Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Signings Needed In January?

Comments

• Options
    We CHOSE to re-sign Matthews, I can't see us doing any business at RB when we have 2 experienced first team players there under contract

mendonca said:
    Maybe send our No10 out on loan if we can get him to a good club. The problem loaning him to the same league would be that we don't know who our promotion or relegation rivals are.
    Morgan is underage, so not part of the squad numbers. He's also home developed, assuming the 1 home grown player per 18 rule still applies. 
  • Options
    All depends on Harry Arter.

If he gets fit and is up for it, then fine.  If not CDM is the absolute priority.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    True - we did resign Matthews and the press conference mentioned how glad we were to nail one of the best right backs in the league for another season. 

One on one defending was always a strength of his. He needs to regather that interest, concentration and desire. Atm it looks like he finds it all too boring and just wants to get his fishing rod out somewhere! *eeek*
  • Options
    We need a number 10 that can run a game.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    True - we did resign Matthews and the press conference mentioned how glad we were to nail one of the best right backs in the league for another season. 

One on one defending was always a strength of his. He needs to regather that interest, concentration and desire. Atm it looks like he finds it all too boring and just wants to get his fishing rod out somewhere! *eeek*
    Perhaps he's become disillusioned at the fact he goes looking for a new club every summer and doesn't find kne
  • Options
    It's funny how we've gone from struggling to put a team out to people questioning why someone isn't even on the bench. We currently have a large squad, so much so that we have a whole team that won't even make the match day squad of 18. For example:

Starting XI
    MacGillvray
    Gunter
    Famewo
    Lavelle
    Souare
    Arter
    Gilbey
    Lee
    Kirk
    Davison
    Leko

Subs
    Henderson
    Inniss
    Dobson
    Clare
    Blackett-Taylor
    Stockley
    Washington

Not used XI:
    Harness
    Matthews
    Pearce
    Elewere
    Purrington
    Watson
    JFC
    Morgan
    Jaiyesimi
    Clayden
    Schwartz

Those 29 don't even include young fringe players beyond Elewere and Clayden or ones currently on loan. So, at best, it will be tinkering and the budget has to dictate that it will be on a "one in/one out" basis. I wouldn't even be surprised if there were no additions especially if Schwartz and JFC return and/or we can't offload anyone

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Depends if Adkins is replaced. If he is and we have to pay him off there won’t be money for squad overhaul. Promotion is already gone. As long as we avoid relegation I think we limp through to the summer. Big question need answers regarding our summer recruitment. On the whole I think it’s left us with a squad going nowhere 
  • Options
    Depends if Adkins is replaced. If he is and we have to pay him off there won’t be money for squad overhaul. Promotion is already gone. As long as we avoid relegation I think we limp through to the summer. Big question need answers regarding our summer recruitment. On the whole I think it’s left us with a squad going nowhere 
    Unlikely but it’s not too late to make the playoffs.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Unlikely is the important word there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A new playing style is going to take some time to gel. If we end the season like an express train (even more so than last season) and we just miss out, it won't require huge change; what screwed us this time around was the continuity of losing JFC, Maatsen, Aneke, Pratley, Millar and a couple of key others, all of whose replacements have for whatever reason taken a while to get up to speed even as we change the playing ethos. This time, hopefully, we wouldn't lose key personnel. 

That's being as generous as possible to Adkins et al. Let's see.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Good to see JJ is putting a more positive spin on things:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/johnnie-jackson-backing-charlton-athletic-to-go-on-a-winning-run-to-get-into-league-one-promotion-picture/
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Not THAT unlikely, considering that in the last 3 seasons in this division we've finished 6th, 3rd and 7th. We're currently just 6 points behind Pompey and Wednesday, who would both be aiming for the playoffs
  • Options
    Very little activity this Jan 
    lot depends on Inniss ? think we might try again for the Gillingham centre back Tucker … but that’s about all as of today but by then we might have our annual injury crisis and need cover elsewhere 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    A new playing style is going to take some time to gel. If we end the season like an express train (even more so than last season) and we just miss out, it won't require huge change; what screwed us this time around was the continuity of losing JFC, Maatsen, Aneke, Pratley, Millar and a couple of key others, all of whose replacements have for whatever reason taken a while to get up to speed even as we change the playing ethos. This time, hopefully, we wouldn't lose key personnel. 

Lets be generous for a minute and say we are going to go on a good run between now and January so that the focus is more looking up than looking down.   If we are still looking down I suspect we are looking at a totally different kettle of fish. 

As it stands today, before next August, preferably July, we need 2 right backs, 2 left backs, 3 center halves, 1 center mid, 2 wingers, a number 10 and a striker.  That's 12 players.  We need to start on that in January at the latest.  If it means loaning out, or unregistering 1st team players we either don't want or can't keep, so be it.

If we are serious about promotion any time soon we need to halve that number by April or May.  If its new signings or new contracts we can't go into every summer window needing 10 plus players. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

Lets be generous for a minute and say we are going to go on a good run between now and January so that the focus is more looking up than looking down.   If we are still looking down I suspect we are looking at a totally different kettle of fish. 

As it stands today, before next August, preferably July, we need 2 right backs, 2 left backs, 3 center halves, 1 center mid, 2 wingers, a number 10 and a striker.  That's 12 players.  We need to start on that in January at the latest.  If it means loaning out, or unregistering 1st team players we either don't want or can't keep, so be it.

If we are serious about promotion any time soon we need to halve that number by April or May.  If its new signings or new contracts we can't go into every summer window needing 10 plus players. 
    A slight issue is that many of the players we might want to keep are the loanees or on short contracts, whereas some of the ones on longer contracts (such as DJ and Kirk) aren't in our first 11 at the moment. If DJ doesn't play much during the rest of the season, we might be in a situation where we want to replace him as well
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

A slight issue is that many of the players we might want to keep are the loanees or on short contracts, whereas some of the ones on longer contracts (such as DJ and Kirk) aren't in our first 11 at the moment. If DJ doesn't play much during the rest of the season, we might be in a situation where we want to replace him as well
    That's true but if, for example, we decided we would give Purrington and CBT new contracts and made Lee permanent on a long term deal your down to 9.  We can't be offering 4 or 5 players new contracts once the season has finished again.  That was comically bad.  Especially as the 2 we really wanted left. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Our best players at the moment are loanees and this year promotion seems out of the question. So we definitely don't have the making of a promotion pushing squad for next season. Whatever position we find ourselves in an overhaul is (again) needed in the summer, and we are probably not looking at a settled side from day one. Therefore we should be looking to get at least some permanent deals in January, although I am aware our squad is too large as it is.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Chunes said:
    mendonca said:

Perhaps he's become disillusioned at the fact he goes looking for a new club every summer and doesn't find kne
    @Chunes or disillusioned that a 17 year old CB has a better agent than him.
  • Options

I may be wrong but weren't you one of the main posters talking about giving time given the mess we are in, needing at least two years to turn it around etc. Yet a few months in to the season and it is "if we avoid relegation"; "big questions need to be answered"; "squad going nowhere".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its a way off but unless we get a mass of injuries in one position or loanees are recalled , I don't foresee much if any activity. I'm basing this on my presumption of mid table obscurity by Jan, Anything either side of that presumption is a different matter of course.
  • Options
    Just don't know.  I don't think any of the players are playing as well as they should and the team is not performing as well as we might expect, therefore why would we think that bringing in new players will change that?  It seems more likely to me that any incoming players will suffer the same issues as our current lot.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    arny23394 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    Totally agree on a new right back. It may be hard to ship out Gunter or Matthews but even if we can't, we still need a new one. 
    I’d be tempted to give Clare a go there . 

We need an energetic defensive midfielder that can pass it well enough and a good striker. 
    Not sure why this was given a lol, Clare played RB for Oxford, and I’m not sure he could do any worse than Matthews & Gunter. 
    Because it's why he left to go to Burton on loan last season and then left Oxford permanently. 
    He might think differently when he’s behind Watson and Arter in the pecking order 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

This is an insane post, sorry. Why do we need all of those players? Why have you written off most of our squad already? 2 MORE wingers? 3 MORE centre-halves? 4 MORE full-backs? What the hell
  • Options
    Or does that include contract renewals? You seem to be implying it might do...but your list feels very much like an external shopping list. It's too early in the morning for me to be able to work out what exactly you mean 
  • Options
    He stated before August and we should get a start on it in January.

Pretty clear.
  • Options
    I thought our rebuild this summer was so we wouldn't have to do it all again next summer. Why not just say 'we need to renew a bunch of contracts and maybe add to the squad in a few key areas'
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I thought our rebuild this summer was so we wouldn't have to do it all again next summer. Why not just say 'we need to renew a bunch of contracts and maybe add to the squad in a few key areas'
    Because our rebuild was more of a patching over cracks.
  • Options
    Think most of these players will come good tbh