Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

1565758596062»

Comments

• I virtually attended a lecture today from the chief medical officer on the future health of the nation. I was there in a work capacity but it was incredibly interesting comparing the situation now to that when thr NHS was introduced. Lot of negatives but also some real positives in terms of how we can approach these issues. 

Anyway, one very interesting point he made (and showed some CRUK data on) was that the 2 biggest factors in preventable cancers are smoking and air quality. 
  • I was badly affected by asthma as a kid. 

As an adult my asthma is very well controlled, but I do have a dry asthmatic cough.  That cough stopped completely during the first lock down when traffic came to a standstill.  I now cough less with the measures that have been bought in.  I know there will be sceptics amongst the CL faithful - disbelieving souls - who'll say that 'Raith's Cough' is not an exact science (which it is btw :| ) ... and certainly not worth the loss of their diesel cars.

Point being there is a threshold whereby 'Raith's Cough' kicks in.  It may only be the difference of a few beats on the air quality index, but it all counts - just a cough to me, but far more serious for others. 

• British Rail - We know we're shit but think of the alternative! 

• That picture looks pretty much like London these days.
  • I have to pinch myself sometimes to remind me that there are actually people out there against improving air quality and preventing/slowing Global warming. How does somebody get their mind into that position, not politics at all, and how do they reset?
    It might be about money now short term thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• “We are now set to get London’s air to within legal limits by 2025, 184 years earlier than previously projected.”

That bit jumped out at me. Massive positive impact.

Also this bit is exactly what ive been saying on here about the expansion yet people have lept on saying its unfair on the poor or its not needed jn outer London:

"We know that toxic air is associated with increased risks of asthma, cancer and dementia, and that it disproportionately affects poorer Londoners and those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.

“With the greatest number of deaths attributable to air pollution occurring in outer London, it’s great to see these results since the Ulez was introduced London-wide.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jul/25/ulez-expansion-led-to-significant-drop-in-air-pollutants-in-london-report-finds
    That’s all very well, but, you know, costs. Or revenue. 

Bottom line is ULEZ is saving lives and increasing Londoners’ life expectancy. 
  • Scrappage scheme being wound down and will close In September, the £210m allocated is almost run out.
  • Drivers owe nearly £380m in unpaid Ulez fines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ced1dg42n5zo