Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

God Save Our Queen - Funeral will be Mon 19th September (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Incredible event - I am very patriotic, but I can’t describe myself as an out and out monarchist (I have my views on certain members of the Royal Family, one in particular !!) - but The Queen is above and beyond by a country mile - a fitting send off - my word, the British know how to put on a ‘show’ - no other country could pull off anything like today

As an aside, I noted how men much taller than The King were placed ‘around’ him on the walk to the hearse - no surprise there - the Police Commander for today will have had the most stressful job - basically shitting himself for hours

RIP The Queen

Long live The King

Born British - you have won the lottery of life

🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Quite a few horses struggling now.

Not really fair on them to be put through all of this. 

It's been very emotional. Beautiful even in places.
  • Options
    I must admit that if I had been there, I would have taken a photo. I think it's understandable 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Was just thinking how even sadder it would have been if the Queen had passed away during the lockdown. The ceremony and pageantry today has been incredible and it would have been so sad if this had not all been possible to give the Queen such a send off.
    That’s a good point. It doesn’t bear thinking about, the events of today being done with restrictions. She deserves nothing less than the show that’s been put on today.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Was just thinking how even sadder it would have been if the Queen had passed away during the lockdown. The ceremony and pageantry today has been incredible and it would have been so sad if this had not all been possible to give the Queen such a send off.

Yes - you've got to feel sad for all the people who were unable to have even a simple ceremony for their parents.  I wonder how they are feeling now.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:
    Really annoys me the amount of people with their phones out 

It wasn't a concert like overwhelming amount, but still a portion (few people) lost within a digital age. A tad soul destroying.  

Why not just live in the moment?
    Because lots of people don’t really want to experience things nowadays, they are more interested in showing  people the things they are experiencing. 
    I disagree. No different than if it was twenty years ago, as people would be there with cameras instead of camera phones but on a smaller scale. I don’t think you can blame people for wanting to take photos to show to their grand kids etc I know I would be taking pics if I was there.
  • Options
    am I the only who while enjoying the spectacle today am now getting just a teeny bit bored with it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Queen's pony & corgi's.
    My word, the planning & execution has been simply breath taking.
    A day never to be forgotten. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:
    Really annoys me the amount of people with their phones out 

It wasn't a concert like overwhelming amount, but still a portion (few people) lost within a digital age. A tad soul destroying.  

Why not just live in the moment?
    Because lots of people don’t really want to experience things nowadays, they are more interested in showing  people the things they are experiencing. 
    I disagree. No different than if it was twenty years ago, as people would be there with cameras instead of camera phones but on a smaller scale. I don’t think you can blame people for wanting to take photos to show to their grand kids etc I know I would be taking pics if I was there.
    You don't have to have a photo of everything just to prove you were there. At a funeral or funeral procession you might for once forget about the camera.

• Options
    am I the only who while enjoying the spectacle today am now getting just a teeny bit bored with it?
    The opposite for me. The first part at Westminster was brilliant, but when they reached Windsor and you could see the Long Walk it took it up an extra notch. 

It’s like watching something out of a movie.
  • Options
    On subject of phones I was getting annoyed at people last night getting there kids to smile and pose for pics with the flowers - each to there own but not right for me, unfortunately it’s the Instagram culture now and everybody living there best life. 
  • Options
    Wow. It’s actually like what Disney want you to believe their films to be like.

Incredible.
    Yes, I said to the wife this is surreal, like watching the most epic film of all time. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I was wondering how they got the Orb to stay put, especially going up the stairs, but once they took it off the coffin, you can see it's got a pointy bit underneath, which presumably was fixed into a recess in the coffin lid. (And other people wondering the same thing about the Orb lead to this blackly comic story being told on twitter)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    I was wondering how they got the Orb to stay put, especially going up the stairs, but once they took it off the coffin, you can see it's got a pointy bit underneath, which presumably was fixed into a recess in the coffin lid. (And other people wondering the same thing about the Orb lead to this blackly comic story being told on twitter)
    I was wondering about that all day too.
  • Options
    Charles looks drained.
  • Options
    I'm still wondering what was private about the private Windsor service. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Have felt very detached from it all being halfway across the world but today has been so impressive.
  • Options
    Very poignant when they took the Crown and the other jewels off the coffin, felt very final.
    I thought that too
  • Options
    Ok, Dimbleby just said there's a further private service. 
  • Options
    That the vast majority of those invited were either family or personal friends.