Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Found the below on Twitter this morning, all common sense, but the school run traffic should have been dealt with years ago, far too many in cars when walking and buses should be used instead
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Found the below on Twitter this morning, all common sense, but the school run traffic should have been dealt with years ago, far too many in cars when walking and buses should be used instead
    Second and third are good points, but it's a 6 month report.
  • cafc999 said:
    Looking at some of the figures in that report it looks like this is losing money handover fist as more and more cars are ULEZ compliant.

Isn’t that entirely the point though? It wasn’t introduced to make money, but to improve the air. 
    My point is that if it keeps losing money, who pays for it? You cannot keep running a loss making operation on that scale. The Mayor will have to up charges or move the goal posts.
  • cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    Looking at some of the figures in that report it looks like this is losing money handover fist as more and more cars are ULEZ compliant.

Isn’t that entirely the point though? It wasn’t introduced to make money, but to improve the air. 
    My point is that if it keeps losing money, who pays for it? You cannot keep running a loss making operation on that scale. The Mayor will have to up charges or move the goal posts.
    I’m not sure why the LOLs on my comment on charges from some. 

Shouldn’t we want to appreciate who is still polluting our air ? Is it repeat offenders / foreign visitors or commercial vehicles for example ?

are we successful in getting the fees paid?
  • cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

It's aim is to improve people's health, not to make money, like the NHS.
  • cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

Its aim is to improve people's health, not to make money, like the NHS.
    Will it cover its costs?
  • cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

So if it it keeps making a loss, that potentially runs into the millions - it's ok? 

I fully understand the health 'benefits' but there has to be a financial justification for such projects
  • cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

So if it it keeps making a loss, that potentially runs into the millions - it's ok? 

I fully understand the health 'benefits' but there has to be a financial justification for such projects
    Having been to some of the most polluted cities on earth, I’d said it’s absolutely ok, yes, you can’t put a price on breathable air. 

Short term cost, long term saving. 
  • I used the NHS as an example as it costs multiple more than ULEZ ever will. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I used the NHS as an example as it costs multiple more than ULEZ ever will. 
    Serves more people than ULEZ.

• cafc999 said:
    I used the NHS as an example as it costs multiple more than ULEZ ever will. 

But like the NHS, could do with a good dose of privatisation to sort it out

(Gets coat and runs)...
  • cafc999 said:

Which means it's OK if it loses millions, or does the NHS not need a financial justification? 
  • The proof of the pudding will be in a couple of years time when hopefully breathing conditions should reduce along with deaths, putting less strain on Londons NHS. If the figures do not reduce then it will be a massive failure. 
  • edited July 25
    cafc999 said:

Which means it's OK if it loses millions, or does the NHS not need a financial justification? 
    You're are comparing chalk with cheese and you know it. 

The NHS is nothing at all like ULEZ 
  • JamesSeed said:

Ulez expansion led to significant drop in air pollutants in London, report finds. 

Ulez expansion led to significant drop in air pollutants in London, report finds | Low emission zones | The Guardian

Imagine our surprise. 

Significant wording here:

Blah blah ESTIMATED 22% lower and 
    Blah blah  13% lower than PROJECTED. 

It’s meaningless - regardless of one’s political viewpoint. 

However,
    Non compliant cars were 8% of total in Feb and are now 4%. 
    This data will be backed by proper stats so you would expect some improvement in air quality. 

Personally, I hope the non-compliant figure goes down to almost zero ASAP - not because I believe any of the air quality nonsense, but to see what Khan’s next move will be when the gravy train dries up….but I think we can guess. 

• Dansk_Red said:
    The proof of the pudding will be in a couple of years time when hopefully breathing conditions should reduce along with deaths, putting less strain on Londons NHS. If the figures do not reduce then it will be a massive failure. 
    Probably a longer return time but there will be reductions in incidence rates of children being born with exema and asthma. Redections in non-smoking lung cancers. All of these have societal benefits and cost savings. The direct savings to NHS, indirect savings through less sick days, more productive workforce. Knock ons for crime social services etc. 

Financial arguments on this are typical tory cost of everything value of nothing arguments.
  • edited July 25
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

Why do you think it’s losing money?
  • edited July 25
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

As the result of a freedom of information request TFL provided this answer:

‘The estimated final cost to deliver the expanded scheme was reported in November 2022 to be in the range of £145 -155m. This includes costs of signage, detection and enforcement infrastructure, marketing, project overheads and risk.

TfL estimates that the London-wide ULEZ could generate up to £200 million a year in net revenue for the first two years following expansion on 29 August but this will decline sharply with no surplus by 2026/27 as compliance increases. It is a statutory requirement that any net revenue generated by our road charging schemes (the ULEZ, LEZ or the Congestion Charge) is reinvested back into London’s transport network, including investing in improving transport links in outer London. All money received from the ULEZ is reinvested into improving London’s public transport network, such as expanding bus routes in outer London.‘
    The superloop bus network has been developed and expanded using the revenue surplus I believe. 
  • edited July 25
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

‘The estimated final cost to deliver the expanded scheme was reported in November 2022 to be in the range of £145 -155m. This includes costs of signage, detection and enforcement infrastructure, marketing, project overheads and risk.

TfL estimates that the London-wide ULEZ could generate up to £200 million a year in net revenue for the first two years following expansion on 29 August but this will decline sharply with no surplus by 2026/27 as compliance increases. It is a statutory requirement that any net revenue generated by our road charging schemes (the ULEZ, LEZ or the Congestion Charge) is reinvested back into London’s transport network, including investing in improving transport links in outer London. All money received from the ULEZ is reinvested into improving London’s public transport network, such as expanding bus routes in outer London.‘
    The superloop bus network has been developed and expanded using the revenue surplus I believe. 
    Yes agreed and hence why I’m curious to see how the forecast costs and revenues stack up against the actual figures. 

I’m surprised not published and hence my suspicion it is maybe less cost neutral than anticipated. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

Look at the figures of non compliant cars and then times that by £12.50 or £50. Now see if that adds up to the original outlay cost and running costs. Now use those figures to see if it tallies up.
  • cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

Things that provide health benefits must be financially viable unless they are things you like, got it. 
  • .valleynick66 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

Yes agreed and hence why I’m curious to see how the forecast costs and revenues stack up against the actual figures. 

I’m surprised not published and hence my suspicion it is maybe less cost neutral than anticipated. 
    I think the superloop was funded by surplus ULEZ revenue as promised. 
    I know some of you are keen to find a stick to beat Khan with, but I don’t think you’ll find one. ULEZ seems to have been a success overall. 
    Great that London has been a trailblazer with this issue. Boris & Sadiq, take a bow. 
  • cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

Look at the figures of non compliant cars and then times that by £12.50 or £50. Now see if that adds up to the original outlay cost and running costs. Now use those figures to see if it tallies up.
    There will be knockers going over the figures with a fine tooth comb. If they don’t add up I suspect you’ll have heard about it by now.
  • JamesSeed said:
    .valleynick66 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

I know some of you are keen to find a stick to beat Khan with, but I don’t think you’ll find one. ULEZ seems to have been a success overall. 
    Great that London has been a trailblazer with this issue. Boris & Sadiq, take a bow. 
    As I have repeatedly said I support the clean air ambition. 

My concern is the costs whereas most suggest it’s a revenue making scheme. 

I just don’t understand why no information is published on this when it must be to hand. 

Why is that? 
  • JamesSeed said:
    .valleynick66 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

As I have repeatedly said I support the clean air ambition. 

My concern is the costs whereas most suggest it’s a revenue making scheme. 

I just don’t understand why no information is published on this when it must be to hand. 

Why is that? 
    We all suspect why.
    It's simply a matter of whether one cares or not.
  • JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

There will be knockers going over the figures with a fine tooth comb. If they don’t add up I suspect you’ll have heard about it by now.
    You would have heard it by now? The interim report came out today LOL.

Look at the figures, do the math and make your own mind up
  • cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

Things that provide health benefits must be financially viable unless they are things you like, got it. 
    You are comparing a national service against a  local charge mate

Get it?

• JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said: