Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Signings Needed In January?

Comments

• A striker is the number 1 position we need filling. Due to a recruitment policy geared towards a lone striker and 2 wingers, and the departure of Ronnie we find ourselves very thin now we're playing 2 up top. And lets face it, Stockley will serve more suspensions this season...

There's something slightly farcical when we can have loads of absentees due to injury and suspension, and Arter still can't get in the 18. 
  • edited November 2021
    central defender and right back
    ct_addick said:
    Center back and another big forward
    We have Lavelle, Pearce, Innis, Famewo and new Deji - I don’t realistically think a League One club can justify spending more budget on a sixth senior pro centre back. 
  • Do both parties usually have a break-clause in January for season-long loans or are we likely to be stuck with Arter for the rest of the season?
  • Do both parties usually have a break-clause in January for season-long loans or are we likely to be stuck with Arter for the rest of the season?
    They usually do, though I don't know if it works both ways, i.e. either party can trigger it?
  • se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    We have Lavelle, Pearce, Innis, Famewo and new Deji - I don’t realistically think a League One club can justify spending more budget on a sixth senior pro centre back. 
    Lavelle .. long term absence and new to the squad
    Pearce  .. Getting more injury prone
    Innis .. who ?
    Famewo .. a loanee
    Elewere .. really promising but can't do it alone

Innis should go, he's a waste of a salary .. bring in a defender who is fit at least for the occasional game
  • se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Innis .. who ?
    Famewo .. a loanee

Innis should go, he's a waste of a salary .. bring in a defender who is fit at least for the occasional game
    All 5 are contracted until the summer, so any CB brought in in January would be a 6th CB, bearing in mind that in the Jacko system the right CB has been either a RB (Gunter, Matthews) or a midfielder (Clare) anyway
  • se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Innis .. who ?
    Famewo .. a loanee

All 5 are contracted until the summer, so any CB brought in in January would be a 6th CB, bearing in mind that in the Jacko system the right CB has been either a RB (Gunter, Matthews) or a midfielder (Clare) anyway
    I couldn't give a fuck if we have 10 centre backs under contract until 2099, we need strengthening there to stand any chance of getting near the play offs
  • se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Innis .. who ?
    Famewo .. a loanee

Which team is coming in to pick up Innis’ contract? 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Innis .. who ?
    Famewo .. a loanee

I couldn't give a fuck if we have 10 centre backs under contract until 2099, we need strengthening there to stand any chance of getting near the play offs
    Squad number rules mean you have to be selective with who you sign.
  • se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    2 players for every position....also forget Innis too injury prone
  • ct_addick said:
    se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Do we still have to pay him when he’s injured?
  • Desperately need a striker. I really wanted Davison to kick on this season but he is no a good enough option to have on the bench, let alone starting. 
  • se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Do we still have to pay him when he’s injured?
    No, the team he got injured against have to pick up his wages.
    Ah, no wonder Gunter gets so much game time!
  • We need to sign the second goal-scorer we failed to do in the Summer. No-one is going to sell you their current top performer in January, so we have to be looking at someone experienced wh ok can't get into his current team. Needs to be a Championship or PL player.
  • TS is going to have to make a strategic decision given that the Jan window isn’t the most cost effective time to buy players. If he honestly feels we have a shout of a play off place then go and get the centre half, striker plus maybe one or two others. 

But, if he concludes that this season is a write off promotion wise, then no point in pushing the boat out & spend energy consolidating and planning for next season e.g. try and tie down the likes of Lee, Famewo and Leko (in order of likelihood of success).

Unless we get another wind and go on a great run in December I would have some sympathy with a cautious Jan window - we are where we are.
  • edited November 2021
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Innis .. who ?
    Famewo .. a loanee

Which team is coming in to pick up Innis’ contract? 
    make an offer to 'buy him out' .. if he says no, then we are stuck with him .. an unused/unwanted few of the squad will probably go in the new year and that will free up money and places for players we REALLY need
  • We need to sign the second goal-scorer we failed to do in the Summer. No-one is going to sell you their current top performer in January, so we have to be looking at someone experienced wh ok can't get into his current team. Needs to be a Championship or PL player.
    A goal scorer from the Premier League?! 
  • Sponsored links:

• It seems we have the same problem we had when Bowyer was here.  Players past their sell buy date & injury prone key position players

The fact Arter is not making the squad seems we have made the same mistake we made with Watson previously. 

Of course a squad needs 1 or 2 senior players but 27/28 year old still performing is less of a risk than bring in names that were very good in their prime but doubts exist, this needs more scrutiny. 

@Charente addick  makes a good point. 

TS is going to have to make a strategic decision given that the Jan window isn’t the most cost effective time to buy players. If he honestly feels we have a shout of a play off place then go and get the centre half, striker plus maybe one or two others. 

More than just a strategic decision on the window he has to make a call to back JJ. Which means move away from the previous believed club system and make squad changes or take a bigger risk bringing in someone else.  The later could alienate the fan base and be a bigger problem for the new incumbent.   
    We signed BWP in January so it is possible. 
    Depends who the top scorers play for. 

Someone like Cole Stockton or Dion Charles (will probably be priced out) probably will leave their respective clubs in January, especially if a bigger club comes in for them.

Its the likes of Michael Smith @ Rotherham who we wouldn't have a hope in hell of bringing in.

Of course the alternative is we equally look at those doing well in League Two - Either way just hope the players are scouted properly. Many wont be happy if we bring in someone who hasnt already got an impressive long term record in front of goal, but then there is the easy / lazy risk of bringing in another Ajose. 
  • I'm really not looking forward to this window. We all know that 99% of the business is done in the final days of January, so that leaves a shedload of time for hand wringing, bed wetting and moaning. It's going to be miserable on here! 
  • The trouble is we are not in a great position to attract the decent players plus the dreaded agents will know that we are desperate so will be talking silly money. I think we need a striker as a matter of urgency but who and where from is anyones guess. I would really like to see Burstow get a run of games in December to see what he can do as we may already have better than we can actually buy
  • Chunes said:
    I'm really not looking forward to this window. We all know that 99% of the business is done in the final days of January, so that leaves a shedload of time for hand wringing, bed wetting and moaning. It's going to be miserable on here! 
    In other words... a typical day on CharltonLife?
  • Not generally a fan of going back to the future - though it's going ok with Leko tbf - but we're definitely a striker light (!) and I would like to see Aneke come back. He can play either with or in place of Stockley, can get on the end of the crosses we're constantly putting in these days and we know he'll score at this level. Since Deeney joined he's 5th-choice up front at Brum and is barely getting a kick, and we could do a lot worse. Probably all sorts of reasons why it won't/can't happen, but thought I would toss it in anyway.

- Anybody got an email address for Martin S and Steve Gallen? I'll send them my CV...
  • Not generally a fan of going back to the future - though it's going ok with Leko tbf - but we're definitely a striker light (!) and I would like to see Aneke come back. He can play either with or in place of Stockley, can get on the end of the crosses we're constantly putting in these days and we know he'll score at this level. Since Deeney joined he's 5th-choice up front at Brum and is barely getting a kick, and we could do a lot worse. Probably all sorts of reasons why it won't/can't happen, but thought I would toss it in anyway.

- Anybody got an email address for Martin S and Steve Gallen? I'll send them my CV...
    Going back to the future worked for Marty Mcfly, I wonder if Chuks has got himself a Delorean?

Going back to the future worked for Marty Mcfly, I wonder if Chuks has got himself a Delorean?
    Probably a Tesla these days. Trouble is, the charge doesn't last 90 mins...