Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jackson's weekly press conference

Johnnie Jackson is expecting his Charlton side to repeat their efforts from last weekend as they prepare to take on Doncaster Rovers at The Valley on Saturday.
https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/617ab84ed6a0f/jackson-great-things-can-happen-when-you-play-for-the-shirt

Comments

• Found this quote interesting:

“The first thing I said to them was to play for the shirt and give it everything you’ve got. Whether you’re playing well or not playing well, you’re always in control of that – that you can give it absolutely everything you’ve got. And when you’ve got 11 players doing that and three people coming off the bench doing that and everyone playing together, good things will follow.

“I know what can happen when they do that. I’ve never doubted the quality, but I think we just needed a bit of clarity with some of the messages.”

He’s said that a few times in a few different ways. It’s seems Adkins overloaded them with information. 

Having been to his Bromley Addicks meeting, he was quite possibly the most boring man I’ve ever heard. Every question prompted a monologue 

Clive R certainly agreed with you that night mate.
  • LoOkOuT said:
    My sense is that the players were confused under Adkins' leadership and trying to play whilst second guessing themselves as to whether they were doing what he wanted them to do, as opposed to playing to a system they understand and playing more intuitively and comfortably.
    I reckon this is spot on. Footballers don’t do waffle well.
    I wonder if Adkins’ usual assistant was the ‘interpreter’ at his previous clubs? There’s no doubting Nigel can get a tune out of players. 
  • Valley11 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    My sense is that the players were confused under Adkins' leadership and trying to play whilst second guessing themselves as to whether they were doing what he wanted them to do, as opposed to playing to a system they understand and playing more intuitively and comfortably.
    I wonder if Adkins’ usual assistant was the ‘interpreter’ at his previous clubs? There’s no doubting Nigel can get a tune out of players. 
    Well couldn't get DJ on tune
  • Valley11 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Well couldn't get DJ on tune
    And everyone knows getting a tune out of a DJ is easy
  • It's understandable. Imagine a player asking NA what their role is while playing in a different position or formation. It won't be a simple and clear response would it?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Valley11 said:
    LoOkOuT said:

Wait, so you're suggesting he should have got rid of Jacko?

• Kips said:
    Found this quote interesting:

“The first thing I said to them was to play for the shirt and give it everything you’ve got. Whether you’re playing well or not playing well, you’re always in control of that – that you can give it absolutely everything you’ve got. And when you’ve got 11 players doing that and three people coming off the bench doing that and everyone playing together, good things will follow.

“I know what can happen when they do that. I’ve never doubted the quality, but I think we just needed a bit of clarity with some of the messages.”

He’s said that a few times in a few different ways. It’s seems Adkins overloaded them with information. 

Having been to his Bromley Addicks meeting, he was quite possibly the most boring man I’ve ever heard. Every question prompted a monologue 

Clive R certainly agreed with you that night mate.
    Clive was a superstar that evening, me and the Mrs couldn’t stop laughing. 
  • NA was all fluffy clouds and pretty flowers. 
    Sometimes that works, but it’s important to remember that players who have performed well, will expect the manager to call-out any other player who was nit up to scratch. When this doesn’t happen - team motivation is affected. 

After the Bolton game - Adkins should have come down hard on Matthews (?) playing 3 attackers onside for one of the goals. 
    He probably said - don’t worry about it, these things happen. 
  • edited October 2021

Supporter - "So Nigel what's the plan for Saturday's game?"
    NA - " Well from my point of view, when I was the physio at Scunthorpe I learned a lot and then I became Scunthorpe manager and got them promoted.
    Then I went to Southampton and got them promoted and we were doing well in The Premier League.
    Also, I do a lot of work for charity, if I've not mentioned it".

Kiss of death to a manager, those Bromley Addick meetings. Let’s make sure JJ doesn’t do one if/when he becomes manager!
    🙂
  • edited October 2021

Boring ? Jackson or Adkins ?

Nigel Adkins does monologues and unfortunately under pressure at Cafc he was on a zoom with the Bromley Addicks and struggled to make coherent answers to fairly straight forward questions. He kept saying how well he did at the saints but he sounded like yesterday's man and JJ is Hungry to be a success now and it's my belief he will instill that in our present side.
    Still belief we can rise up the table but 8th to 10th is the best we can hope for as we just don't have the luck with injuries.

In the long term we need young fast wing backs but Hopefully Leko can find consistency at RWB and Purrington can turn into steady Eddie again on the other side.

1 game at a time is a cliché but there's only one game that matters and that's Donny on Saturday. 

Nigel Adkins does monologues and unfortunately under pressure at Cafc he was on a zoom with the Bromley Addicks and struggled to make coherent answers to fairly straight forward questions. He kept saying how well he did at the saints but he sounded like yesterday's man and JJ is Hungry to be a success now and it's my belief he will instill that in our present side.
    Still belief we can rise up the table but 8th to 10th is the best we can hope for as we just don't have the luck with injuries.

In the long term we need young fast wing backs but Hopefully Leko can find consistency at RWB and Purrington can turn into steady Eddie again on the other side.

1 game at a time is a cliché but theres only one game that matters and that's Donny on Saturday. 
    Be shocked if we continue with wing-backs to be honest. I think we'll see a solid 442 Saturday. 
  • edited October 2021

1 game at a time is a cliché but theres only one game that matters and that's Donny on Saturday. 
    Be shocked if we continue with wing-backs to be honest. I think we'll see a solid 442 Saturday. 

It feels like a game of chess. Against Sunderland it was a surprise to Johnson that Jackson's opening gambit was 3-5-2 as it was to Charlton fans when both Matthews and Leko had different roles in the team.
    How will Doncaster line up away from home? 
    Will they park the bus or be bold ?
    We will have watched their game on Tuesday at home but that may have no bearing on their tactics away from home where they are pointless.

The only certainty is JJ will have two up front but I think he would like to try 3-5-2 at home as when worked well you attack in numbers yet you can have solid support defensively with the wing back helping out the RCB and LCB in the 3. Plus your midfield shouldn't be out numbered ! 

I stand corrected but I believe we have won 10 in the last 34 matches at home which go back to the last few home matches in the championship mini League.

To have a Check mate at home would make a change and another step on our journey out of the danger area.
  • Sponsored links:

Why would it be a shock? It allows you to play two up front, avoid being out numbered in midfield and gives you an extra CB which is useful defensively and for playing out from the back. I can see him sticking with it and looking at how we can make it even more effective.

Beyond tomorrow I expect JJ will be flexible. Fewer teams play 4-4-2 at this level so I don’t see it being used regularly due to the risk of being outnumbered in central midfield.

The good thing with the 11 we started we can easily switch to 4-4-2 if needed.

Lavelle being out arguably makes a back four less likely as neither Pearce or Famewo are comfortable playing as a right sided CB.
  • clive said:
    "He was one of those players who gave his all on the pitch – Johnson’s previous bosses would testify to that."
  • clive said:
    You can see how the team could get behind JJ as a manager, been a leader from the start for us and hopefully that will continue as I think every Charlton fan would just love for JJ to be a big success with us. 
  • Who is Johnson?!
  • edited October 2021
  • JamesSeed said:

Kiss of death to a manager, those Bromley Addick meetings. Let’s make sure JJ doesn’t do one if/when he becomes manager!
    🙂
    Yet more proof that Jacko knows what he's doing. He will be special guest at the CAST AGM on Thu 18th Nov. Members can register here: 

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cast-annual-general-meeting-plus-special-guest-johnnie-jackson-tickets-128981151095