major injury.  I also think we need a CB,  still not completely convinced with our back three
    We don't know that though. 3 weeks ago, if somebody had said that Leko and DJ would make decent wing backs, they would have got 30 lols! Or derisive comparison to Paul Smyth last season.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    We don't know that though. 3 weeks ago, if somebody had said that Leko and DJ would make decent wing backs, they would have got 30 lols! Or derisive comparison to Paul Smyth last season.
    I think at least Watson doesn't, if JJ demands endless running!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Or any running.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Or any running.
    If JJ demanded endless waddling, he'd be a key player.
  • Options
    I think if Arter can get/stay fit he can play a similar role to Dobson in protecting the back 3/4. He was good in that role  in the Fleetwood game before he got injured
  • Options
    Problem is that the exact reasons we want to move Inniss/Watson on are the exact same reason we are very unlikely to find anyone to actually take them.
  • Options
    If our form's patchy over the next few weeks but we're good enough to pull clear of the relegation places it might be an idea to hold fire on the January signings and use that rest of the season as a free hit to blood our young players. The experience they'd gain could set them and the club up nicely for the future.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Problem is that the exact reasons we want to move Inniss/Watson on are the exact same reason we are very unlikely to find anyone to actually take them.
    You would easily find a taker for Watson if he was prepared to live more than 30 minutes from his house.  He isn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    You would easily find a taker for Watson if he was prepared to live more than 30 minutes from his house.  He isn't. 
    Sutton might take him? 
  • Options
    I think I am right that Tucker and Dempsey only have 6months left on contracts at Gills.  We were linked before and went back for Kirk after failing first window....

No idea of strengths/merits of either but Lavelle, Elerwere, Tucker and Famewo would be a very young 4 CB group with potential and allow us to release Innis in summer and move Pearce to a more full time coaching roll maybe.
  • Options
    Precisely. CAN we? Yes, absolutely. WILL we? Who knows, probably not but how great is it that the players have us dreaming again not dreading games 
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Burton away (draw)
    Plymouth home (win)
    Morecambe away (win)
    Shrewsbury away (win)
    Ipswich home (draw)
    Cambridge home (win)
    Plymouth away (lose)
    Wimbledon away (draw)
    Gillingham home (win)
    Wycombe home (draw)
    Crewe away (win)
    Cheltenham away (win)

It’s unlikely but not impossible, another way to do it is it to turn a couple of those draws into wins. Far better to win 2 and lose 2 than draw 4. It can be done without a Huddersfield style unbeaten run.
  • Options
    When you take over a team in 22nd place in League 1 and a majority of your fans have called "the worst Charlton team ever" then it's a quantum leap to be in contention for a top six place within 3 matches !

Pleased I said JJ would revitalise this squad if given a chance and put the pride back in the players and fans.

Clichés corner: 1 game at a time and let's see where we are when the next window opens ?

League 1 players need a simple template and concise instructions;  at last that is now happening under Jackson.

Saw a guys who coaches at Sparrows lane with a young age group, at an adult game away from the valley and he said the atmosphere and intensity have improved so much since JJ became care taker boss.
    He said Nigel Adkins was a great guy and everyone liked him on a personal level but he was struggling to get the best out of the team as we all could see in matches.

• Options
    So the next question will be is Burstow enough of an addition to our front third. Hopefully he’ll get more game time in the league cup. Too soon to answer that question for now.
  • Options
    When you take over a team in 22nd place in League 1 and a majority of your fans have called "the worst Charlton team ever" then it's a quantum leap to be in contention for a top six place within 3 matches !

"Most underperforming team" might be a better description, as there was clearly decent individual talent out there
  • Options
    ^ a couple of decent finishes for the first team and 2 nice goals in the U18's v Birmingham in the SF of the cup last year have shot him to a bit of fame amongst Charlton fans.  Maybe a fairer way to judge is his scoring record last year and this year for the kids teams overall?  No idea if it is impressive or not, does anyone know?