Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson's weekly press conference

Comments

• Options
    Found this quote interesting:

“The first thing I said to them was to play for the shirt and give it everything you’ve got. Whether you’re playing well or not playing well, you’re always in control of that – that you can give it absolutely everything you’ve got. And when you’ve got 11 players doing that and three people coming off the bench doing that and everyone playing together, good things will follow.

“I know what can happen when they do that. I’ve never doubted the quality, but I think we just needed a bit of clarity with some of the messages.”

Today's Mirror quotes Wayne Rooney digging out the 'work shy' United stars.

'I'm seeing too many players not willing to run back, not willing to defend and not willing to put everything on the line for that club - and it's not acceptable'.

The universal language of football eh?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

“The first thing I said to them was to play for the shirt and give it everything you’ve got. Whether you’re playing well or not playing well, you’re always in control of that – that you can give it absolutely everything you’ve got. And when you’ve got 11 players doing that and three people coming off the bench doing that and everyone playing together, good things will follow.

“I know what can happen when they do that. I’ve never doubted the quality, but I think we just needed a bit of clarity with some of the messages.”

He’s said that a few times in a few different ways. It’s seems Adkins overloaded them with information. 

Having been to his Bromley Addicks meeting, he was quite possibly the most boring man I’ve ever heard. Every question prompted a monologue 

Boring ? Jackson or Adkins ?

Nigel Adkins does monologues and unfortunately under pressure at Cafc he was on a zoom with the Bromley Addicks and struggled to make coherent answers to fairly straight forward questions. He kept saying how well he did at the saints but he sounded like yesterday's man and JJ is Hungry to be a success now and it's my belief he will instill that in our present side.
    Still belief we can rise up the table but 8th to 10th is the best we can hope for as we just don't have the luck with injuries.

In the long term we need young fast wing backs but Hopefully Leko can find consistency at RWB and Purrington can turn into steady Eddie again on the other side.

1 game at a time is a cliché but theres only one game that matters and that's Donny on Saturday. 
    Be shocked if we continue with wing-backs to be honest. I think we'll see a solid 442 Saturday. 
    Why would it be a shock? It allows you to play two up front, avoid being out numbered in midfield and gives you an extra CB which is useful defensively and for playing out from the back. I can see him sticking with it and looking at how we can make it even more effective.

Beyond tomorrow I expect JJ will be flexible. Fewer teams play 4-4-2 at this level so I don’t see it being used regularly due to the risk of being outnumbered in central midfield.

The good thing with the 11 we started we can easily switch to 4-4-2 if needed.

Lavelle being out arguably makes a back four less likely as neither Pearce or Famewo are comfortable playing as a right sided CB.
    I’m not against it either and don’t disagree. I think it worked well against Sunderland but can see us going 442 tomorrow, just my thoughts. 

Although I do think you are right, we could well start 352 and comfortably switch in play to a 442 with the personnel. 
  • Options

"I'm not going to comment on what happened under the previous manager" or words to that effect were said after the Sunderland game.  That didn't last long, not that I have any problem with a bit of honesty.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Who is Johnson?!
    The annoying little prick in charge of Sunderland
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Who is Johnson?!

Johnson is closely related to John Thomas.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Well to be honest I can’t really remember any of our other managers previous FA cup pre match interviews, but that feels quiet refreshing.

I like JJ’s confidence, as well as the standards he is demanding of the players. Guess we will see with the performance on Saturday.
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Completely forgot about Euell's involvement with the England Youth Teams

Suppose its never really been an issue in the past as games have been called off
  • Options
    clive said:
    Fascinating. Not only do we lose 2 players to international football, but also a key coach.

I expect Jacko to go and sign 3 San Marino internationals in January to make sure we get the next international window off!
  • Options
    Could be a very good player in the middle of that back 3! But we know injury prone.
  • Options
    Feels like Groundhog day with him, poor bloke... Has the ability to be a top player especially at this level, but has the injury problems that could restrict him to nothing better than Non-League Football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interestingly you have to wonder when/if all our defenders are fully fit if Inniss would get himself back into the first XI. 

Say we continue with a back 3:

Famewo would definitely be the left sided centre back in that formation.

But would you drop Pearce to put Inniss in that central role - you would argue that Pearce is making himself undropable on current performances.

Then would you have Lavelle or Inniss as the right sided centre back. On this I would argue I’ve liked having the ball carrying abilities of Matthew’s/Gunter/Clare in that position and would perhaps sacrifice added defensive solidness to be able to drive the ball out the back/have more pace.

But obviously if we don’t play either of them we miss out on their aerial threat in both boxes.

All very interesting. Time to get football manager loaded up. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Im looking forward to the Zoom meeting with Jackson tomorrow night... It is tomorrow isnt it?

Really curious to hear why 3-5-2 has turned out to be his go to formation, and whether having the likes of Gunter | Matthews as a Centre-Back is a slight nod to how England (what with Kyle Walker in that role), and to an extent, how Chelsea play.
  • Options
    Feels like Groundhog day with him, poor bloke... Has the ability to be a top player especially at this level, but has the injury problems that could restrict him to nothing better than Non-League Football.
    looking on that salary website, assuming there is some reality to it, his wages are also much reduced based on his injury issues
  • Options
    Im looking forward to the Zoom meeting with Jackson tomorrow night... It is tomorrow isnt it?

Really curious to hear why 3-5-2 has turned out to be his go to formation, and whether having the likes of Gunter | Matthews as a Centre-Back is a slight nod to how England (what with Kyle Walker in that role), and to an extent, how Chelsea play.
    Yes mate you had to register with eventbrite.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Yes mate you had to register with eventbrite.
    Yeah - Although spookily CAST must have anticipated me asking the question

As just checked my Inbox and they'd emailed reminding me of the meeting just 3mins before I posted.
  • Options
    You never know, Innis might not be as madly interested in football as we think. 
  • Options

A good question to ask. I imagine he likes the flexibility of his system, which having 3 out and out centre backs wouldn't give. And the extra pace a converted full back gives

You don't need 3 big "lumps" as opponents don't play with 3 centre forwards
  • Options

A good question to ask. I imagine he likes the flexibility of his system, which having 3 out and out centre backs wouldn't give. And the extra pace a converted full back gives

You don't need 3 big "lumps" as opponents don't play with 3 centre forwards
    Elewere has ball carrying skills and a good accurate pass. So, Elewere, Lavelle and Famewo would be my first pick. Inniss will never be fit I fear, and anyway has less to offer than those three, particularly with Stockley available to defend at set pieces.