Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

God Save Our Queen - Funeral will be Mon 19th September (p26)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    MrWalker said:
    Interesting seating arrangements.
    Aerial view of guests seated in the abbey
    The Queen of Denmark is (very distant) family. Pretty much all European monarchs are related to Queen Victoria if you search the family tree hard enough, but if I remember right from Prince Philip's funeral I think he thought of himself as Danish rather than Greek, so they're probably reasonably closely related if anyone has the patience to look it up. The Emperor of Japan will have been near the front I assume on some sort of basis that monarchs outrank presidents.

As for Macron sitting nearer the front than Biden, that's either some complex rule of precedent based on some obscure technicality or else top level trolling.

*This is like watching Dave, it's a repeat*

The reason Joe Biden was seated near the back was because it was nearer to the loo.

Edited 🤦🏻‍♂️ I will have to start reading from the last Post 🎺 as great minds think alike!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Q. If Prince Andrew had been the eldest of  Queen Elizabeth's four Children wouldn't the Monarchy have crashed and burned or would people like sheep still have sang God save the King and forgiven Andrew's misdemeanors ?

@se9addick @bobmunro and others know their history and who becomes the monarch is down to shagging ability, the biggest and strongest fan base, fate and being the winner in war. The 'British Royal' family is an amalgam of European blood and since the beginning very few have had the qualities to carry out the job. 

The strength of the monarchy is Queen Elizabeth II,  but the weakness of having a hereditary Monarchy is Edward VIII turns up and if it wasn't for his love for Wallis Simpson and his abdication, his naive respect for Hitler would have been a disaster for the Royal house of Windsor AKA Saxe-coberg + gotta* during the  '30s and into WW2.

* Name change 1917 in WW1 as name was a bad look !
  • Options
    I wonder if Harry, having become a "Royal" again for a few days, might be reconsidering some of his actions, including that book he's writing

He's angry and internally isolated.

He is still in pain over the loss of his mother. It is a permanent scar that will not leave. 

If you multiply your life problems by being famous...it is likely to make things worse. 

The book will probably get his personal thoughts out in the open. 

We all need a moan
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Q. If Prince Andrew had been the eldest of  Queen Elizabeth's four Children wouldn't the Monarchy have crashed and burned or would people like sheep still have sang God save the King and forgiven Andrew's misdemeanors ?

@se9addick @bobmunro and others know their history and who becomes the monarch is down to shagging ability, the biggest and strongest fan base, fate and being the winner in war. The 'British Royal' family is an amalgam of European blood and since the beginning very few have had the qualities to carry out the job. 

The strength of the monarchy is Queen Elizabeth II,  but the weakness of having a hereditary Monarchy is Edward VIII turns up and if it wasn't for his love for Wallis Simpson and his abdication, his naive respect for Hitler would have been a disaster for the Royal house of Windsor AKA Saxe-coberg + gotta* during the  '30s and into WW2.

To quote Bob Dylan 'Sweetheart Like You'.

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.
    Steal a lot and they make you King.

Edit: Probably one for the House of Commoners
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    se9addick said:

It’s an interesting question. I think, had Andrew been the eldest son, he would have been “encouraged” to abdicate. The late Queen’s uncle had to abdicate over simply having a relationship with a divorced woman (which was a blessing, he would have been a rubbish King and we never would have had the best in modern times - QE2 - had that not taken place), so there is precedent. 

In that alternate universe we would be crowning Queen Beatrice in the Spring! 

Fergie as the Queen Mother 🙄
  • Options
    If Andrew had been heir to the throne, he would have had a different life and upbringing, so may have turned out different.

King peado 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    The Queen of Denmark is (very distant) family. Pretty much all European monarchs are related to Queen Victoria if you search the family tree hard enough, but if I remember right from Prince Philip's funeral I think he thought of himself as Danish rather than Greek, so they're probably reasonably closely related if anyone has the patience to look it up. The Emperor of Japan will have been near the front I assume on some sort of basis that monarchs outrank presidents.

As for Macron sitting nearer the front than Biden, that's either some complex rule of precedent based on some obscure technicality or else top level trolling.

*This is like watching Dave, it's a repeat*

The reason Joe Biden was seated near the back was because it was nearer to the loo.

Edited 🤦🏻‍♂️ I will have to start reading from the last Post 🎺 as great minds think alike!
    was because the senile ol bugger is acting the goat over US trade agreements with the UK  :D  
  • Options
    The idea that Biden was placed where he was by the British establishment and not by the US security services is quite funny. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andrew certainly wouldn't have had the leeway to form a friendship with somebody like Epstein. But it is his fault he did and nobody can or should make excuses for him though.
  • Options
    Andrew certainly wouldn't have had the leeway to form a friendship with somebody like Epstein. But it is his fault he did and nobody can or should make excuses for him though.
    Nobody is making excuses for him, but it's a fact that the role of the heir to the throne is very different from that of other Royals, as from a young age their whole life is geared towards taking on the main job, and thus have an actual job to prepare for. Elizabeth and Margaret is another example of this.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    25 Years of Grand Theft Auto Game Design History - 27 Images - Version  Museum
  • Options
    We was the last monarch to have been born as heir to the throne and then acceded to the position and stayed there until they died? 

I know that's the general idea, but when (ie how many monarchs ago) did it last actually happen? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    We was the last monarch to have been born as heir to the throne and then acceded to the position and stayed there until they died? 

I know that's the general idea, but when (ie how many monarchs ago) did it last actually happen? 
    Edward VIII, more than a hundred years ago, apparently. Unless anyone knows different. 
  • Options
    Think you've got one too many I's there Chizz, as Edward VIII was the one that abdicated.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Think you've got one too many I's there Chizz, as Edward VIII was the one that abdicated.
    Thank you. 

You're right, of course. Edward VII was the last person to have been born first inline to the throne, and to have died while still monarch. 
  • Options
    And the soonest it could happen again, if William lives to the same age as his paternal grandmother, would be 2078.
  • Options
    Macron and the French have been very gracious and respectful over the last 2 weeks. I guess they have an interesting relationship with royalty, with Monaco on their doorstep, plus having been where Edward VIII and Wallis lived.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I visited Green Park this afternoon to see the flowers and cards left there, well worth a visit if you haven't been there yet.

Workmen are busy removing much of the infrastructure that had been installed over the last week
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I've learned so much about royal stuff recently that I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not a royalist. I'm more a republican who admired the Queen as an individual and respected the way she stayed out of the way of the elected politicians. 

I really liked the short piece by Lewis Goodall, who used to do political analysis for Newsnight but is with LBC nowadays, musing on why so many people who aren't royalists were so caught up in the funeral.

As a test for my newly-acquired knowledge of things royal, I think the job of throwing an errant president out of the Abbey would have fallen to the blokes with the swan feathers on their helmets?
    30 seconds in he turns to his left as if to prove his point that people are having their pictures taken in front of the queue.

Except Tower Bridge is just out of shot to the right there, so what was the more likely object of that particular photo?
  • Options
    I visited Green Park this afternoon to see the flowers and cards left there, well worth a visit if you haven't been there yet.

Workmen are busy removing much of the infrastructure that had been installed over the last week
    Is it busy up there , Mrs wants to go up there Monday for a wander 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Conspiracy theory time: No way did Her Majesty die of ‘old age’. Google ‘causes of death’ and you won’t find ‘old age’ on the list ANYWHERE! The word is that she had either bone or pancreatic cancer and that she had a fall soon after she met Liz Truss; any or all of which probably explain her sad demise. Feels like a cover up to me. Perhaps we are too irrelevant to deserve to be told the truth. Stuff like that will always annoy and bother me.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    ...because, as I said, nobody actually dies of ‘old age’! Look it up! Maybe ‘cover up’ is a better description.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Conspiracy theory time: No way did Her Majesty die of ‘old age’. Google ‘causes of death’ and you won’t find ‘old age’ on the list ANYWHERE! The word is that she had either bone or pancreatic cancer and that she had a fall soon after she met Liz Truss; any or all of which probably explain her sad demise. Feels like a cover up to me. Perhaps we are too irrelevant to deserve to be told the truth. Stuff like that will always annoy and bother me.
    Whose “word” ?
  • Options
    From the bbc. 

Old age" is only usually given as the sole cause of death in very limited circumstances.

This would be where the certifying doctor has personally cared for someone over a long period; where a gradual decline has been observed and where a doctor is not aware of any identifiable disease or injury contributing to a death

• Options
    My 94 year old ma in law died 10 months ago.
    1 Frailty of old age
    2 Dementia, Cardiovascular Disease. 

It wasn't the dementia that killed her imo - I've seen far far worse.
    She didn't have a heart attack or stroke in the short term before she died.
    So yes she died of old age.
  • Options
    My 94 year old ma in law died 10 months ago.
    1 Frailty of old age
    2 Dementia, Cardiovascular Disease. 

It wasn't the dementia that killed her imo - I've seen far far worse.
    She didn't have a heart attack or stroke in the short term before she died.
    So yes she died of old age.
    Yeh, I'm no expert but surely the major organs can eventually start to close down without any specific trigger or traumatic event