Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Signings Needed In January?

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    A new playing style is going to take some time to gel. If we end the season like an express train (even more so than last season) and we just miss out, it won't require huge change; what screwed us this time around was the continuity of losing JFC, Maatsen, Aneke, Pratley, Millar and a couple of key others, all of whose replacements have for whatever reason taken a while to get up to speed even as we change the playing ethos. This time, hopefully, we wouldn't lose key personnel. 

That's being as generous as possible to Adkins et al. Let's see.
    Lets be generous for a minute and say we are going to go on a good run between now and January so that the focus is more looking up than looking down.   If we are still looking down I suspect we are looking at a totally different kettle of fish. 

As it stands today, before next August, preferably July, we need 2 right backs, 2 left backs, 3 center halves, 1 center mid, 2 wingers, a number 10 and a striker.  That's 12 players.  We need to start on that in January at the latest.  If it means loaning out, or unregistering 1st team players we either don't want or can't keep, so be it.

If we are serious about promotion any time soon we need to halve that number by April or May.  If its new signings or new contracts we can't go into every summer window needing 10 plus players. 
    This is an insane post, sorry. Why do we need all of those players? Why have you written off most of our squad already? 2 MORE wingers? 3 MORE centre-halves? 4 MORE full-backs? What the hell
    Because we need them BEFORE next August.  Its an insane post if you don't read it!! 
  • But do you mean players not currently on the staff, or are you counting contract renewals in that? 
  • Leuth said:
    cafc4life said:
    We need a number 10 that can run a game.
    Elliot Lee not good enough for ya? He's our POTS so far imo
    POTS? Most overrated Charlton player this season
    This is a much more insane post, though. Do you watch games with your eyes? Sorry to be rude but like...can you not recognise a proper footballer or something? 

That said, you might even be technically right, because no other footballer has really been rated by our fans this season at all, barring CBT and Leko (and maybe Davison) 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    cafc4life said:
    This is a much more insane post, though. Do you watch games with your eyes? Sorry to be rude but like...can you not recognise a proper footballer or something? 

That said, you might even be technically right, because no other footballer has really been rated by our fans this season at all, barring CBT and Leko (and maybe Davison) 
    He shows signs of being a good footballer however I would class him as an average league 1 player. The fact he is being touted as our player of the season so far shows the weaknesses in our squad.

If EL remains our player of the season then I would not expect us to finish above mid table at best, and that is based on the other players improving, if not we will be in a relegation scrap. 
  • Leuth said:
    But do you mean players not currently on the staff, or are you counting contract renewals in that? 
    A bit of both.  
  • edited October 2021
    Think it is too early to have this discussion. 

I see there could be three scenarios and also we may need to replace some of the loans if they get recalled. 

The three scenarios are

1. We are on the fringe of the playoff race ( within five points)  by the window. We would need players to push us on. 

2. We remain in the relegation zone. In this scenario we would need some L1 battlers to ensure we stay up.

3. The season looks as though it is drifting to midtable. This would be when we should plan for the future and recruitment should be with an eye to next season. 
  • As far as what additions we need in January will depend on what happens with our loan signings and CBT. Unfortunately so far our best performer's in the main have been these players. If they move on then we will need major reinforcements otherwise we are back to the dynamic midfield that is Morgan & Watson and plenty of effort up front but no end product
  • Richard J said:

I see there could be three scenarios and also we may need to replace some of the loans if they get recalled. 

The three scenarios are

1. We are on the fringe of the playoff race ( within five points)  by the window. We would need players to push us on. 

2. We remain in the relegation zone. In this scenario we would need some L1 battlers to ensure we stay up.

3. The season looks as though it is drifting to midtable. This would be when we should plan for next season and recruitment should be with an eye to next season. 
    That is very likely to still not be known come January.  Last season the gap between 6th and the last relegation place was less than 30 points.  It's quite possible that we could be in the bottom half and only 6 or 7 points off a play off place at Christmas.

Thomas spoke about it being a longer term plan, 2 seasons was mentioned, but the sooner we make decisions on players the easier the summer will be.  To go into June with 6 or 7 players that you don't know if they are staying or not is stupid. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Richard J said:

The three scenarios are

3. The season looks as though it is drifting to midtable. This would be when we should plan for next season and recruitment should be with an eye to next season. 
    That is very likely to still not be known come January.  Last season the gap between 6th and the last relegation place was less than 30 points.  It's quite possible that we could be in the bottom half and only 6 or 7 points off a play off place at Christmas.

Thomas spoke about it being a longer term plan, 2 seasons was mentioned, but the sooner we make decisions on players the easier the summer will be.  To go into June with 6 or 7 players that you don't know if they are staying or not is stupid. 
    To plan for August etc in January not knowing what will happen in terms of injuries/form in between is equally honestly.

By all means start looking and planning but actually acting on that scale that far in advance does not seem like a sensible move. 
  • We need a whole new squad fit enough to play 90+ mins twice a week not run out of puff on 45 mins.
  • Sponsored links:

• We're not gonna do anything this season so January I think should be quiet unless there's player at good value that we can tie down for next year. 

As long as we're up midtable by January, would try to shift some deadwood on. 
  • let's wait a while and see who from the too big squad makes a claim for a regular slot. The more pressing need will be to transfer out a few underperformers from what is, I repeat, a too big squad, that is of course if anyone wants them in what will be another round of clubs with not a lot to s[pend, looking for bargains and freebies
  • We're not gonna do anything this season so January I think should be quiet unless there's player at good value that we can tie down for next year. 

But who are the deadwood players? Many of the ones who are struggling to get enough minutes have only just been signed!

But who are the deadwood players? Many of the ones who are struggling to get enough minutes have only just been signed!
    Moving on Gunter, Watson, Schwartz and Jaiyesimi would be a big step in the right direction.

Moving on Gunter, Watson, Schwartz and Jaiyesimi would be a big step in the right direction.

Watson has played regularly this season
    Gunter has played regularly this season
    DJ was only signed last January, and is on a long contract. He's one of the investments in young players on long contracts for the future, blah blah
    Schwartz (for his own sake probably) needs to go back home, but unless a side there matches his wages, we might end up having to subsidise his wages
  • edited October 2021
    In a perfect world we would move on Matthews, Gunter, Watson and Schwarz and bring in stronger players but it seems unlikely. I'm not sure who would take them.
  • Chunes said:
    In a perfect world we would move on Matthews, Gunter, Watson and Schwarz and bring in stronger players but it seems unlikely. I'm not sure who would take them.
    I think you would be supprised, although we would probably have to contribute to the wages.  The issue, with the 1st 2 especially, is we have 1 defender contracted for next season.   Now we are in a position where it has to be one in one out.  Can you expect to sign 7 defenders in the summer? 

Watson has played regularly this season
    Gunter has played regularly this season
    DJ was only signed last January, and is on a long contract. He's one of the investments in young players on long contracts for the future, blah blah
    Schwartz (for his own sake probably) needs to go back home, but unless a side there matches his wages, we might end up having to subsidise his wages

Watson and Gunter have both been regulars in an underperforming team and neither would be greatly missed. Jaiyesimi has been outshone by a temporary loan who seems to have far more upside both as a player and as an investment. Taking a hit on DJ and betting on Blackett-Taylor would be my call. 
  • edited October 2021
    Leuth said:
    DJ has shown that with a bit of confidence he can be a real asset. He has excellent ball control and can skin a player; his decision-making will come. I'd keep both him and CBT around for now.
    I agree. 

If DJ goes it probably means we're looking for a winger. And being in L1 this will almost certainly be one who is pacy and has skill but inconsistent and prone to odd decisions sometimes. In other words... Another version of DJ...

Besides, CBT has been outstanding thus far but his ability was not in question, just his application and again his attitude sometimes. He will almost certainly have a spell when he looks exactly like a player released in L2. 
  • Sponsored links:

• CBT proves Charlton should refocus on 3-6 month contracts, than focus on stability. 

*joke*
  • mendonca said:
    CBT proves Charlton should refocus on 3-6 month contracts, than focus on stability. 

*joke*
    We should give all our new signings long contracts. Except the ones which turn out to be rubbish  ;)
  • msomerton said:
    We need a whole new squad fit enough to play 90+ mins twice a week not run out of puff on 45 mins.

Someone in the north stand toilets should be able to help if we need more puff at HT.

Anyone over 29. 

Gunter and Matthews can go. 
    Watson can go.
    Pearce can go. 
    Schwartz can go. 
    Washington can go. 

Basically even if players are getting minutes, if they're not good enough to get us promoted what's the point? For example, the RBs. They're on big wages stopping us from getting someone better and aren't good enough to be RBs for the promotion push. 

Anyone over 29. 

Watson can go.
    Pearce can go. 
    Schwartz can go. 
    Washington can go. 

Basically even if players are getting minutes, if they're not good enough to get us promoted what's the point? For example, the RBs. They're on big wages stopping us from getting someone better and aren't good enough to be RBs for the promotion push. 
    I imagine most will go when their contracts run out next summer, but nobody is going to just take players like that in January, especially if they're on big money.
  • hermann said:
    msomerton said:
    We need a whole new squad fit enough to play 90+ mins twice a week not run out of puff on 45 mins.

Someone in the north stand toilets should be able to help if we need more puff at HT.
    Covered End *

Anyone over 29. 

Watson can go.
    Pearce can go. 
    Schwartz can go. 
    Washington can go. 

I imagine most will go when their contracts run out next summer, but nobody is going to just take players like that in January, especially if they're on big money.
    We should be attemping to ship them off though. 

That's why I said 'try to shift some deadwood on'. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    cafc4life said:

I do watch games with my own eyes, I think he's an ok footballer for this level, but not anything special and is overrated by many, probably due how crap everyone else has been. 
  • If you offered me Ricky Holmes in his prime or Elliott Lee in his... Well has Lee hit his prime yet?

I'd take Ricky Holmes as it stands, but Lee is only 26. 
  • We need another striker now as well.....